Ask Tim Graham: Part III

TimGraham

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it's time to shut this down.

Tim,

On behalf of all of the Buffalo Bills fans that don't have schizoid paranoia and are fair and reasonable minded individuals, I'd ask you to reconsider. People with myopic viewpoints and egocentric beliefs that they are "entitled" to certain information are the minority here, not the majority. I think the majority of us realize that you have a demanding career with insight and information the general public is not privy to and we respect the demand on your time, not just professionally but personally. And that every minute you spend here on this message board, is a minute you could be spending somewhere else; on another PUBLISHED and PAYING story or column, with your family, fishing, BBQing with a beer, or whatever you do in your free time and that we appreciate whatever valuable information you're able to provide. It's the rare few that for whatever reason feel that they "deserve" some explanation. I don't want to over-step my boundaries here, but on behalf of many BILLS fans I want to thank you for your perspective and tell you that what information you can share is more than we'll get anywhere else.

I realize that in your profession you need to be thick-skinned regarding your opinion, but I apologize for the dopes on this board that challenge your reported facts. I absolutely love the Buffalo BILLS, but many of their decisions over the last few years have left me very frustrated, and I believe that much of that frustration has come to a swirling frenzy of shared delusions that have bonded many people together in cyberspace on this board....but no excuse, your integrity should not have been challenged...I humbly ask you to retain your interest and occasional input on this board and hope that you can continue to provide facts and opinions for the future: both are valued for different reasons, both have space on this board, and both should be shared regardless of the relegated few who only represent the fringe of Buffalo fans. No matter what, thanks for your time and efforts.

Matt in Utica

Sure, I can tell you my sources. Then they would never speak to me again. And all of the things they know they would keep to themselves. That means you'll get less information.

In reality, you have two options:

1) Believe me based on my track record.

2) Dismiss my story.

I more than believe your story because it makes perfect sense.

IMO, RW and Nix sounded out how much Frazier would want as head coach, then looked around for someone that would take 1/3 less money.

Waalaa we have the previously unemployed Gailey.

Marty AND Billick were both excluded before the process even began, because they might say yes and would warrent real HC paychecks.

Shanny and Cowher were red herrings, guys that RW/Nix knew would positively say no, but would placate fan anger.

This situation is outrageous in every way, and we must be subject to it.

RW could care less about wins, he cares about money and so far Russ has shown the ability to consistantly fill seats desptie a sub par product to say the least.

Maybe if I were in RWs ownership position I would feel the same. Sucks to be a fan of the team he owns though.

How did Nix the 70- year old high school coach and scout get to be GM? IMO, he accepted significantly less money than any other candidate that was remotely qualified.

How is Brandon CEO? He came from St. John Fisher and was promoted from within, and i am sure gets less money than comparative CEOs on other teams. Plus the guy really does know how to market and that is for RW, the crux of the matter.

RW should but does not realize he cannot take it with him.

On that note.... Go Sabres!!!

Tim,

On behalf of all of the Buffalo Bills fans that don't have schizoid paranoia and are fair and reasonable minded individuals, I'd ask you to reconsider. People with myopic viewpoints and egocentric beliefs that they are "entitled" to certain information are the minority here, not the majority. I think the majority of us realize that you have a demanding career with insight and information the general public is not privy to and we respect the demand on your time, not just professionally but personally. And that every minute you spend here on this message board, is a minute you could be spending somewhere else; on another PUBLISHED and PAYING story or column, with your family, fishing, BBQing with a beer, or whatever you do in your free time and that we appreciate whatever valuable information you're able to provide. It's the rare few that for whatever reason feel that they "deserve" some explanation. I don't want to over-step my boundaries here, but on behalf of many BILLS fans I want to thank you for your perspective and tell you that what information you can share is more than we'll get anywhere else.

I realize that in your profession you need to be thick-skinned regarding your opinion, but I apologize for the dopes on this board that challenge your reported facts. I absolutely love the Buffalo BILLS, but many of their decisions over the last few years have left me very frustrated, and I believe that much of that frustration has come to a swirling frenzy of shared delusions that have bonded many people together in cyberspace on this board....but no excuse, your integrity should not have been challenged...I humbly ask you to retain your interest and occasional input on this board and hope that you can continue to provide facts and opinions for the future: both are valued for different reasons, both have space on this board, and both should be shared regardless of the relegated few who only represent the fringe of Buffalo fans. No matter what, thanks for your time and efforts.

Matt in Utica

What he said. Thanks Tim.

Tim,

Matt in Utica

Tim,

I echo what Matt says. It's of great value to chat and ask question directly to knowledgeable sports writers. The banter is usually positive and I think it benefits your paid profession as well as it benefits us here.

What I don't understand is why you seem to take ridiculous posts seriously or sometimes become frustrated with people who disagree with your synopsis. Threatening "shut this down" because some moron is asking you to reveal your sources?

Don't get me wrong, it's nice that he posts, but do we need to kiss his ass? Let's not miss the upside for Tim that his posting here drives traffic to his blog/column/ESPN thingie which makes his boss happy too.

Asking for sources is stupid. If they gave up sources they would have no sources. You measure who you believe by how often they turn out right. Tim and others all told us who wasn't coming but it was someone else who told us who WAS coming in the end.

I'm sorry, but with all due respect I think you may overestimate this board's effect on Tim's career. It was successfully underway before these posts and I suspect it will continue to thrive without it. "Kissing" his ass was not the point, rather genuine appreciation for what is basically a charity event for him. Again, Tim Graham "owes" us NOTHING, what he does on this board is simply because he chooses to, and for that I am sincerely grateful. Don't confuses sincerity with flattery: on a message board they seem similar, but trust me, from this writer they are very different.

I think it is understandable that Bills fans are a little sensitive today in general, and specifically to stories like yours. They should not expect you to name your source, but you should also understand that:

We just hired a coach and our team has been constantly bashed for the decision. This may prove to be valid criticism, but the piling on has not helped the mood.

This comes on the heels of being mocked for having the audacity to hope we'd get a headliner. Mocked for months.

Not one national reporter came to defense of the Bills fan base at all. Not that I witnessed anyway.

ESPN shows, designed and scripted to be "point/counter-point" are "point/agreement-with-point" when it comes to the Bills.

Irrefuted reports perenially list the Bills as a potential candidate for moving due to "difficulty filling the stadium" and "lack of fan support". The Bills and the Jaguars are the only teams ever mentioned as move candidates. I don't see any tarp advertisements in the upper deck at the Ralph.

Didn't your report come out a few hours after the hiring? Can't we have a few hours to digest our new coach without another broadside? Was the info not available yesterday? Would the story not have waited until tomorrow? I know it is your job and your decision and I'm not really criticizing it, but try to see it through a Bills fans eyes and maybe you'll understand the sensitivity a little more.

Certainly you can understand that the constant drumbeat of negativity might wear peoples nerves. Our team has been well supported for 50 years and we sit by and watch New England glorified despite knowing that as soon as they have an 8-8 season, their stadium will be half full, despite the huge market.

Teams like Atlanta and Phoenix have had traditionally tepid fanbases despite their large markets. Buffalo, while being a small market team in a terrible economy, still has many fans that identify strongly with the Buffalo Bills. Many of these people have not lived in Buffalo for a long time. This loyalty is lost on most/all reporters. Would the NFL lose more overall fans if the Bills moved or if the Falcons moved? Ironically, I think you'd most easily find your answer if you attended a Sabres at Thrashers game. Our society is different now than it was in 1960. You don't have to live in Buffalo to love the Bills. There are many avenues for fandom. The NFL was built in part on the loyalty of fans. It is sad to see it dismissed as meaningless while the media pursues perceived large markets.

I am not saying Buffalo can never move or has a divine right to keep their team. I am saying that it would be pretty cool if someone tried to understand how the Bills really fit in the league instead of jumping on the "they should move" or "every move they make is wrong" or "who would ever want to coach in Buffalo" bandwagon. Tony Kornheiser's "Chan Gailey is a guy you hire when you're going out of business" was the most direct line I've seen. It is in keeping with the theme. So I guess we're a sensitive to "little things".

For those who have problems with what Tim has to say, DON'T COME TO THE ASK TIM GRAHAM forum! Don't ruin a good thing for those of us who enjoy what he has to say and further piss yourself off by discussing something you don't believe in.

In any case, Tim, can you give us a better idea around what type of meddling from Ralph was scaring people off. I think this is a really important thing to know as it seems to be getting worse

I'm sorry, but with all due respect I think you may overestimate this board's effect on Tim's career. It was successfully underway before these posts and I suspect it will continue to thrive without it. "Kissing" his ass was not the point, rather genuine appreciation for what is basically a charity event for him. Again, Tim Graham "owes" us NOTHING, what he does on this board is simply because he chooses to, and for that I am sincerely grateful. Don't confuses sincerity with flattery: on a message board they seem similar, but trust me, from this writer they are very different.

Yeah Bro but you had a letter written to him within 15 minutes, that's a little weird. JMO.

I think it is understandable that Bills fans are a little sensitive today in general, and specifically to stories like yours. They should not expect you to name your source, but you should also understand that:

We just hired a coach and our team has been constantly bashed for the decision. This may prove to be valid criticism, but the piling on has not helped the mood.

This comes on the heels of being mocked for having the audacity to hope we'd get a headliner. Mocked for months.

Not one national reporter came to defense of the Bills fan base at all. Not that I witnessed anyway.

ESPN shows, designed and scripted to be "point/counter-point" are "point/agreement-with-point" when it comes to the Bills.

Irrefuted reports perenially list the Bills as a potential candidate for moving do to "difficulty filling the stadium" and "lack of fan support". The Bills and the Jaguars are the only teams ever mentioned as move candidates. I don't see any tarp advertisements in the upper deck at the Ralph.

Didn't your report come out a few hours after the hiring? Can't we have a few hours to digest our new coach without another broadside? Was the info not available yesterday? Would the story not have waited until tomorrow? I know it is your job and your decision and I'm not really criticizing it, but try to see it through a Bills fans eyes and maybe you'll understand the sensitivity a little more.

Certainly you can understand that the constant drumbeat of negativity might wear peoples nerves. Our team has been well supported for 50 years and we sit by and watch New England glorified despite knowing that as soon as they have an 8-8 season, their stadium will be half full, despite the huge market.

Teams like Atlanta and Phoenix have had traditionally tepid fanbases despite their large markets. Buffalo, while being a small market team in a terrible economy, still has many fans that identify strongly with the Buffalo Bills. Many of these people have not lived in Buffalo for a long time. This loyalty is lost on most/all reporters. Would the NFL lose more overall fans if the Bills moved or if the Falcons moved? Ironically, I think you'd most easily find your answer if you attended a Sabres at Thrashers game. Our society is different now than it was in 1960. You don't have to live in Buffalo to love the Bills. There are many avenues for fandom. The NFL was built in part on the loyalty of fans. It is sad to see it dismissed as meaningless while the media pursues perceived large markets.

I am not saying Buffalo can never move or has a divine right to keep their team. I am saying that it would be pretty cool if someone tried to understand how the Bills really fit in the league instead of jumping on the "they should move" or "every move they make is wrong" or "who would ever want to coach in Buffalo" bandwagon. Tony Kornheiser's "Chan Gailey is a guy you hire when you're going out of business" was the most direct line I've seen. It is in keeping with the theme. So I guess we're a sensitive to "little things".

I'm going to do my best not to puke when I say this, but Teddy Bruschi actually came to our defense saying that the Bills have some of the most passionate fans in the league and we deserve better.

Oh god, I said something nice about Bruschi.....oh god :w00t:

I really cant blame you for feeling this way. another poster beat me to it by saying that you are appreciated here. but like the saying goes you dont know what you've got till its gone. i thought that it was awesome that you gave the chance for us bills fans to submit questions for the press confrence, and i was truly upset when i saw all of the BS that followed. there arent a whole lot of opportunities like that that present themselves, but i know that myself, and many other loyal bills fans come on here everyday for information, and you really are a diamond in the rough on this board. thank you for all the time that you do spend on here, and i do hope that this isnt the last post that we see from you. </kissass>

I have a suggestion for Lori, please delete these idot's posts before Tim sees them. No offense to any one, but Tim's contributions to this board are great and greatly appreciated. The idiots have an entire board to spew in. Tim gets one thread. I appreciate it. I enjoy it. I don't think I speak for myself. It would be a shame to lose his insight and commentary.

Your call, of course. Always has been, as you know, and I'll support whatever decision you make.

First, though, let me post a reminder of the ground rules set in the original thread (emphasis mine):

I'll talk about all sorts of topics here that I might not be prepared to write about, but because my byline is the symbol of whatever credibility and integrity I've built up in this profession, there will be some questions I won't be able to answer. In the Internet Age, anything I post here could be construed as a published story.

So the general rule of thumb I'll try to follow is this standard: If you were to run into me at a bar -- the chances are pretty high of that -- and we were to strike up casual conversation, anything I would feel comfortable telling you in that setting, I will tell you here.

And my own thoughts: asking ANY reporter to "out" ANY source in regards to ANY story will, and should, be a non-starter.

Tim,

Matt in Utica

^^^^^^^this. Thanks Tim for this thread and your contributions to the board. They are appreciated by most.

Well said Matt. Please post more.

I have a suggestion for Lori, please delete these idot's posts before Tim sees them. No offense to any one, but Tim's contributions to this board are great and greatly appreciated. The idiots have an entire board to spew in. Tim gets one thread. I appreciate it. I enjoy it. I don't think I speak for myself. It would be a shame to lose his insight and commentary.

Last I knew, Lori has a job too. It really should be all of our job to marginalize the idiots. But at times like yesterday, it's hard not to feel overrun with them. Clearly the downside of an open forum.

Sure, I can tell you my sources. Then they would never speak to me again. And all of the things they know they would keep to themselves. That means you'll get less information.

In reality, you have two options:

1) Believe me based on my track record.

2) Dismiss my story.

Between you and me, it was Chuck Lester wasn't it? YOU CAN'T FIRE CHUCK LESTER AND EXPECT TO GET AWAY WITH IT!!!

Love the blog, I'm there a couple times a day keeping up with news on the east. Keep up the good work, it is appriciated by many...