91 years old. Think about that... NINETY-ONE YEARS OLD

Got_Wood

Ralph Wilson: Born in 1918! That’s the end of World War I.

How many successful businesses are owned and run by a 90+ year old?

Answer: None.

Here are some of the older owners in this league and what they’ve done to make their teams successful…

William Clay Ford (81) of the Detroit Lions, has given decision making privelages to his son William, and has a young football guy in Martin Mayhew running the show. Martin was able to trade Roy Williams for a ton of high draft picks, and hire a good young coach in Jim Schwartz. They’ve got a solid young QB in place and appear to be headed in the right direction.

Dan Rooney (77) of the Steelers, has given the majority of football decisions to his son Art II. As well as a young football guy in Kevin Colbert as GM.

Bill Bidwill (78) of the Cardinals has given decision making power to his sons Michael Bidwell, President and Bill Bidwell Jr., VP. And on top of that, have a good GM in place in Rod Graves.

In contrast, the Raiders seem to be stuck in the same situation as the Bills...

Al Davis (80) of the Raiders, is too old to run things on his own. And he’s 10 years younger than Ralph! The most powerful executive on staff is Amy Trask (Chief Executive) and she started with the team as an intern. It’s safe to say that she has no former NFL experience. John Herrera, Senior Executive, started with the Raiders as a ball boy, and joined the team officially in 1978 in PR. Their pro personnel guy was most recently a tight ends coach for the Falcons. The only reason he was hired to the personnel department is because he formerly coached the Raiders o-line in the late 90’s. Davis is just as clueless as Ralph at this point in his life. And their image and performance on the field reflect their poor management.

Bottom line… The stadium lease ends in 2012. Los Angeles wants a team there at the same time, ironically. Unless Ralph sells this team now, this team is as good as gone. He doesn’t know many people in the league any more, he probably doesn’t even own a cell phone or know what the internet is at this point. Seriously. You MUST evolve as a business. And you have to know when to let go and pass your power on to someone capable and motivated to make your business successful. Unfortunately, Ralph doesn’t have a son to hand down decision making power to. But, his time is up. His legacy will remain extremely positive if he sells the team now.

Dan Rooney (77) of the Steelers, has given the majority of football decisions to his son Art II. As well as a young football guy in Kevin Colbert as GM.

I am not sure the Dan Rooney really helps your argument. The reason why stuff was given to Art III is that Dan was given the ambassadorship to Ireland. When he was with the team, he was making the decisions. The last Super Bowl win for the Steelers was under Dan Rooney's control.

I am not sure the Dan Rooney really helps your argument. The reason why stuff was given to Art III is that Dan was given the ambassadorship to Ireland. When he was with the team, he was making the decisions. The last Super Bowl win for the Steelers was under Dan Rooney's control.

Regardless of who had control, Rooney had younger guys giving him perspective in his son Art as well as Kevin Colbert. Colbert has an impressive resume of his own. A competent GM can do a lot for your team.

on a probably too personal level, my family has been dealing with a mini-Bills situation for the past 10-20 years.

My grandfather is almost 90 years old and still will not retire, nor will he allow anyone to come into his business (even from the family). He has worked very hard for over 50 years to establish a nice business owning and managing some commercial properties around WNY.

The way he runs his business is completely inefficient and sometimes backwards from today's business practices. He does not have the ability to accept updates and changes to his processes (nor do i expect him to at that age).

The business and properties are still afloat almost in spite of his best efforts to keep his business in the early 1960s. he has a tough time bringing in legit, big name tenants since most of his practices are old fashioned (and not up to par with what modern businesses expect)

He refuses to sell the business or the properties, fearing that once he stops, he dies (which I understand and dont disagree with). But that means that once he does pass, the family either needs to deal with the taxes AND take over the business, or sell it all off as quickly as possible (just like RWJ and the Bills).

All I can say, from this perspective, is that the chances of this franchise making a big turn around under this current ownership are extremely low. Unless Ralph is willing to turn over control to someone. Which I dont think is going to happen after the taste Donahoe left.

on a probably too personal level, my family has been dealing with a mini-Bills situation for the past 10-20 years.

My grandfather is almost 90 years old and still will not retire, nor will he allow anyone to come into his business (even from the family). He has worked very hard for over 50 years to establish a nice business owning and managing some commercial properties around WNY.

The way he runs his business is completely inefficient and sometimes backwards from today's business practices. He does not have the ability to accept updates and changes to his processes (nor do i expect him to at that age).

The business and properties are still afloat almost in spite of his best efforts to keep his business in the early 1960s. he has a tough time bringing in legit, big name tenants since most of his practices are old fashioned (and not up to par with what modern businesses expect)

He refuses to sell the business or the properties, fearing that once he stops, he dies (which I understand and dont disagree with). But that means that once he does pass, the family either needs to deal with the taxes AND take over the business, or sell it all off as quickly as possible (just like RWJ and the Bills).

All I can say, from this perspective, is that the chances of this franchise making a big turn around under this current ownership are extremely low. Unless Ralph is willing to turn over control to someone. Which I dont think is going to happen after the taste Donahoe left.

That's interesting, thanks for sharing. I completely understand your position.

There was some discussion of Ralph selling a percentage of the team, and maintaining some percentage ownership so he can remain involved. This would be just as good for the team and the city of Buffalo. If Kelly has any kind of group together that's interested in making a move, now is the time. It would be similar to what the Steelers recently accomplished: http://www.steelers.com/article/110915/

The Pittsburgh Steelers announced today that the reorganization of the club's ownership is completed. The transition involved the sale of stock by members of the Rooney and McGinley families to Steelers President, Art Rooney II, along with a group of new shareholders. The new shareholders include a number of individuals who have previously been identified, including, James Haslam III, the Paul Family, Thomas Tull, Bruce Rauner, John Stallworth and the Varischetti Family. New members of the ownership group include: David Tepper, the Paul Sams Family, Ben Statler, and Mike Wilkins.

Not to be one to jump on old people....success of one person's enterprising efforts should not be determined by some one unassociated with the enterprise. In our case, we are merely fans. We have no financial stake in the BILLS. Oh sure, we buy tickets, and DIRECTV, and Bills gear etc, that is financial support, but our livelihood is not predicated on the success of the Bills franchise.

From where we sit... RW is a loser. Owning the club for so long, trading away good players, not drafting one player over the other, not hiring this coach over that coach...etc. The bottom line is THE BOTTOM LINE.. RW is a business man first, a football fan second. How many businessmen do we know at ANY age that gives a crap about the individual customer? NONE...if they tell you otherwise, they are lying...they only care about the BOTTOM LINE. If that means sucking up to you, or pretending to care about what you think, or kicking his mother under the school bus to make a dollar, he will do it.

Like it or not, RW has been VERY successful owning the Buffalo Bills. He bought a team for 25K, that is now worth close too, if not over 1 billion dollars. He gets to keep truck loads of money, the county owns and pays for the maintenance of the stadium... I mean this guy is sitting on easy street ---financially----

If legacy means anything to him, which at this point, I am beginning to think it does, RW will bust his butt to get a SB win before he meets the "worm monsters." (make that MUNCHERS)

Meanwhile, we who sit on the mighty throne of justice, can only pray that WE can make an investment such as what RW made, and live to be 91 years old and a cotton picken Billionaire. Me? I'll be happy just to see my 91st birthday...THAT IS SUCCESS in my book.

That's interesting, thanks for sharing. I completely understand your position.

There was some discussion of Ralph selling a percentage of the team, and maintaining some percentage ownership so he can remain involved. This would be just as good for the team and the city of Buffalo. If Kelly has any kind of group together that's interested in making a move, now is the time. It would be similar to what the Steelers recently accomplished: http://www.steelers.com/article/110915/

And to add to this post, here is the statement made by Rooney to the fans and city of Pittsburgh:

Steelers Chairman Emeritus Dan Rooney said: “This is an important transition for the future of our franchise and our fans. I think it ensures that the stability and tradition of Steelers football can continue for many years.”

It would be a beautiful thing to hear those words come from the mouth of Ralph Wilson.

Not to be one to jump on old people....success of one person's enterprising efforts should not be determined by some one unassociated with the enterprise. In our case, we are merely fans. We have no financial stake in the BILLS. Oh sure, we buy tickets, and DIRECTV, and Bills gear etc, that is financial support, but our livelihood is not predicated on the success of the Bills franchise.

From where we sit... RW is a loser. Owning the club for so long, trading away good players, not drafting one player over the other, not hiring this coach over that coach...etc. The bottom line is THE BOTTOM LINE.. RW is a business man first, a football fan second. How many businessmen do we know at ANY age that gives a crap about the individual customer? NONE...if they tell you otherwise, they are lying...they only care about the BOTTOM LINE. If that means sucking up to you, or pretending to care about what you think, or kicking his mother under the school bus to make a dollar, he will do it.

Like it or not, RW has been VERY successful owning the Buffalo Bills. He bought a team for 25K, that is now worth close too, if not over 1 billion dollars. He gets to keep truck loads of money, the county owns and pays for the maintenance of the stadium... I mean this guy is sitting on easy street ---financially----

If legacy means anything to him, which at this point, I am beginning to think it does, RW will bust his butt to get a SB win before he meets the "worm monsters." (make that MUNCHERS)

Meanwhile, we who sit on the mighty throne of justice, can only pray that WE can make an investment such as what RW made, and live to be 91 years old and a cotton picken Billionaire. Me? I'll be happy just to see my 91st birthday...THAT IS SUCCESS in my book.

Very well said.

This is not meant to ridicule, but Mr. Wilson is clearly mentally incompetent at age 90. I think Russ Brandon is Ralph Wilson's liason between dementia and the real world.

I wouldn't neccessary say mentally incompetant, but his ideas are stale and his decision making has resulted in 0 playoff appearances in 10 years. Its time to hand the team over.

Ralph Wilson: Born in 1918! That’s the end of World War I.

Look at it from the bright side. If the Bills had a young agressive owner he'd probably want to make more money and have a fancy new stadium. That certainly could not happened in Buffalo. So instead of looking for a new coach, all us Bills fans would be looking for a team to root for.

How many successful businesses are owned and run by a 90+ year old?

Answer: None.

Here are some of the older owners in this league and what they’ve done to make their teams successful…

William Clay Ford (81) of the Detroit Lions, has given decision making privelages to his son William, and has a young football guy in Martin Mayhew running the show. Martin was able to trade Roy Williams for a ton of high draft picks, and hire a good young coach in Jim Schwartz. They’ve got a solid young QB in place and appear to be headed in the right direction.

Bill Bidwill (78) of the Cardinals has given decision making power to his sons Michael Bidwell, President and Bill Bidwell Jr., VP. And on top of that, have a good GM in place in Rod Graves.

In contrast, the Raiders seem to be stuck in the same situation as the Bills...

Al Davis (80) of the Raiders, is too old to run things on his own. And he’s 10 years younger than Ralph! The most powerful executive on staff is Amy Trask (Chief Executive) and she started with the team as an intern. It’s safe to say that she has no former NFL experience. John Herrera, Senior Executive, started with the Raiders as a ball boy, and joined the team officially in 1978 in PR. Their pro personnel guy was most recently a tight ends coach for the Falcons. The only reason he was hired to the personnel department is because he formerly coached the Raiders o-line in the late 90’s. Davis is just as clueless as Ralph at this point in his life. And their image and performance on the field reflect their poor management.

Bottom line… The stadium lease ends in 2012. Los Angeles wants a team there at the same time, ironically. Unless Ralph sells this team now, this team is as good as gone. He doesn’t know many people in the league any more, he probably doesn’t even own a cell phone or know what the internet is at this point. Seriously. You MUST evolve as a business. And you have to know when to let go and pass your power on to someone capable and motivated to make your business successful. Unfortunately, Ralph doesn’t have a son to hand down decision making power to. But, his time is up. His legacy will remain extremely positive if he sells the team now.

Ralph Wilson doesn't have a Son does he? His daughter died last year. In all of the cases where the torch was passed there was a son to take it. Ralph doesn't have the luxury. He could pass the torch to Russ Brandon or someone else but people would B word.

The last option is to sell the team to a uncertain future in Buffalo. I don't think anyone here would be happy with that.

This is not meant to ridicule, but Mr. Wilson is clearly mentally incompetent at age 90. I think Russ Brandon is Ralph Wilson's liason between dementia and the real world.

Anyone who would make such a ridiculous statement is the one who is clearly mentally incompetent.

Ralph Wilson doesn't have a Son does he? His daughter died last year. In all of the cases where the torch was passed there was a son to take it. Ralph doesn't have the luxury. He could pass the torch to Russ Brandon or someone else but people would B word.

The last option is to sell the team to a uncertain future in Buffalo. I don't think anyone here would be happy with that.

He has another daughter and a wife who looks half his age.