be careful what you wish for w/regard to coaches

I for one think Frazier would be a good choice. Look at the playoff teams - most are led by first time coaches who had been assistant coaches: Ryan, Lewis, Caldwell, Harbaugh, Andy Reid, McCarthy, Childress, Whisenhunt, and Payton. Only three had prior head coaching experience (Belichick, Wade, and Norv Turner).

Am I crazy to think that Cowher isn't going to have the proverbial fire in the belly at this point in his career? He's been to the mountaintop, and the record of former SB winning coaches winning another SB (or even doing well) is pretty discouraging. What's luring him is money more than anything.

As for Marty, yes, he's never won, and I'm guessing it eats at him. But to me it looks like the Rams hiring an old Chuck Knox in the early 90s - a guy with three successful regular season runs (LA, Bills, Seattle) who wasn't up to it anymore. Marty is pretty old.

As for Frazier, there isn't anyone out there as far as I can tell who thinks he's a bad choice -- he seems to be well regarded by just about everyone.

I for one think Frazier would be a good choice. Look at the playoff teams - most are led by first time coaches who had been assistant coaches: Ryan, Lewis, Caldwell, Harbaugh, Andy Reid, McCarthy, Childress, Whisenhunt, and Payton. Only three had prior head coaching experience (Belichick, Wade, and Norv Turner).

Am I crazy to think that Cowher isn't going to have the proverbial fire in the belly at this point in his career? He's been to the mountaintop, and the record of former SB winning coaches winning another SB (or even doing well) is pretty discouraging. What's luring him is money more than anything.

As for Marty, yes, he's never won, and I'm guessing it eats at him. But to me it looks like the Rams hiring an old Chuck Knox in the early 90s - a guy with three successful regular season runs (LA, Bills, Seattle) who wasn't up to it anymore. Marty is pretty old.

As for Frazier, there isn't anyone out there as far as I can tell who thinks he's a bad choice -- he seems to be well regarded by just about everyone.

Marty has proven he knows how to build a winner out of crap, and he can do it quickly

The concern with his age is mitigated by bringing Brian as the succession plan. As a bonus, you get someone very adept at developing young QBs. (Sanchez, Brees, Rivers) Now they just need a talent evaluator who can find that good young QB.

Marty should be a no brainer

Marty has proven he knows how to build a winner out of crap, and he can do it quickly

The concern with his age is mitigated by bringing Brian as the succession plan. As a bonus, you get someone very adept at developing young QBs. (Sanchez, Brees, Rivers) Now they just need a talent evaluator who can find that good young QB.

Bring Brian in as a...what? OC/AHC? The Jets would probably slap the "AHC" on him to prevent it.

The aging process affects people. Not all, but most. Chuck Knox was every bit as successful as Schottenheimer in three previous stints, and when he made a go of it with the Rams in the early 1990s it was pretty sad to watch.

Frazier is 50 years old, never been a HC and we have no idea what kind of offense he brings to the table or who would follow him to be his assistants. I have seen his defense, and I am not impressed by their efficiency considering the sheer amount of high priced veteran talent they have.

So, in short, I'm not sure what he brings to the table exactly. A fiery personality? Haslett has that. A motivator? People look at Mike Tomlin as an example. Everyone wanted the next Mike Tomlin last offseason. But the guy basically inherited Cowher's staff and a winning team. In some respects the same can be said of Harbaugh. How are these guys fairing without inheriting already great defenses at the very least. Those guys aren't the standard, they were hired by already strong organizations that just needed some freshening up. The Bills need an overhaul, this is a MUCH bigger job.

The answer here is either getting a proven commodity or if that can't be done, an inspired young coach who is going to turn around the offensive side of the ball.

The aging process affects people. Not all, but most. Chuck Knox was every bit as successful as Schottenheimer in three previous stints, and when he made a go of it with the Rams in the early 1990s it was pretty sad to watch.

So, why exactly do you like Frazier? Just because he shares a common inexperience with those guys?

and yet we are relying on a 70 year old guy to rebuild the talent on this club, including hiring the HC.

The beauty of hiring Marty is that you get his son as well - who becomes the natural transition to the next generation - which protects the team from a meltdown from Marty. Brian also has great ability at grooming young QBs, another skillset severely lacking at OBD for over 15 years.

In any event, what Marty brings is more than just day to day coaching. He will define the attitude and personality into a tough hard nosed team - a far cry from the soft club Marv/Dick approach prevalent in the past.

and yet we are relying on a 70 year old guy to rebuild the talent on this club, including hiring the HC.

The beauty of hiring Marty is that you get his son as well - who becomes the natural transition to the next generation - which protects the team from a meltdown from Marty. Brian also has great ability at grooming young QBs, another skillset severely lacking at OBD for over 15 years.

In any event, what Marty brings is more than just day to day coaching. He will define the attitude and personality into a tough hard nosed team - a far cry from the soft club Marv/Dick approach prevalent in the past.

Seriously, does anyone even pay attention to the fact that Marty, himself, has said he has no plans to coach again. It's not some inside scoop from a bartender or an internet blogger. Marty, when asked, has said he has no plans on returning to coaching. So, why, why ,why do we have to continue hearing his name brought up as though there's some chance he'll magically change his mind?

It's the same with the Billick talk. For all his comments, the Bills still have not comtacted him. Doesn't that say it all right there? For whatever reason Nix doesn't like Billick. Who knows why but it apears to be the case. It's pointless to keep bringing up Billick's name when he hasn't even been contacted by the Bills several months after the HC job became available.

Frazier is 50 years old, never been a HC and we have no idea what kind of offense he brings to the table or who would follow him to be his assistants. I have seen his defense, and I am not impressed by their efficiency considering the sheer amount of high priced veteran talent they have.

So, in short, I'm not sure what he brings to the table exactly. A fiery personality? Haslett has that. A motivator? People look at Mike Tomlin as an example. Everyone wanted the next Mike Tomlin last offseason. But the guy basically inherited Cowher's staff and a winning team. In some respects the same can be said of Harbaugh. How are these guys fairing without inheriting already great defenses at the very least. Those guys aren't the standard, they were hired by already strong organizations that just needed some freshening up. The Bills need an overhaul, this is a MUCH bigger job.

The answer here is either getting a proven commodity or if that can't be done, an inspired young coach who is going to turn around the offensive side of the ball.

what he said

Looks like Perry Fewell is taking the DC job in Chicago. Meanwhile, the clown car that is the Bills front office continues to circle the center ring with virtually all the same bozos as piloted the team to this brink getting nothing but promotions. Dick Jauron was a disaster, but he was well respected around the NFL. Somehow, it seems pinning all the franchise's problems on him hasn't led to beaucoups candidates rushing forward to join this circus and put their heads in the mouth of the lion. Maybe we can trade the flying circus midget for a bearded lady.

So, why exactly do you like Frazier? Just because he shares a common inexperience with those guys?

I'll confess that I've read a bit about him on PFW and various other sites, and the sense I get is that while he's a perfectly fine DC, people think he's more a "leader of men" than a coordinator. That is, he sees the big picture w/regard to staff, overall team philosophy, etc. Apparently, Parcells was extremely impressed with him. He was a good player too (not that it matters).

As for his defenses, they've been quite strong in Minny, so I don't know why people are criticizing him for that. The numbers are pretty good.

I think may of us just fear Frazier will be a tampa 2 coach and the tampa 2 doesnt play out in buffalo. You need a Ravens/Jets like defense

I get the sense that he's not especially doctrinaire about these things. Minny is built for the Tampa 2, so it makes sense there, but for god's sake he was a starting CB on Buddy Ryan's 46 defense. That D is pretty much the opposite of the Tampa 2 in terms of risk management ...

I get the sense that he's not especially doctrinaire about these things. Minny is built for the Tampa 2, so it makes sense there, but for god's sake he was a starting CB on Buddy Ryan's 46 defense. That D is pretty much the opposite of the Tampa 2 in terms of risk management ...
If he promises NO TAMPA 2 and he will draft big strong LBs and DL than I am for him. We have lead league in injuries and thats because we are too damn Small