Change NFL OT rules for the playoffs

It did not play into the GB/AZ game but I was sure thinking that whatever team won the coin flip was going to win. In fact Rogers just missed the winning TD one play before. I have heard all the arguments against it and I simple cannot agree with them. It is inherently unfair to deny a team a possession in OT.

Option #1: Each team gets at least one possession. If the team winning the coin flip scores, the other team gets the ball to win or tie. Sudden death there after.

Option #2: As long as the first team keeps scoring the second will always get a possession. If either team fails to score it becomes sudden death.

PTR

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did you pick this game to complain about it? I love the rules, and sudden death is the way to go. The coin toss winner doesn't always win, and the pressure on the offense to get in field goal range is huge. Rodgers' fumble came on 3rd down, so the sack would've forced a punt, and the game would've been just as exciting either way.

Why did you pick this game to complain about it? I love the rules, and sudden death is the way to go. The coin toss winner doesn't always win, and the pressure on the offense to get in field goal range is huge. Rodgers' fumble came on 3rd down, so the sack would've forced a punt, and the game would've been just as exciting either way.

And if Rodgers had hit the bomb on 1st down why should AZ have been rewarded with another possession for missing the GW FG then failing to play any defense?

NFL OT works, the team that wins the toss wins less than 50% of the time and they didn't win it today either. College OT is a joke.

It did not play into the GB/AZ game but I was sure thinking that whatever team won the coin flip was going to win. In fact Rogers just missed the winning TD one play before. I have heard all the arguments against it and I simple cannot agree with them. It is inherently unfair to deny a team a possession in OT.

Option #1: Each team gets at least one possession. If the team winning the coin flip scores, the other team gets the ball to win or tie. Sudden death there after.

Option #2: As long as the first team keeps scoring the second will always get a possession. If either team fails to score it becomes sudden death.

PTR

Or leave it as is and allow for increased intensity, drama and excitement. I really dislike the "unfair" notion. The Cards should have won it in regulation, but missed an easy FG. So now they deserve a shot in OT? Why?

The only change I think they should consider is whoever gets the ball at the start of the game gets it first in OT. It would add more controversy/strategy to the decision to defer the opening kick off.

NFL overtime sucks,imo. Todays game worked out fine,each team touched the ball. But too often,a coin flip,a short drive and a long FG end a hard fought game in a stupid way. I like the college OT,but I also see it's faults. I can see why people would want something different for the NFL,but the current system stinks. Each team should be guaranteed to touch the ball. It's pretty simple,and it would fix the problem. Either one of the Promos suggestions would work for me.

PTR

Why limit it to just the playoffs I think in all regular season and post season games there should be a revamped OT system.

1- You need a TD to win

2- If you score on your 1st possession (Field goal or TD) the other team gets 1 possession to tie or win (If they tie then it becomes sudden death).

The arguments against it are so stupid well defense is part of the game BUT then you are saying that the other team's D doesn't matter. If you don't believe me take the word of Bob Costas.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/22825103/vp/34102396#34102396

Why limit it to just the playoffs I think in all regular season and post season games there should be a revamped OT system.

1- You need a TD to win

2- If you score on your 1st possession (Field goal or TD) the other team gets 1 possession to tie or win (If they tie then it becomes sudden death).

The arguments against it are so stupid well defense is part of the game BUT then you are saying that the other team's D doesn't matter. If you don't believe me take the word of Bob Costas.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/22825103/vp/34102396#34102396

Couldn't have said it better. It is bizarre.

PTR

NFL overtime sucks,imo. Todays game worked out fine,each team touched the ball. But to often,a coin flip,a short drive and a long FG end a hard fought game in a stupid way.

I did a super quick search and from 2000-2007 that scenario occurred in 37 of 124 OT games. That's less than 30%. So in 70% of OT games both teams get the ball.

Or leave it as is and allow for increased intensity, drama and excitement. I really dislike the "unfair" notion. The Cards should have won it in regulation, but missed an easy FG. So now they deserve a shot in OT? Why?

The only change I think they should consider is whoever gets the ball at the start of the game gets it first in OT. It would add more controversy/strategy to the decision to defer the opening kick off.

So you would be fine if the Bills were having a 45-45 shoot out in the Super Bowl and it went into OT and the other team won the coin toss and won on a field goal? Its one thing if they went on and scored a TD but a Super Bowl decided on an opening drive field goal? At least acknowledge the need to change it to you need a TD to win.

So why doesn't the other team have to play defense Its a team game right why should only half of the teams roster get to decide a game. I hate that argument.

If you win the toss you have the right to choose to play defense. You are not required to take the ball and as matter of fact I can think of several games in Orchard Park where I would have chosen the wind over the ball every time.

I did a super quick search and from 2000-2007 that scenario occurred in 37 of 124 OT games. That's less than 30%. So in 70% of OT games both teams get the ball.

So only 30% of the time there is a BS ending to OT? If the Bills lost a Super Bowl on a first possession possession Field Goal you would be fine with it? I don't get how it wouldn't be improved if you just made it you need a TD to win or both teams get at least one offensive possession.

Think about it one teams Offense battles the whole game and they don't get to step on the field because the defense let up a field goal? In what world is that right?

So only 30% of the time there is a BS ending to OT? If the Bills lost a Super Bowl on a first possession possession Field Goal you would be fine with it? I don't get how it wouldn't be improved if you just made it you need a TD to win or both teams get at least one offensive possession.

Think about it one teams Offense battles the whole game and they don't get to step on the field because the defense let up a field goal? In what world is that right?

Costas made the point that in a game a FG is considered a defensive victory. In OT it's a game-ender, possibly a season-ender.

PTR

If you win the toss you have the right to choose to play defense. You are not required to take the ball and as matter of fact I can think of several games in Orchard Park where I would have chosen the wind over the ball every time.

So Buffalo allows teams to defer and not be at a disadvantage that defends the whole system? Every team that wins the toss wins the game 60% of the time that's too big of a disparity.

So you would be fine if the Bills were having a 45-45 shoot out in the Super Bowl and it went into OT and the other team won the coin toss and won on a field goal? Its one thing if they went on and scored a TD but a Super Bowl decided on an opening drive field goal? At least acknowledge the need to change it to you need a TD to win.

Sudden Death is sudden death and that's what makes football football and not baseball or basketball.

I don't know where this false sense of fairness and entitlement came from in sports but it makes me sick to hear. Lets assume that we give both teams a possession then how is it fair that one team would get the ball first and have to decide on 4th and goal from the one whether to kick the field goal or go for it. The team who has the ball second has the advantage of knowing what is required. How is that "fair"? Maybe we should require both teams to play simultaneously at opposite ends of the field. Of course we'd then need to have 2 possessions so we could switch sides to account for the wind and disproportionality of crowd noise.

In fact, maybe what we should do is what they do in European soccer tournaments and have all playoff games be two game series so each team gets a home game to be fair and ties can be decided by aggregate scoring. That's really really fair. Everyone gets the ball, everyone gets a home game, everyone gets a hug and orange slices after the game. It all works out.