Schopp just admits that it's personal with the Bills

PromoTheRobot

Both Tim and yourself Mr. Wawrow make the wall a better place. To both of your credit neither hide behind anonymity as such both of you have targets on your backs. At least by this person you are very much appreciated. :unsure:

+1

Virtually every GR bashing post here is loaded with misquotes. It's pathetic.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh, you're a bigot. i get it.

no.....Schopp bragged about being friends on Facebook with Greg Louganis even though he does not know him.....and I dislike Schopp.....how does that make me a bigot?

Riter Radio on WECK 1230. His show is 10 times better. He has great guests such as Tim Grahm, Ruben Brown, Mike Florio...ect. This dudes show finally gave me an alternative to WGR afternoon radio.

I haven't heard Florio on the radio in a while. Does he just play clips of Peter King, Mortenson and Schefter during his spots Riter's show?

Schopp was just doing a monologue on the Nix hiring and admitted that much of the anger WGR shows toward the Bills is personal. Something to do with the Bills not returning phone calls and such. He also went on to say that it's very important for the Bills to have a good relationship with the press because it would lead to better treatment.

This may be common sense but it strikes me as rather petty and cheapens what WGR is all about. Basically Schopp is saying suck up to us and we'll be nice. Cross us and we'll hammer you. I always thought, as sports journalists, their job is to report the sports news, not inject their bruised egos into what they do.

PTR

Negative news get higher ratings than positive. Just look at all the negative news stories on every news cast. As for it being personal, not very professional.

Schopp reminds me of Dean Gordon 'Cheese' Pritchard in "OLD SCHOOL"

Mitch: Wow. Cheese. Is that you?

Mike Schopp: Hello, Mitch. Bernard. I see you guys haven't changed much.

Beanie: Who's this guy?

Mitch: Beanie, you remember Cheese, Rodney's kid brother?

Mike Schopp: Actually, my name's not Cheese anymore. It's Michael Schopp.

Beanie: Oh yeah. Cheeeeeese. Yeah, didn't we lock you in a dumpster one time?

Mike Schopp: Yea, I got out.

Beanie: Cool man. Good. Glad you did.

Mitch: So what are you? WGR security?

Mike Schopp: Try again.

Beanie: Jevohah Witness?

Mike Schopp: I'm a talk show host. Mike Schopp from Dope and the Corndog.

Schopp frequently gets under people's skin (which ultimately is at least part of his job) because he's short with people who - for whatever reason - don't come off sounding very intelligent on the radio. I listen fairly regularly, and I can't remember too many cases (if any) where an intelligent-sounding caller was treated poorly or in a condescening manner. The guys that fail with Schopp are the cliche repeaters.

I like that he has opinions and that a lot of his opinions are objectively defensible (such as by use of actual data), and often diametrically opposed to the boring, old (and frequently wrong) football cliches.

His chip-on-the-shoulder about insufficient media access from One Bills Drive isn't really all that revealing, nor particularly unique. He's far from the only media member with that complaint.

Yah. So many callers comment on stuff like playcalling and then when asked to provide an example sound like "uhhh umm well it just seemed like it was better/worse than week". Great, talking to that guy for 10 minutes would make for some interesting radio.

Now Jeremy White is STEALING ideas from the Howard Stern show....anyone catch his "Here are 5 stories, one of them is false....guess which one it is"....hmmmmmmm.....sound familiar Stern fans?

+1

Virtually every GR bashing post here is loaded with misquotes. It's pathetic.

There is no need to misquote their on-air staff. Any fan of talk radio can hear that their on air talent is lacking. The bits are embarassingly bad, I would love to hear Howard Stern rip them.

They had a voiceover guy proclaiming that while the other station plays rock music we cover the Bill 24/7. Right after, Mike Schopp admits to not watching the last game of the year live and that he only watched the highlights on Directv. You run promos about having the best coverage and your on-air talent doesn't even watch the game!!! They also ran promos on who will be the next Bills coach and two seconds later Schopp states on the air, "Isn't this beneath us, talking about rumours and who is going to coach here."

It also made laugh when they went out of their way to blast Nix for his 80% comment, while there Paul Hamilton originally broke the story about Billick assembling a staff and having an interview lined up. They kept saying how diligent they were about reporting reliable stories and they started the mess. Paul Hamilton has as much access to the Bills front office as the guy from East Aurora.

It's clear that WGR is in bed with the Sabres and go out of their way to kill the Bills.