The Beer thread.

For a beer thread, this is a pretty bad one. :w00t: Everyone who said a lager, should be eliminated. Bottom fermentation = win.

As KRC already pointed out lagers are bottom fermented, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss lagers, at least the classic european lagers. A nice clean lager is very difficult to brew consistently well versus many ale beer styles. There is nowhere to hide any imperfections as you can in a big IPA, porter or stout. While I agree with most that macro lagers are largely swill, I do have to give them credit for engineering their breweries on such a large scale and still brewing a very consistent, albeit crappy product.

From looking at this thread, it seems like you guys really don't get teh chance to experience many of the fantasitc west coast beers. I hate to say it, but the west coast is where its at for microbrewing. We have a few decent ones in Texas, but outside of Abita, Allagash, and Dogfish Head, pretty much all of the great beers come from the west coast.

Green Flash and Alesmith are two of my favorite breweries.

I'll agree that west coast beers largely drove the microbrewing revolution and I love beers from Green Flash, Bear Republic, Russian River etc., but there are so many great midwest and east coast breweries now. Bells, Founders, Victory, Avery, Great Divide and New Glarus off the top of my head.

And to stay on topic, my favorite beer is a west coast beer. The ultimate double IPA, Pliny The Elder for Russian River Brewing.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As KRC already pointed out lagers are bottom fermented, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss lagers, at least the classic european lagers. A nice clean lager is very difficult to brew consistently well versus many ale beer styles. There is nowhere to hide any imperfections as you can in a big IPA, porter or stout. While I agree with most that macro lagers are largely swill, I do have to give them credit for engineering their breweries on such a large scale and still brewing a very consistent, albeit crappy product.

I absolutely agree. The consistency that Budweiser, Miller, Labatt, etc achieve are amazing. And there are definitely some good examples of that style of beer. The problem with lagers, though, is you can't generally do too much with them. You've got a few specific styles, and that's about it. There are some cool things being done with dunkle lagers, but outside of those, they're kinda boring.

All the interesting brewing where brewers are experimenting is generally done from ales (wheat beers, IPAs, brown ales, stouts, porters, etc).

I'll agree that west coast beers largely drove the microbrewing revolution and I love beers from Green Flash, Bear Republic, Russian River etc., but there are so many great midwest and east coast breweries now. Bells, Founders, Victory, Avery, Great Divide and New Glarus off the top of my head.

And to stay on topic, my favorite beer is a west coast beer. The ultimate double IPA, Pliny The Elder for Russian River Brewing.

I would have thrown breweries from Colorado into the west coast, but they are more mid-west, aren't they? I love some Avery, Great Divide, and Breckenridge. Colorado has some awesome breweries.

Yeah, there are definitely some good east coast breweries. Throw Abita, Harpoon, and Allagash into that list as well, and of course Dogfish Head, who makes some of the most interesting beers I've ever had (and are, by far, my favorite brewery). I do think, though, that some of the local California brews that I've had beat the East Coast ones. I just wish I could get breweries like AleSmith here in Texas!

I absolutely agree. The consistency that Budweiser, Miller, Labatt, etc achieve are amazing. And there are definitely some good examples of that style of beer. The problem with lagers, though, is you can't generally do too much with them. You've got a few specific styles, and that's about it. There are some cool things being done with dunkle lagers, but outside of those, they're kinda boring.

All the interesting brewing where brewers are experimenting is generally done from ales (wheat beers, IPAs, brown ales, stouts, porters, etc).

I would have thrown breweries from Colorado into the west coast, but they are more mid-west, aren't they? I love some Avery, Great Divide, and Breckenridge. Colorado has some awesome breweries.

Yeah, there are definitely some good east coast breweries. Throw Abita, Harpoon, and Allagash into that list as well, and of course Dogfish Head, who makes some of the most interesting beers I've ever had (and are, by far, my favorite brewery). I do think, though, that some of the local California brews that I've had beat the East Coast ones. I just wish I could get breweries like AleSmith here in Texas!

All good calls I've enjoyed products out of all of those breweries.

From Avery - Karma Ale

Breckenridge - Avalanche

Abita - Amber Ale

Harpoon - Octoberfest

Dogfish Head - 60 minute IPA

Not saying that the other breweries listed aren't good, just haven't experienced their products.....YET. :thumbsup: