OT - Ron Artest Will Not Play this year

EZC-Boston

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By definition of the law, it was assault.

Yes or no?

131557[/snapback]

By definition of common sense, a 7 foot tall man who weighs close to 250 pounds was hit by a small plastic cup.

Artest then proved his manhood by attacking some kid half his size who still had a drink in his hand and obviously didn't throw anything. Of course, Artest didn't see any reason to attack Ben Wallace, and he had a pretty good look at Wallace punching him in the neck.

By definition of common sense, a 7 foot tall man who weighs close to 250 pounds was hit by a small plastic cup. 

Artest then proved his manhood by attacking some kid half his size who still had a drink in his hand and obviously didn't throw anything.  Of course, Artest didn't see any reason to attack Ben Wallace, and he had a pretty good look at Wallace punching him in the neck.

131571[/snapback]

1. Ron Artest isn't afraid of Ben Wallace. Give me a break.

2. I didn't ask you for your "common sense" version, I asked for the legal answer.

3. He did not attack a kid.

I'm just asking.  None of us here are lawyers (I'm not sure, but pretty sure).

How is it defined?  Is that assault or not according to the law?

131566[/snapback]

Actually, there's quite a few lawyers, and police who post here. Used to be a law professor, as well.

You exist in whatever world you do. The fact remains that what appears to be a large majority can not reconcile your forgiveness of folks like Arafat while you defend to the death some overpayed punk with the emotional stability of a 10 year old because he plays for your team. Somehow, some way anyone can do anything if it's to the good of your viewing habits. There's more to life than watching sports and memorizing statistics. There's a whole big old world out there that you seem to be unaware of. Back over the election period you demonstrated that. Nothing to do with whether you are liberal or conservative-you simply don't know.

Lot's of people here have lived a lot of life. Been through some interesting and often hard and tragic times. Through that, people develop a sense of worldliness that is somehow lost on you. Perhaps there will be a time where you will listen to some of the things that those who have gone before you, and those that have gone places you never will and perhaps try to learn a couple of things.

It's so often said that this place was/is/used to be a family. Families don't let someone wander into the traffic, even if it means scolding them harshly. If you want to play in the traffic, fine, that's up to you. Just my opinion, but I can't see where it would hurt to open that thick head of yours once in awhile for some input.

You can use it, or not. Doesn't appear that learning anything new has been on your agenda for some time.

In short, try growing up. It might feel pretty good.

1. Ron Artest isn't afraid of Ben Wallace.  Give me a break.

2. I didn't ask you for your "common sense" version, I asked for the legal answer.

3.  He did not attack a kid.

131577[/snapback]

1. Why? Because he's your hero? Oh, OK.

2. It would actually be simple battery.

3. You know the victim or something?

I'm just asking.  None of us here are lawyers (I'm not sure, but pretty sure).

How is it defined?  Is that assault or not according to the law?

131566[/snapback]

There doesn't appear to be an easy answer, but I'd say the cup throwing is probably not. From A Layperson's Guide to Criminal Law:

Simple Assault

The crime of assault can range from simple assault, which is usually a misdemeanor offense, to first-degree assault, in which the defendant causes serious physical injury to the victim. A simple assault is generally defined as an unlawful attempt to injure the victim, coupled with the present ability to commit the violent act. This means that the defendant acts in a threatening manner toward the victim and takes steps toward accomplishing the goal of injuring the victim. Under these circumstances, although the defendant does not actually physically harm the victim, the defendant's threatening conduct nevertheless causes the victim to be in reasonable fear of receiving a physical attack (a battery). When examining whether the defendant's conduct rises to the level of a simple assault, several factors must be considered. First, words alone, no matter how abusive or threatening, are not sufficient to constitute an assault. The criminal law does not punish people for having bad thoughts or expressing them to others. If criminal liability were premised on words alone, it would simply be too difficult to prove that the defendant uttered the statements with the intent to carry out a crime as opposed to bluffing or joking with the victim. There must be some other conduct accompanying the words to assist in determining and proving the defendant's actual intent. Other conduct evidence might include threatening gestures that accompanied the defendant's words, the presence of a weapon and/or the physical proximity of the defendant to the victim.

1.  Why?  Because he's your hero?  Oh, OK.

2.  It would actually be simple battery. 

3.  You know the victim or something?

131582[/snapback]

1. Ron Artest is not a hero, in fact I would like to see him traded at some point, but only for equal value, and basketball wise he is a top 15 player in the NBA.

2. OK it's battery, a crime was committed against Artest of a physical nature. Glad we have determined that.

3. I don't know the victim, and neither does anyone else here claiming Artest attacked a kid.

1.  Ron Artest is not a hero, in fact I would like to see him traded at some point, but only for equal value, and basketball wise he is a top 15 player in the NBA.

2.  OK it's battery, a crime was committed against Artest of a physical nature.  Glad we have determined that.

3.  I don't know the victim, and neither does anyone else here claiming Artest attacked a kid.

131586[/snapback]

1. Maybe Isiah will do it. He's pretty stupid. Otherwise, good luck with even half what that cancer is worth.

3. Reasonable people are going off the fact that the guy he attacked was probably about 5'7" tall and 140 pounds. You are arguing semantics because the guy in question plays for your favorite team. If the situation was reversed, you'd be screaming like a short bus windowlicker who had his snack pack stolen.

1.  Maybe Isiah will do it.  He's pretty stupid.  Otherwise, good luck with even half what that cancer is worth.

3.  Reasonable people are going off the fact that the guy he attacked was probably about 5'7" tall and 140 pounds.  You are arguing semantics because the guy in question plays for your favorite team.  If the situation was reversed, you'd be screaming like a short bus windowlicker who had his snack pack stolen.

131587[/snapback]

Why did you skip number 2? Is it because you realize that if a crime of a physical nature such as battery is committed against someone they have the right to defend themselves perhaps?

Not trying to bust your balls, just want to see what you have to say to that.

Why did you skip number 2?  Is it because you realize that if a crime of a physical nature such as battery is committed against someone they have the right to defend themselves perhaps?

Not trying to bust your balls, just want to see what you have to say to that.

131593[/snapback]

I'm liscenced to carry a concealed firearm. Do you think that I have justification to put two in the chest to someone if they toss a plastic beer cup at me?

Darin have you told your wife the truth about your "special friend" Pete?

She deserves to know.

131543[/snapback]

If you're going to bring Darin's wife into this little word-vomit-fest, you should be aware that she could kill you with one hand...