Rooney Rule

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooney_Rule

In 2003, the NFL fined the Detroit Lions $200,000 for failure to interview minority candidates for the team's vacant head coaching job. After Marty Mornhinweg was fired, the Lions immediately hired former San Francisco 49ers head coach Steve Mariucci to replace him without interviewing any other candidates. The Lions claimed they attempted to interview other candidates but that the minority candidates withdrew from interviews, believing Mariucci's hiring was inevitable.[

So, the punishment was $200k at that time... But, that's been the only instance, so the punishment could be different now.

-Bill

I guess it would depend on each situation?

Exactly. If the Pats failed to comply, the penalty would be loss of their 2016 7th round draft pick. If the Bills had failed to comply, the penalty would have been seizure of all team assets by the League and relocation of the franchise to London.

Exactly. If the Pats failed to comply, the penalty would be loss of their 2016 7th round draft pick. If the Bills had failed to comply, the penalty would have been seizure of all team assets by the League and relocation of the franchise to London.

Dont be silly!

So sorry if this was posted some place. I promise I searched it.

My question is what is the punishment if a team does not comply with the Rooney Rule?

You're put on adminstrative leave with pay.....the leave must be spent at a country club of your choice or you could really incur a huge fine.

I think this rule almost is backfiring on the NFL. How may times has a minority coach been interviewed just to follow rules. As proven in previous threads with the Seahawks.

it is to complicated of a subject to dignify with a simple answer. suffice it to say that it has provided oppurtunities, advancement and experience to minority candidates who otherwise might not have been considered for head coaching and higher positions of leadership within the NFL. On the flip side it can be viewed as demeaning to minority candidates who feel they are not seriously being considered for the job and are only being interviewed/used to satisfy the rule.

minority candidates are free to decide for themselves in they want to go thru the process because they feel they have a legimate shot for the job or for the experience of the process itself to better prepare themselves for the next oppurtunity, or they can simply decline to be interviewed.

teams themselves depending on time constraints and/or preference can decide if they want to follow the rule or ignore it and accept the penalty in order to hire the candidate that they truly want.