Did Mike Leach really find it necessary

bills44

Dude, have you ever played a sport past 9th grade? I had a strength coach make a list of all of the Olineman over 30% body fat and post in the weight room in front of all of the cardio machines for everyone to see! A closet is freakin child's play.

Did they have to exercise in the dark, alone, with a concussion? There is a difference between being a hard ass and a moron.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that many people have seen this report about the "shed" and "electrical closet" that James was subjected to. Here's a link to an interview with Leach's attorney.

A tour of the "shed"

The initial reports made it sound like he locked the kid in a small closet.

If you listen to Leech's attorney, he was actually doing James a favor by helping to keep him in a cool, dark place with a trainer standing outside on stand by in case he needed some ice water or cocktails or something. Yeah, right... and OJ was not in good enough shape to commit the crime...

If you take a player person and lock him alone in a windowless room, where he has to stand for several hours because you don't like his attitude, then that's inappropriate. When you basically tell your employer to f*** off when they come to you and say they want to investigate allegations of impropriety, and then try to get a restraining order against them after they suspend you for the investigation, they you get fired... as you should.

If Leech were a true disciplinarian, they he should've respected the authority of the school athletic director in their interactions with him.

and how did that work? did you guys all lose 40lb and win the state title that year? yes i did play 3 sports past 9th grade.. and i've been coaching for 23 years now...13 years at the college level... and i got news for you....the 70s are over...

there is a big difference between having a "right" to do somethineg like that to a kid and having it be the right thing to do. it's just stupid and disrespectful.

if you think a kid is faking an injury you play his back up...everyone will get the message. trying to out-!@#$ a 20 year old kid just shows bad judgment.

He didn't think he was faking an injury first of all. He was sick of the kid acting like a prima donna and when he saw him wearing sunglasses while he was sitting out of practice, Leach lost his mind. If you've been coaching for 23 years and have never had a moment like that then i'm guessing that you are coaching children. And I promise you that i'm not saying that to offend you.

Is making a player run stadium steps in every section of the stadium because you were 5 minutes late for conditioning bad? Is punishing the whole team for one or two players activities on a thursday night at a frat party wrong? Have you ever been through a winter conditioning program? Is setting the weight room air conditioning to 85 during the summer because "there is no air conditioning on the feild" okay? I'm sure there are a few on here that have stories far worse.

What Leach did was hardly wrong. However, when he got on national TV and bashed AJ, that was ridiculous.

If you listen to Leech's attorney, he was actually doing James a favor by helping to keep him in a cool, dark place with a trainer standing outside on stand by in case he needed some ice water or cocktails or something. Yeah, right... and OJ was not in good enough shape to commit the crime...

If you take a player person and lock him alone in a windowless room, where he has to stand for several hours because you don't like his attitude, then that's inappropriate. When you basically tell your employer to f*** off when they come to you and say they want to investigate allegations of impropriety, and then try to get a restraining order against them after they suspend you for the investigation, they you get fired... as you should.

If Leech were a true disciplinarian, they he should've respected the authority of the school athletic director in their interactions with him.

And Bill Polian shouldn't have kicked Linda Bogdan out of the warroom.

Next.

He didn't think he was faking an injury first of all. He was sick of the kid acting like a prima donna and when he saw him wearing sunglasses while he was sitting out of practice, Leach lost his mind. If you've been coaching for 23 years and have never had a moment like that then i'm guessing that you are coaching children. And I promise you that i'm not saying that to offend you.

Is making a player run stadium steps in every section of the stadium because you were 5 minutes late for conditioning bad? Is punishing the whole team for one or two players activities on a thursday night at a frat party wrong? Have you ever been through a winter conditioning program? Is setting the weight room air conditioning to 85 during the summer because "there is no air conditioning on the feild" okay? I'm sure there are a few on here that have stories far worse.

What Leach did was hardly wrong. However, when he got on national TV and bashed AJ, that was ridiculous.

i told you i coach college kids. and i've had a-holes like that...i got my own stories and i'm not getting into a pissing contest with you about that. you make them irrelevant by replacing them and being the adult. it's not that hard. if you're the unquestioned leader of your program, you don't let a punk like that get power over you by pushing your buttons. let him sit there like a tool with his sunglasses while you win with his backup.

There are limits, but being able to take a little harsh treatment earns respect and can break bad attitudes and habits and make you a better person. What Leech did was pretty tame and not even creatively demeaning. Tame.

i told you i coach college kids. and i've had a-holes like that...i got my own stories and i'm not getting into a pissing contest with you about that. you make them irrelevant by replacing them and being the adult. it's not that hard. if you're the unquestioned leader of your program, you don't let a punk like that get power over you by pushing your buttons. let him sit there like a tool with his sunglasses while you win with his backup.

:(

With all due respect, your method is reminiscent of what Dick Jauron did here with actual 20-30 something adults who were getting paid. Player development is more than just lining them up and saying "who wants to play?". There is a balance between letting young men be accountable for themselves and trying to make them better when apathy has the best of them. And yes, discipline can help.

of course discipline can help...who said there shouldn't be discipline? you have to be a little more intelligent than mike leach in how you enforce it.

i can't believe this is even an argument. on what planet is getting into a pissing match with a 20 year old good coaching?

I hated my S&C coach. He was the biggest SOB in the world. When he got to our program, he ripped all of our record plaques off the wall and worked us until we litterally passed out. He called evreyone out in a very public way (like posting body fat %). We hated him. 6 months later all of those records that had been posted for years would have been broken anyway because he taught us what hard work was. Look at milatary tactics, break you down to build you up. The only saying that he left on the wall was, "Champions are made when no one is looking." Kids will get away with whatever they CAN get away with. The lessons he taught me at 20 years old were invaluable despite being very harsh. I still hate Buddy to this day but he made me a better person.

:(

Would you be thumbsup if the Bills took Jester's attitude about player development and weren't pushing a young first rounder like Aaron Maybin harder and instead were content with playing Ryan Denney because he's lower maintenance? We want players developed and the best brought out of them, not too just line up the most willing warm body. I think people are taking this James situation as if it were taking place in the classroom. Football is a tough and sometimes unfair game.

I saw that. Sh*t like that will cost him a job at major university. There is no AD or President who wants to deal with an idiot like that. He's going to have to start all over again at a very low level D1 school (he'll probably be successful). He needs to be put in a shed because his attitude is worse than James or any other cocky player. Mike Leach, Rice is on the phone....OOPS!!!!

whats with the gay face paint?

i feel bad for you if you had to hate your coach to be good at your sport. it doesn't have to be that way. i'm not talking about holding hands and singing songs at practice. i'm talking about motivating people with the strength of your character....you know...all that **** that marv was supposed to be so good at. and i know marv had his flaws, but that was something he did really well.

there is such a thing as college kids who avoid doing "whatever they CAN get away with" because they want to be good...and the results will speak for their work ethic anyway. you don't have to treat kids like crap and humiliate them to get them to do what you want.

of course discipline can help...who said there shouldn't be discipline? you have to be a little more intelligent than mike leach in how you enforce it.

i can't believe this is even an argument. on what planet is getting into a pissing match with a 20 year old good coaching?

This kind of discipline happens every day and goes a long way toward making young men into being better adults. You don't do it. That's fine. Does not mean it's wrong. You are just assuming that what you do is right because you think you are at the point where you know better.

Yes one would. One would also notice the coincidence the "accused" making sure this point of view is made public. Is it a possible attempt to deflect the focus off him and to enhance his "victim-hood"?

You call it victimhood, I call it setting up the groundwork for the legal case.

So far, Craig James comes out to be a much bigger whiner, because he's been all over the airwaves this weekend (enough to preempt ESPN from covering the Buddy Nix promotion) claiming that his only concern was about his son's safety. Yet nothing that's come out indicates that Adam was remotely close to being harmed.

Did Leach embarrass the kid? Absolutely? Did he perhaps go too far in making an example out of him? Yes. Was this a fireable offense for cause based on the news that's coming out? Doubtful.

Does James sound like a spoiled little league dad? Probable.

This maybe true, but it still does not justify ripping the student, the parent of the student, and the university in public.

Even if he is vindicated, and signs with a new school, he will have one hell of a time trying to recruit players.

As Lori mentioned, there's an owner out there who doesn't mind if his coach almost kills another assistant as long as he delivers a W. The more news that comes out, the worse that James gang looks. Sure, Leach looks petty, but if he was in the right, then memories will be short.

to rip both Adam James and Craig James on ESPN?

Guy comes off like a total POS.

I didn't think it came out that way at all, actually I saw it as leach finally getting to put his side of the story out there. Hopefully, both sides will settle and leach can get back to coaching. More than anything I think the administration was looking for a reason to not pay him the money he earned, and this gave them the ability to fire him and save thier cash, talk about cheap, with any luck this program will go back to the basement of the big 12 where they came from. This is nothing more than a smear campaign against a coach that forced them to agree to a contract they never intended to let him fulfill. Shame on Texas Tech, and if craig james was as bad as Leach said, then He's a complete jerk, what a pain in the rear it must've been to deal with him.