Leslie (Token) Frazer

mdbruce3

I had always thought that the Rooney rule was inane, let alone my objections to Affirmative Action. (BTW, isn't it oxymoronic that an employer can be both EOE & AA?)

However, having an owner give "I didn't know anyone else", or whatever his comment was, as a rationale for only interviewing 2 people from in-house for a GM position, gives me pause. :lol:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

However, having an owner give "I didn't know anyone else", or whatever his comment was, as a rationale for only interviewing 2 people from in-house for a GM position, gives me pause. :lol:

That is exactly what it is intended to rectify. It's all about networking.

There's a story posted on NFL.com. Forgot to link it.

It's still not too late.

But Simon, do you think it still serves a purpose?

It seems like it's done some good in getting some people some opportunities for introductions and conversations. Enough so that it's no longer effective or useful? I still think it could do some more good, and is certainly not doing any harm, so I wouldn't be in an all-fire hurry to toss it aside right now.

Tomlin wouldn't know what the Rooneys already had in mind when they told Cowher to hit the highway.

You're my favorite poster on this board because you don't sugar coat it and tell it like it is, but on this occasion you're wrong.

Idiotic Tool

Do you really think that the owners are sitting in their mens or country clubs thinking about ways to keep the brother down? They interview people that are qualified. PERIOD.

Obviously there are people of color who aren't qualified but they get an interview now based on a system that doesn't give a fair shake to the people that actually deserve it. Affirmative action is and always has been a way to actually keep the race issue at the forefront. There is no need for it except to satisfy the moronic thinking of the libs.

haha..."the libs" :lol:

ok, now i understand. you're one of them.

You're my favorite poster on this board because you don't sugar coat it and tell it like it is, but on this occasion you're wrong.

Let me put it subtly as it would be inappropriate for me to say more than need be.

A couple weeks ago I went down to the Pburgh/GB game. I spent the afternoon walking around on the sidelines with a few kids that I brought because a very highly placed member of the Stillers front office gave me several field passes. This individual (whose name you have probably read in newspapers, etc) does not mind talking to people he trusts about how some things go, or even at times how things are going to go. If I tell you that Cowher's exit from Pittsburgh was not entirely his own idea, you can believe it. And if I tell you that the Rooney's knew what they were doing before Tomlin did, you can believe that, too. And if I was more chatty than I should be, I could tell you how the Stillers staff is going to look a little different than it currently does.

And that's all I got to say about that. /Forrest Gump

Some teams are circumventing the Rooney Rule.

Nothing worse then interviewing for a job later to learn they had their sights set on another person. I've even declined putting in applications in my orgainization when I find out the bosses want to hire one particular person. All the reports said it was Pete Carroll. I don't know anything about Frazier but did he want to go for the interview? Did he feel pressured to do it? (maybe? probably?)

The Seahawks never wanted an open coaching search. They didn't want other whites or minorities, they wanted Pete Carroll. But before they could hire him they had (HAD!) to interview somebody they didn't want and no intention to hire.

Gee... great system.

Here is my deal, If I am an owner I am going after the guy I want. !@#$ the NFL. If it he is White, black, yellow or pink with purple polkadots I don't care.

Here is my deal, what if an owner wants Tony Dungy and just does that interview only? Shouldn't they lose draft picks if they don't interview a white guy? Why not lose picks if they don't interview a Latino and an Oriental as well?

Its all pure bull ****.

Let me put it subtly as it would be inappropriate for me to say more than need be.

A couple weeks ago I went down to the Pburgh/GB game. I spent the afternoon walking around on the sidelines with a few kids that I brought because a very highly placed member of the Stillers front office gave me several field passes. This individual (whose name you have probably read in newspapers, etc) does not mind talking to people he trusts about how some things go, or even at times how things are going to go. If I tell you that Cowher's exit from Pittsburgh was not entirely his own idea, you can believe it. And if I tell you that the Rooney's knew what they were doing before Tomlin did, you can believe that, too. And if I was more chatty than I should be, I could tell you how the Stillers staff is going to look a little different than it currently does.

And that's all I got to say about that. /Forrest Gump

Simon I don't doubt the Cowher story one bit, however I grew up with Tomlin, and while I'm not going to tell you we were the best of friends we have several mutual friends that ran in the same circle. Him being hired by the Steelers was just as much of a surprise to him as it was to us. If the Rooneys had him pinned from the get go than fine, but it was surprise to him and from what I've heard other coaches around the league.

Simon I don't doubt the Cowher story one bit, however I grew up with Tomlin, and while I'm not going to tell you we were the best of friends we have several mutual friends that ran in the same circle. Him being hired by the Steelers was just as much of a surprise to him as it was to us. If the Rooneys had him pinned from the get go than fine, but it was surprise to him and from what I've heard other coaches around the league.

I don't know if he was pinned from the get-go but he is somebody they were very interested in well before they hired him.

I haven't had the chance to meet Tomlin yet. Is he as good a dude as he seems to be?

Idiotic Tool

Do you really think that the owners are sitting in their mens or country clubs thinking about ways to keep the brother down? They interview people that are qualified. PERIOD.

Obviously there are people of color who aren't qualified but they get an interview now based on a system that doesn't give a fair shake to the people that actually deserve it. Affirmative action is and always has been a way to actually keep the race issue at the forefront. There is no need for it except to satisfy the moronic thinking of the libs.

What's with all the name calling? It's not necessary to make your point in spite of the fact your point isn't well thought out. You assume that there "obviously" people of color who aren't qualified to get an interview. That is your assumption. Who are these candidates who are not qualified? Nobody is getting an interview that is not qualified for the job. If they weren't qualified they wouldn't get an interview at all. The point of the rule is to get QUALIFIED coaches an interview they might not otherwise have gotten. There have been assistant coaches of color for decades. Art Shell was the first head coach in the NFL in what, '89? There were no qualified coaches before that or they weren't a part of the "network"? Or deeper than that, in spite of their qualifications, these coaches weren't seen by these owners to have the ability to be in charge because that was the prevailing sentiment in the country at large?

In terms of the broader issue of affirmative action it only keeps the race issue at the forefront because most people don't pay very little attention. It's a program designed to redress discrimination in general not just race based discrimination. Who has benefited the most from affirmative action programs? White women.

Here is my deal, If I am an owner I am going after the guy I want. !@#$ the NFL. If it he is White, black, yellow or pink with purple polkadots I don't care.

Here is my deal, what if an owner wants Tony Dungy and just does that interview only? Shouldn't they lose draft picks if they don't interview a white guy? Why not lose picks if they don't interview a Latino and an Oriental as well?

Its all pure bull ****.

The Rooney rule also incorporates Latinos or Asian coaching candidates as well. Did you not read that the FP Alliance was asked about Ron Rivera's status last week? A white guy who is qualified won't have trouble getting his interview.

Idiotic Tool

No, they are not plotting to keep them down nor are they planning ways to better integrate the ranks of HC's. How does the system not give a fair shake to those who deserve it? By forcing owners to look at people they would under different circumstances not consider...and this is not a Rep/ Dem, Liberal/ CON issue. Go pick another forum for political conversation.

Frazier, token or not, brings something away from just being interviewed.

Many head coaches do not land the fist joib the interview for but the exposure is helpful none the less.

Jerry Gray interview, that was pure BS. I thought Jerry was a good guy when he was in Buffalo; since then he has been sued by Terrance Mcgee and demoted to a position coach, he was NEVER going to get that job in Washington, no how. He is not a legit head coaching candidate. Frazier is, so the interview alnone, was a benefit to him.