If you could go back in time

You may wish to offer some details on that one.

Well I've been suffering through grad school in the english department for many years, so there's all those articles and books i've read. But to try and defend this a little more, Marx wrote that: "you can analyze and form value judgements on any cultural phenomenon: literature, art, music, political systems, sport, race relation, etc"

everything he wrote was meant to be applied to all cultural phenomenon. he writing was the birth of modern cultural criticism. Freud then added to the realm of theory and criticism with his extension of marx's ideas and his concept of the uncontentious. In the political and psychiatric world both marx and freud have been discounted but are still heavy names in the theory world.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so I'm gonna give away how much of a nerd I am here... but Isaac Asimov wrote a great book on the paradox of altering time, "End of Eternity." Pick up a copy right away, because I understand that Hollywood is going to butcher it into a film soon, like it did with "I, Robot." Another good one is Ray Bradbury's "A Sound of Thunder," which was already been ruined by a small movie studio a few years ago.

Okay, so I'm gonna give away how much of a nerd I am here... but Isaac Asimov wrote a great book on the paradox of altering time, "End of Eternity." Pick up a copy right away, because I understand that Hollywood is going to butcher it into a film soon, like it did with "I, Robot." Another good one is Ray Bradbury's "A Sound of Thunder," which was already been ruined by a small movie studio a few years ago.

Guess I'm a nerd too.

Well I've been suffering through grad school in the english department for many years, so there's all those articles and books i've read. But to try and defend this a little more, Marx wrote that: "you can analyze and form value judgements on any cultural phenomenon: literature, art, music, political systems, sport, race relation, etc"

everything he wrote was meant to be applied to all cultural phenomenon. he writing was the birth of modern cultural criticism. Freud then added to the realm of theory and criticism with his extension of marx's ideas and his concept of the uncontentious. In the political and psychiatric world both marx and freud have been discounted but are still heavy names in the theory world.

I think I see why you are suffering with English.

Now that I think of it, if you're in to changing history- Read Harry Turtledove: Guns of the South, or his series that starts with- How few remain.

He also wrote two novels regarding what would have happened had the Japanese invaded Hawaii after the attack on Pearl Harbor

Now that I think of it, if you're in to changing history- Read Harry Turtledove: Guns of the South, or his series that starts with- How few remain.

He also wrote two novels regarding what would have happened had the Japanese invaded Hawaii after the attack on Pearl Harbor

Guns of the South was a fun book and fits this thread perfectly.

As for the topic, I would go back and try to convince Buffalo city planners that highways on the waterfront is NOT a great idea.

I would save the lives of Chris Farley and Phil Hartman. I don't want to go back and change history by killing Hitler or anything drastic like that because who knows how the world would have ended up it might have made things worse.

I feel like saving Phil Hartman from his crazy wife and Chris Farley from himself would only make the world a better place because the world would be a lot funnier. I just don't know if I would do anything of substance because as I said before it might not turn out the way you expected.