The Chargers did NOT draft Rivers

Coach Tuesday

They drafted Eli Manning, and he promptly made it known that he wouldn't play for them, so they elected to trade with the Giants for their *second* choice.

I'm not trying to make too much of a big deal about this, but it's an interesting thing to keep in mind. Manning is an average QB who likely will never get over his accuracy issues and (Superbowl aside) seems to melt in big games. Rivers has become an elite QB. Manning played in the SEC, also FWIW...

I only bring this up because Nix is being given credit by many here for the Chargers' resurgence. No doubt he played an important role in that, but the Rivers "pick" helped fuel the turnaround - and it should never have even happened if the Chargers' personnel department had had its way. And with Nix now overseeing the most important offseason in a LONG time at OBD, with a QB as the biggest need, it's worth keeping in mind.

"Super Bowl aside"

I'd say that's a pretty big aside...As of right now, the biggest difference between Eli Manning and Philip Rivers is that one is a Super Bowl Champion and the other isn't. Now that very well may change soon, but I'm just saying....

They drafted Eli Manning, and he promptly made it known that he wouldn't play for them, so they elected to trade with the Giants for their *second* choice.

I'm not trying to make too much of a big deal about this, but it's an interesting thing to keep in mind. Manning is an average QB who likely will never get over his accuracy issues and (Superbowl aside) seems to melt in big games. Rivers has become an elite QB. Manning played in the SEC, also FWIW...

I only bring this up because Nix is being given credit by many here for the Chargers' resurgence. No doubt he played an important role in that, but the Rivers "pick" helped fuel the turnaround - and it should never have even happened if the Chargers' personnel department had had its way. And with Nix now overseeing the most important offseason in a LONG time at OBD, with a QB as the biggest need, it's worth keeping in mind.

Ya, because they would of been worse off with Brees, the QB he did draft. :flirt:

The Chargers did the smart move and took him. They ended up with Rivers and other picks that led to this:

"Eli Manning was traded for the rights to sign Philip Rivers (who the Giants had just drafted) and 3 draft picks that the Chargers used on Shawne Merriman, Nate Kaeding, and Roman Oben. Rivers, Merriman, and Kaeding all reached the Pro Bowl."

What is wrong with that? Looks like our new Country boy pulled one over on the city boys..

The Chargers organization deserves credit for taking the talent, Manning, regardless of the scare tactics leveled against them. They then shrewdly translated that talent, via trade, into a number of excellent players. Laying the Chargers turnaround completely at the feet of Rivers is revisionism. Norv Turner has changed the offensive philosophy of the team to rely first and foremost on the passing game only recently.

They wanted the Giants to trade for Manning and it worked brilliantly. They almost took Rivers #1,

The Chargers and Giants were working on a trade of picks before the draft even started, but couldn't hammer out the proper compensation coming to the Chargers. The Giants coveted Manning and the Chargers wanted Rivers the whole time. When time was running out at their pick in the first round the Giants told the Chargers to draft Manning while they finished the deal, which ended up being heavily in San Diego's favor (I believe they drafted Merriman with the pick they got from the Giants the following year).

Getting Rivers was not luck. They targeted him the whole time and everybody knew it. They just knew he was not worth the number one pick in the draft and were able to maximize that pick's value. That alone makes Nix smarter than anyone the Bill's have had since Butler.

The Chargers and Giants were working on a trade of picks before the draft even started, but couldn't hammer out the proper compensation coming to the Chargers. The Giants coveted Manning and the Chargers wanted Rivers the whole time. When time was running out at their pick in the first round the Giants told the Chargers to draft Manning while they finished the deal, which ended up being heavily in San Diego's favor (I believe they drafted Merriman with the pick they got from the Giants the following year).

Getting Rivers was not luck. They targeted him the whole time and everybody knew it. They just knew he was not worth the number one pick in the draft and were able to maximize that pick's value. That alone makes Nix smarter than anyone the Bill's have had since Butler.

We dont know how much input Nix gave, but he was part of the whole process.

Eli won a super bowl, something we've never done. He also consistantly gets into the playoffs, again, something we don't do. So don't trash him.

The is the funniest part of Coach's post. Calling out Buddy for his part drafting a ProBowl QB who has a SuperBowl ring and trading him for Phillip Rivers...:flirt:

All you guys set the record straight. Thank you.

San Diego drafted Manning knowing he was coveted by the Giants and also knowing that Manning had no desire to play for the Chargers.

In fact, when the Chargers selected Manning, they never even bothered calling him.

Probably they were too busy on the phone with the Giants, working out the parameters of the trade, which would include the Giants drafting Phillip Rivers (who the Chargers really wanted) and sending additional draft picks to the Chargers.

As General Manager, you have to give credit to A.J. Smith for orchestrating this trade.

Though Manning has won a Super Bowl, I doubt there is a single GM in all of the NFL who would rather have Eli Manning than Phillip Rivers.

Again, good job fellas, for setting the record straight.

They wanted the Giants to trade for Manning and it worked brilliantly. They almost took Rivers #1,

They took manning so they could trade him to the giants...don't let that get in the way of a good rant though.

Manning was probably the QB all the 'experts' agreed should be number 1. SD knew this but wanted Rivers. One hell of a move, especialy now in hindsight because Rivers is miles better than Manning. Its not even close!

The Chargers did the smart move and took him. They ended up with Rivers and other picks that led to this:

"Eli Manning was traded for the rights to sign Philip Rivers (who the Giants had just drafted) and 3 draft picks that the Chargers used on Shawne Merriman, Nate Kaeding, and Roman Oben. Rivers, Merriman, and Kaeding all reached the Pro Bowl."

What is wrong with that? Looks like our new Country boy pulled one over on the city boys..

That is one of the greatest trades in NFL history. Rivers turned out to be a better QB anyways and they got 2 pro bowls and a servicable vet OL in turn. It's absolutely insane.

get your facts staright...Eli made it known before the draft he didnt want to play for the Chargers and that he wanted to play in NY and that it would end up with SD drafting Eli and NY drafting Rivers witht he trade being announced later

Manning made it known BEFORE the draft that he did not want to play for the Chargers, but NY would not make a deal with S.D. before the Draft in the hope S.D. would pass on him. S.D. definately got the better of that deal.

Good summary. I didn't realize there were fans who failed to understand that trade. Maybe I should issue a memo.