Russ Grimm

Poeticlaw

I have seen a quite a few threads with this guys name in the mix as a desire for the next hc and my question is why?

Hes and OL coach with no Cordinator experience which in my mind equates to no game planning experience. I thought the idea here was to try and get a HC that is either very goot at gameplanning or has experience as HC and a strong list of Cordinators.

Russ Grimm in my opinion would only be a choice if everyone turned us down.

I have seen a quite a few threads with this guys name in the mix as a desire for the next hc and my question is why?

Hes and OL coach with no Cordinator experience which in my mind equates to no game planning experience. I thought the idea here was to try and get a HC that is either very goot at gameplanning or has experience as HC and a strong list of Cordinators.

First, He is a guy that would actually agree to come to Buffalo to coach. Second, we have not had success with good coordinators as HC in the past (Greggo, Malarkey); why not give some position coaches a try? Finally, he is the anti-DJ.

I think therein lies the fascination.

Grimm won three rings with the Skins as a player in the trenches, a member of the famous "Hogs" OL. He won one ring as an assistant in Pittsburg. He went to Arizona and helped to rebuild their OL, even making Mike Gandy look good. The guy is a winner that gets the most out of his OL personel. He would be an excellent fit here to mold the young OL talent that we have. We would be a top 5 rushing offense with our guys under his tutiledge. We would also be better in the passing game because he would have our guys on point. He just missed out on the Steelers job a couple years back when they picked Tomlin instead. He would need a good staff around him of course, as would any other HC we hire. But with the right guys around him, I believe he would be an excellent hire in the long run.

Too many on this board look at coaching candidates based on singular areas of success. IMHO we need to be looking for managerial head coaches, someone who can put the right people in the right places. We haven't seen that in the last ten years.

Grimm may be ready for a coordinators role, but not HC as I see it.

Too many on this board look at coaching candidates based on singular areas of success. IMHO we need to be looking for managerial head coaches, someone who can put the right people in the right places. We haven't seen that in the last ten years.

They WILL NOT hire Grimm as head coach....NO WAY

See but here's the thing. Grimm isn't JUST the OL coach. He's also designated as Assistant Head Coach which means the only job he can take while under contract, without specific permission from the Cardinals, is a HC job. Anything else would be a lateral move and that isn't kosher. The Bills have the same set-up with Bobby April.

That, as much as anything, is a big reason why Russ hasn't been a coordinator and isn't up for coordinator discussion now. He can't.

FWIW, Tony Sparano wasn't a coordinator either. He was a D-II HC and had several NFL job such as TE coach and OL Coach. He held basically the same title with the Cowboys as Grimm does with the Cardinals. OL Coach/Asst. HC.

I don't hold that against Grimm at all for an HC position. HC has to be a delegator and coordinator of coaches. He is the vision guy and the staff has to be the worker bees.

See but here's the thing. Grimm isn't JUST the OL coach. He's also designated as Assistant Head Coach which means the only job he can take while under contract, without specific permission from the Cardinals, is a HC job. Anything else would be a lateral move and that isn't kosher. The Bills have the same set-up with Bobby April.

That, as much as anything, is a big reason why Russ hasn't been a coordinator and isn't up for coordinator discussion now. He can't.

FWIW, Tony Sparano wasn't a coordinator either. He was a D-II HC and had several NFL job such as TE coach and OL Coach. He held basically the same title with the Cowboys as Grimm does with the Cardinals. OL Coach/Asst. HC.

I don't hold that against Grimm at all for an HC position. HC has to be a delegator and coordinator of coaches. He is the vision guy and the staff has to be the worker bees.

Tony Sparano held a HC position at New Haven and worked as an Assistant Head Coach to Bill Parcells in Dallas who Just happens to be the same person who hired him in Dallas. Parcells had first hand information otherwise he would still be an assistant.

If Grimm was good enough Pitt would have hired him and he did not.

Grim in my opinion is not the best fit for us. I cannot see why anyone would want him after failures of the head coaching position Hot cordinator GW hot Cordinator MM and mediocre DJ we need someone who knows the game of football not just the OL we need a Cower if Not I think Billick is our best option if he would take it at least he knew how to win without a QB worth anything.

Tony Sparano held a HC position at New Haven and worked as an Assistant Head Coach to Bill Parcells in Dallas who Just happens to be the same person who hired him in Dallas. Parcells had first hand information otherwise he would still be an assistant.

If Grimm was good enough Pitt would have hired him and he did not.

Grim in my opinion is not the best fit for us. I cannot see why anyone would want him after failures of the head coaching position Hot cordinator GW hot Cordinator MM and mediocre DJ we need someone who knows the game of football not just the OL we need a Cower if Not I think Billick is our best option if he would take it at least he knew how to win without a QB worth anything.

I did point out that Sparano had been a D-II Head Coach previously. I was just pointing out a reason why Grimm isn't and hasn't been a coordinator.

FWIW, Pittsburgh didn't hire Ken Whisenhunt either and he's working out pretty well in AZ. They decided to go totally outside the organization and start fresh like they did when they hired Cowher to follow Noll. Noll had strongly recommended Tony Dungy who had served for Noll (as DB coach and DC) for several years but they went outside the organization for Cowher.

I did point out that Sparano had been a D-II Head Coach previously. I was just pointing out a reason why Grimm isn't and hasn't been a coordinator.

FWIW, Pittsburgh didn't hire Ken Whisenhunt either and he's working out pretty well in AZ. They decided to go totally outside the organization and start fresh like they did when they hired Cowher to follow Noll. Noll had strongly recommended Tony Dungy who had served for Noll (as DB coach and DC) for several years but they went outside the organization for Cowher.

They have great luck, the Steelers, seems they are really blessed. They turned down the excellent coach Dungy and in the end it was NOT a mistake.

Why are the Bills so eternally between a rock and a hard place?

They have great luck, the Steelers, seems they are really blessed. They turned down the excellent coach Dungy and in the end it was NOT a mistake.

Why are the Bills so eternally between a rock and a hard place?

Well, because the Steelers are owned by the Rooneys who know what they are doing and the Bills are owned by RW who thought it might be fun to own a football team. After this much time there is nobody left to blame.

For the record: I'm not fascinated with Russ Grimm as a head coach candidate.

It's His Fan Club that's so appealing.