Schottenheimer's OFFICIAL THREAD

papazoid

Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:53 am EST

Marty Schottenheimer would be the ideal choice for the Bills

By MJD of Yahoo Sports

The perpetual knock on Marty Schottenheimer is that he chokes in playoff games. How does a man develop such a reputation? Well, the first step is to make the playoffs a lot.

How's that sound to you, Buffalo fans? Do you like the idea of the playoffs? Does that sound like an appealing alternative to, I don't know, say, 6-10? Or 7-9? Then Marty Schottenheimer is your guy.

I know, you probably wanted Bill Cowher. He comes with a couple of Super Bowl rings, the intimidating chin, uncontrollable spittle and a few more headlines. He's younger and more exciting than Schottenheimer. If he's your first choice, that's fair enough.

If you can't get him, though (and it looks like you can't), wouldn't his mentor be a nice consolation prize? Cowher and Schottenheimer have very similar football philosophies. They both consider themselves teachers more than coaches. As football coaches, they're just about the same guy, only one's proven that he can win a Super Bowl, and the other hasn't.

What Schottenheimer will do is come in and teach your guys how to play football. He'll focus on the fundamentals and playing together as a team, and it will work. He just wins football games. In his 21 years as a head coach in the NFL, he's made the playoffs 13 times.

Will he win you a Super Bowl? Probably not, but you're the Buffalo Bills. Let's take baby steps here.

Schottenheimer coached the Chargers for five years, and then was fired because the team couldn't believe he could get them over the hump and bring home a Lombardi trophy. In those five years, though, Schottenheimer took the Chargers from a mediocrity team to a level where they felt like a Super Bowl win was in play.

Maybe that makes me biased, or maybe it makes me a guy who knows what Schottenheimer brings to the table. I see him as a guy who teaches, builds and wins, and I see the Bills as a team that needs a guy like that.

If the Bills hire him, and then one day fire him because they don't feel like he's the guy to get them over the Super Bowl hump, he will have done his job.

Larry must have finally given in and started using the internet. At least we know where his story came from.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marty's Pro Football coaching career.......success at 4 stops......(cowher only 1 )

Cleveland Browns:

In 1980, he was hired as the defensive coordinator for the Cleveland Browns. Schottenheimer became Cleveland's head coach midway through the 1984 season, replacing fired head coach Sam Rutigliano. Schottenheimer would remain with the Browns until 1988, amassing a 44-27 (.620) regular-season record and a 2-4 (.333) mark in the playoffs, including four playoff appearances, three AFC Central Division titles, and two trips to the AFC Championship Game (both against the Denver Broncos).

Kansas City Chiefs:

Schottenheimer spent 10 seasons as head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs from 1989 to 1998 recording an impressive 101-58-1 regular season record (.634) including three division titles, seven playoff appearances, and a trip to the AFC Championship game in 1993, losing to the Buffalo Bills. After a disappointing 7–9 season in 1998, Schottenheimer resigned as Chiefs head coach on January 11, 1999.

Washington Redskins

After working as a football analyst for ESPN from 1999 to 2000, Schottenheimer was hired as head coach of the Washington Redskins for the 2001 season. Schottenheimer's Redskins became the first team in NFL history to win five consecutive games immediately after losing its first five games. The Redskins would win eight of their final eleven games to narrowly miss the post season. Despite this momentum, in a controversial move, Daniel Snyder, the owner of the Redskins, fired Schottenheimer on January 13, 2002 after just one 8–8 season to make room for former University of Florida head coach Steve Spurrier, under whom Washington went 12-20 in the next two seasons.

San Diego Chargers

The San Diego Chargers hired Schottenheimer as their 13th head coach on January 29, 2002. Schottenheimer posted a 47–33 record (.588) with the Chargers. His success didn't come immediately, as the team posted a 4–12 record in 2003, thereby "earning" the first overall pick in the draft (this was the last time that a team with the worst record in the NFL kept its head coach the following season, even considering the 3 other 4–12 teams that season replaced their head coaches, Oakland, Arizona, and the New York Giants hiring Norv Turner, Dennis Green, and Tom Coughlin, respectively). He was named NFL Coach Of The Year for the 2004 NFL season. Schottenheimer led the team to 2 playoff appearances, his 12th and 13th as a head coach. However, both appearances resulted in disappointing losses to the underdog New York Jets in overtime in 2005 and the New England Patriots in 2007, bringing his playoff record to 5–13. Schottenheimer was abruptly fired by San Diego on February 12, 2007. Reasons for his firing include a strained relationship with general manager A.J. Smith, which reached a breaking point when 4 assistants (Cam Cameron, Wade Phillips, Rob Chudzinski and Greg Manusky) left for positions with other teams. It should be noted that these coaches left to pursue higher level opportunities with other teams, instead of merely making a lateral move to another team in which they would be doing the very same thing they were doing at San Diego.

Buffalo Bills

The Buffalo Bills hired Schottenheimer on January 15, 2010 just as Thurman Thomas predicted.......lol......fast forward to 2015 as Bills fans finally rejoice everywhere as they receive the elusive prize at the end of the rainbow......( see papazoid's avatar).

Marty's Pro Football coaching career.......success at 4 stops......(cowher only 1 )

Cleveland Browns:

In 1980, he was hired as the defensive coordinator for the Cleveland Browns. Schottenheimer became Cleveland's head coach midway through the 1984 season, replacing fired head coach Sam Rutigliano. Schottenheimer would remain with the Browns until 1988, amassing a 44-27 (.620) regular-season record and a 2-4 (.333) mark in the playoffs, including four playoff appearances, three AFC Central Division titles, and two trips to the AFC Championship Game (both against the Denver Broncos).

Kansas City Chiefs:

Schottenheimer spent 10 seasons as head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs from 1989 to 1998 recording an impressive 101-58-1 regular season record (.634) including three division titles, seven playoff appearances, and a trip to the AFC Championship game in 1993, losing to the Buffalo Bills. After a disappointing 7–9 season in 1998, Schottenheimer resigned as Chiefs head coach on January 11, 1999.

Washington Redskins

After working as a football analyst for ESPN from 1999 to 2000, Schottenheimer was hired as head coach of the Washington Redskins for the 2001 season. Schottenheimer's Redskins became the first team in NFL history to win five consecutive games immediately after losing its first five games. The Redskins would win eight of their final eleven games to narrowly miss the post season. Despite this momentum, in a controversial move, Daniel Snyder, the owner of the Redskins, fired Schottenheimer on January 13, 2002 after just one 8–8 season to make room for former University of Florida head coach Steve Spurrier, under whom Washington went 12-20 in the next two seasons.

San Diego Chargers

The San Diego Chargers hired Schottenheimer as their 13th head coach on January 29, 2002. Schottenheimer posted a 47–33 record (.588) with the Chargers. His success didn't come immediately, as the team posted a 4–12 record in 2003, thereby "earning" the first overall pick in the draft (this was the last time that a team with the worst record in the NFL kept its head coach the following season, even considering the 3 other 4–12 teams that season replaced their head coaches, Oakland, Arizona, and the New York Giants hiring Norv Turner, Dennis Green, and Tom Coughlin, respectively). He was named NFL Coach Of The Year for the 2004 NFL season. Schottenheimer led the team to 2 playoff appearances, his 12th and 13th as a head coach. However, both appearances resulted in disappointing losses to the underdog New York Jets in overtime in 2005 and the New England Patriots in 2007, bringing his playoff record to 5–13. Schottenheimer was abruptly fired by San Diego on February 12, 2007. Reasons for his firing include a strained relationship with general manager A.J. Smith, which reached a breaking point when 4 assistants (Cam Cameron, Wade Phillips, Rob Chudzinski and Greg Manusky) left for positions with other teams. It should be noted that these coaches left to pursue higher level opportunities with other teams, instead of merely making a lateral move to another team in which they would be doing the very same thing they were doing at San Diego.

I'm pretty sure most Folks know Marty Ball and his Record...All this still does not mean he's interested in Coaching The Bills...He's 66 Years Old...He lives in a warm-weather City and Golfs all the time...It's going to take a near-perfect situation to get his interest...A situation like Carolina or Dallas...The Bills are at the beginnning of a MAJOR overhaul...I just can't see why Marty would be interested at all...

Don't get me wrong...I'd take Marty Schottenheimer in a heartbeat at this point...But there is absolutely no evidence thusfar that he is interested...And I don't want his son so much...So the HC/Advisor thing is just dumb if you ask me...

Anyway...We'll see soon enough... :ph34r:

I'm pretty sure most Folks know Marty Ball and his Record...All this still does not mean he's interested in Coaching The Bills...He's 66 Years Old...He lives in a warm-weather City and Golfs all the time...It's going to take a near-perfect situation to get his interest...A situation like Carolina or Dallas...The Bills are at the beginnning of a MAJOR overhaul...I just can't see why Marty would be interested at all...

Don't get me wrong...I'd take Marty Schottenheimer in a heartbeat at this point...But there is absolutely no evidence thusfar that he is interested...And I don't want his son so much...So the HC/Advisor thing is just dumb if you ask me...

Anyway...We'll see soon enough... :ph34r:

i forgot the happy ending:

Buffalo Bills

The Buffalo Bills hired Schottenheimer on January 15, 2010 just as Thurman Thomas predicted.......lol......fast forward to 2015 as Bills fans finally rejoice everywhere as they receive the elusive prize at the end of the rainbow......( see papazoid's avatar).

Rex Ryan comes from a coaching family and has made overtures to Brian Schottenheimer that he would allow him to go with his Dad according to John Clayton.  The Bills could also name him assistant Head Coach to give him a promotion that would allow him to move.Marty as head coach with Brian as Assistant Head Coach/OC would be the best scenario for me.  I would actually prefer this tandem over Cowher, Marty has shown he knows how to rebuild a team.  I was very impressed with Brian's play calling against the Bengals.That all being said, it appears that Ralph does not like Marty for some reason. If they wanted Marty they could have had him weeks ago, he has softened his stance with regards to returning.

What about your scenario with a promised timetable where Brian takes over as head man. Then Marty moves to a role of cunsultant or upper management position.

as i have stated many times before here, i think Cowher is the first choice of Russ Brandon because in addition to being an excellenat choice, Cowher would by far generate the most buzz resulting in ticket sales. I also think that Marty is the secret first choice of Buddy Nix because of their well documented friendship and success in san diego. Neither buddy nor Marty want the embarrassing situation where marty expresses interest in the job only to be denied if Cowher says yes. So, as soon as the Cowher situation is resolved, if he removes himself from our job, i look for Nix to reach out to Marty.

ok.....I'm on board. :wallbash:

i'd be thrilled with marty as the HC. he's not a re-tread. he's a proven winner. and i'd love it if his son came with him too. he also has a track record of knowing how to develop a rookie QB.

part of me is nervous about cowher as HC. i wonder if he's more concerned with cashing a big check instead of building a winner. look at his demands - does that sound like a man that is motivated to win and really believes he can win no matter what? the fact that belichick is in our division and the chance to prove that you're a better coach than him 2x a year should be motivation enough. instead, cowher comes off as a guy who is trying to maintain his image, instead of trying to add to it.

What about your scenario with a promised timetable where Brian takes over as head man. Then Marty moves to a role of cunsultant or upper management position.

I love it, I think it would work.

As for why don't we understand that Marty don't want to coach again, he made the same statements before accepting jobs with Washington and San Diego. His original statment was he was put his time in and is done and now states that he won't shut the door on anything unless he has too.

I don't think the job has been offered to him and he is not going to say he wants to come back if there really isn't an offer to coach. I think Ralph has put the kaboosh on Marty. I get that bad feeling that we are going to end up with Leslie. Not saying Leslie won't work, just am skeptical about his lack of head coaching experience and working with a loaded roster. I watch a lot of Vikings football and the D has a lot of bend in it at the end of games. They have a hard time putting teams away.

i'd be thrilled with marty as the HC. he's not a re-tread. he's a proven winner. and i'd love it if his son came with him too. he also has a track record of knowing how to develop a rookie QB.

part of me is nervous about cowher as HC. i wonder if he's more concerned with cashing a big check instead of building a winner. look at his demands - does that sound like a man that is motivated to win and really believes he can win no matter what? the fact that belichick is in our division and the chance to prove that you're a better coach than him 2x a year should be motivation enough. instead, cowher comes off as a guy who is trying to maintain his image, instead of trying to add to it.

Or maybe he's worried about RW's history of putting the emphasis on the bottom line instead of winning.

What part of 'I am done coaching' is everyone missing? The man flat said he does not want to coach again.

But if they keep saying they want him, then he will come. Maybe when Cowher says no they can put up another billboard asking for Marty :wallbash:

Plus, Marty has never actually said "No I will not come back out of retirement to coach Buffalo", he has said pretty much everything else though, and since him and Buddy are good buddies, all Nix has to do is give him a call and he is here, just like all Ralph has to do is offer Cowher a ton of money and he is here

But if they keep saying they want him, then he will come. Maybe when Cowher says no they can put up another billboard asking for Marty :wallbash:

Plus, Marty has never actually said "No I will not come back out of retirement to coach Buffalo", he has said pretty much everything else though, and since him and Buddy are good buddies, all Nix has to do is give him a call and he is here, just like all Ralph has to do is offer Cowher a ton of money and he is here

Your wrong in that the Buffalo Bills organization have not reached out to Marty with an offer. They did reach out to Cowher and he appears to have declined. The people who want Marty are not the same as the people who are clinging on to hope that Cowher will somehow change his mind.

Marty is not going to say he wants a job that hasn't even been offered to him. Maybe he knows Ralph is not fond of him and will deny interest because he knows there is no chance of being offered the job. If you can show me that he was contacted by anyone in the organization about the job and declined, I would accept that he does not want to coach here.

I think the billboard idea will never work and that all the money should have went to Hunter's Hope.

Your wrong in that the Buffalo Bills organization have not reached out to Marty with an offer. They did reach out to Cowher and he appears to have declined. The people who want Marty are not the same as the people who are clinging on to hope that Cowher will somehow change his mind.

Marty is not going to say he wants a job that hasn't even been offered to him. Maybe he knows Ralph is not fond of him and will deny interest because he knows there is no chance of being offered the job. If you can show me that he was contacted by anyone in the organization about the job and declined, I would accept that he does not want to coach here.

I think the billboard idea will never work and that all the money should have went to Hunter's Hope.

#1- the bills will NOT reach out to marty until the Cowher offer is resolved.

#2- Cowher has NOT declined.....he is thinking about it and has not accepted.

#3- the billboard idea is awesome. let's a prospective coach know the fans really want him. the billboard is electronic and can be changed daily as circumstances warrant..... AND money has been raised for a worthy cause that otherwise would not have been.

#1- the bills will NOT reach out to marty until the Cowher offer is resolved.

#2- Cowher has NOT declined.....he is thinking about it and has not accepted.

#3- the billboard idea is awesome. let's a prospective coach know the fans really want him. the billboard is electronic and can be changed daily as circumstances warrant..... AND money has been raised for a worthy cause that otherwise would not have been.

I know in your heart you want Cowher to coach here, but why would Adam Schefter go out of his way to say there is a better chance of him coaching than Cowher. Clayton who worked the Pittsburgh beat also was adament that Cowher was not considering Buffalo as an option. I know you can say they are both idiots but I doubt they are both wrong on this one.

The billboard would be better suited to be in Cowher's hometown if you wanted him to know how much he is wanted. My point is all the money should have went to the worthy cause not a portion.

I know in your heart you want Cowher to coach here, but why would Adam Schefter go out of his way to say there is a better chance of him coaching than Cowher. Clayton who worked the Pittsburgh beat also was adament that Cowher was not considering Buffalo as an option. I know you can say they are both idiots but I doubt they are both wrong on this one.

The billboard would be better suited to be in Cowher's hometown if you wanted him to know how much he is wanted. My point is all the money should have went to the worthy cause not a portion.

#1- actually Marty is my first choice.....but i would be thrilled with Cowher, he is my 2nd choice.

#2- the local guy Joe Logan from east Aurora has been right more than Adam Schefter & Clayton. Bill Cowher's phone probably rings 20 times a day from friends and media looking for info. they are all guessing. heck, Vegas has 3-1 odds of cowher coming to the bills.....schefters odds are 1,000,000 to 1. anyway you look at it, it is reasonable to say the odds are he won't come. But, until the words come out of his mouth, we have a chance.

#3- maybe you should start a fundraiser for Hunter's hope where ALL the money goes to this worthy cause, instead of poo pooing someone else who is actually doing something.

I definitly think that Baltimore and the jets are really kicking themselves for not taking the "proven HC' and going with unknown co-ordinators right now

Good point, but I think it comes down to who is picking the coach. Has our front office done anything to make you think that they can discover unknown talent?

As for me starting up a donation drive, I think the Kelly's do a wonderful job at solicating donations without my help.