Treadmill repair question

MarkyMannn

My treadmill is a Proform 520X, like 6-8 years old, a lower end model.

So over the last month or so, the belt would occasionally slip. Within the last week it quit completely. I mean it will run with no one on it, but forget it when I go on it. Trying to figure its problem. The drive roller is always spinning, but not driving the walking belt, so I ruled out motor & drive issues. Still got adjustment left on the belt too. If I over-tighten the belt, it will start to spin, but still not good. The deck surface is like a mylar film, that you are supposedly not to lube. But I'm thinking of giving that a try with lube lightly at least as it doesn't seem slippery. I think friction of the belt to the deck is keeping it from going, and that the belt is still OK. So that is the cheapest fix too, like $15. Start there, if that isn't it, go with the belt next, about $100. What is any one else's thoughts and experiences?

So over the last month or so, the belt would occasionally slip. Within the last week it quit completely. I mean it will run with no one on it, but forget it when I go on it. Trying to figure its problem. The drive roller is always spinning, but not driving the walking belt, so I ruled out motor & drive issues. Still got adjustment left on the belt too. If I over-tighten the belt, it will start to spin, but still not good. The deck surface is like a mylar film, that you are supposedly not to lube. But I'm thinking of giving that a try with lube lightly at least as it doesn't seem slippery. I think friction of the belt to the deck is keeping it from going, and that the belt is still OK. So that is the cheapest fix too, like $15. Start there, if that isn't it, go with the belt next, about $100. What is any one else's thoughts and experiences?

I'm not sure about fixing it but your first problem was using it as anything other than a $800 clothes hanger.

Sounds like a good initial plan.

Speaking of treadmills, anyone have any experience with them? I'm looking to get one for my surgery center's "wellness center." I figure only 4-5 people will use it, maybe a couple times per week each. Thanks.

??? - it works in the auto arena...belt dressing:

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotiv...nditioner_b.htm

I owned a Proform...biggest waste of money ever......but anyways.

Belt is probably slipping. If it's anything like mine was, the motor is held in by a bolt on an adjustable rail. Loosen the motor, get someone to leverage the motor as far back on the rail as it will go and tighten the bolt.

And yes, you need lube too. Proform says they're maintenance free and don't need lube but they're full of.....they even sell the lube on their website.

Belt is probably slipping. If it's anything like mine was, the motor is held in by a bolt on an adjustable rail. Loosen the motor, get someone to leverage the motor as far back on the rail as it will go and tighten the bolt.

And yes, you need lube too. Proform says they're maintenance free and don't need lube but they're full of.....they even sell the lube on their website.

I ahd the same experience, remove the cover and adjust the motor to increase the tightness on the belt.

Yeah tonight I tightened the drive belt although it seemed OK, lubed the bed a couple times and tightened the walking belt more. Seems OK now.

Bought the lube at G&G Fitness. All their TM's ranged from $2500 to $5000. That's ridiculous but they do seem to be like commercial grade. Still, for $5000 I could join a gym for 15 years and have access to everything there

Yeah tonight I tightened the drive belt although it seemed OK, lubed the bed a couple times and tightened the walking belt more. Seems OK now.

Bought the lube at G&G Fitness. All their TM's ranged from $2500 to $5000. That's ridiculous but they do seem to be like commercial grade. Still, for $5000 I could join a gym for 15 years and have access to everything there

If I had it, I would spend that much on a quality one. My biggest problem with the gym is getting the motivation to go. It's a 30 minute round trip drive, plus an hour there. Doesn't leave much time for family. When it's in my basement I can hop on for 30 minutes and not feel like I miss anything.

The problem I had with the Proform was the walking platform would crack once a year and I'd have to spend $90 to replace it. After paying twice and getting them to send me one free (only after I contacted their public relations manager directly and threatened consumerist.com on them) I gave up trashed it. And both the wife and I are normal BMI, so it's not our weight that did it.

Okay, after much research, I went with this one: TaDa!

It's only $999.99. I've been trying to think of a reason NOT to get it, since people have been telling me that I need to spend at least $2000 on one. But it's got a 3.25 CHP (the description says 3.5, but 3.0 and over is pretty powerful) that is warrantied for life. It's got a frame that's warrantied for life. It has a 60" treadbelt with 2.5" rollers. It can go up to 12 MPH and can incline. It's got a TV. And it can support up to 350#. Along with the programs and other bells and whistles.