Brian Billick to interview for head coaching job

d_wag

Report: Billick to interview with Bills

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 2, 2010 4:54 PM ET

Fans that don't like listening to Brian Billick announce games could get some relief next year.

Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reports that Billick is expected to interview next week for the Buffalo Bills' head coaching job. Billick didn't exactly deny the claim when asked:

"I have not had any contact with the Bills so far," Billick said. (But maybe his agent has.)

Buffalo is expected to enter phase two of their head coaching search next week after the first group of big name coaches turned them down.

Judging purely on record, Billick has a resume that merits more coaching buzz than he's received since getting fired by the Ravens. In nine years with Baltimore, Billick went 80-64, with four playoff appearances and a Super Bowl title.

His failure to develop a quarterback on the Ravens could be a big negative to a Bills team desperate for help at the position.

Florio passed along the news that the Bills are also expected to speak with Chargers defensive coordinator Ron Rivera.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...iew-with-bills/

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not my first choice, but he'd be good enough. At least he's a winner and could bring some legitimacy to the franchise, which should help with assistant coaches and free agents. I do worry about the fact that he couldn't build an offense in Baltimore, but I trust him more in that regard than another pick from the defensive coordinator ranks.

One thing is for certain: if they hire Billick, you don't have to worry about discussing Tim Tebow anymore.

he seems like a great leader, and he plays towards his teams strengths , he doesnt force things. billick would be a very good hire.

we could also hire billick asap

Please explain.

So, no Cowher announcement Tuesday?

I like it

He seems like a leader

I think this is one reason why I'd be ok with him. He's passionate and seems to make his players accountable. He ran a great offense in Minnesota and had success as a head coach.

I just don't know why he didn't have a decent offense in Baltimore when that's his background. Was his 1998 year in Minnesota just lucky? Doubtful, but one would think he'd get it right being in one place for so many years.

Please explain.

So, no Cowher announcement Tuesday?

I was driving home right before 5 and Pat Kirwan on Sirius said Cowher was going to be on & they would talk to him about coming back. I just turned it on, not sure if they already talked to him.

Id say good enough! he won a super bowl with an average QB. he made his reputation as an offensive asst. with the Vikes, yet as a head coach with the ravens he had a defense-oriented team. That shows the ability to coach to the talent, not force the talent to fit a pre-convieved scheme.

Id say good enough! he won a super bowl with an average QB. he made his reputation as an offensive asst. with the Vikes, yet as a head coach with the ravens he had a defense-oriented team. That shows the ability to coach to the talent, not force the talent to fit a pre-convieved scheme.

His D was great because Marvin Lewis was his DC.

I just don't know why he didn't have a decent offense in Baltimore when that's his background. Was his 1998 year in Minnesota just lucky? Doubtful, but one would think he'd get it right being in one place for so many years.

It may be that he was just unlucky in Baltimore, especially at QB, where he had a solid veteran in Elvis Grbac who retired early for no apparent reason, then they made a really bad pick with Kyle Boller. Then again, perhaps the success of Minnesota's offense during the 90s was more attributable to Dennis Green than Brian Billick? I don't know.

Maybe this is how it's going down....

Billick HC

Rivera DC

Weiss OC

For Real...I could live with that. Get a good QB coach, OL coach, LB coach to help Maybin with the move to OLB, keep the secondary coach.

Yea maybe this could happen, got my fingers crossed. :devil:

Dellapelle, do you seriously just post to post? According to you, shouldn't we be signing Bill Cowher on Tuesday? I have seen you advocate for a first round QB, a first round O-line, and a first round D-line in various threads. Please, pick something and be somewhat consistent about it. I understand people change their minds, but not every day in every thread...