Schopp just admits that it's personal with the Bills

PromoTheRobot

Schopp was just doing a monologue on the Nix hiring and admitted that much of the anger WGR shows toward the Bills is personal. Something to do with the Bills not returning phone calls and such. He also went on to say that it's very important for the Bills to have a good relationship with the press because it would lead to better treatment.

This may be common sense but it strikes me as rather petty and cheapens what WGR is all about. Basically Schopp is saying suck up to us and we'll be nice. Cross us and we'll hammer you. I always thought, as sports journalists, their job is to report the sports news, not inject their bruised egos into what they do.

PTR

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schopp was just doing a monologue on the Nix hiring and admitted that much of the anger WGR shows toward the Bills is personal. Something to do with the Bills not returning phone calls and such. He also went on to say that it's very important for the Bills to have a good relationship with the press because it would lead to better treatment.

This may be common sense but it strikes me as rather petty and cheapens what WGR is all about. Basically Schopp is saying suck up to us and we'll be nice. Cross us and we'll hammer you. I always thought, as sports journalists, their job is to report the sports news, not inject their bruised egos into what they do.

PTR

That clown has always had his own agenda. I think it stems from the Donahoe days. He was not exactly a media darling around Buffalo.

PTR

Such is life PTR, in any profession. The sports journalists are just like the paparazzi these days, just looking to create a "buzz" and earn some dough.

I work with a guy who is a big Miami fan. He listens to WGR because he likes to laugh at what an buffoon Schopp is. He can't believe some of the silly stuff these guys go off on, and how constantly negative they are.

The only reason I listen to WGR is to find out who advertises on their station so I can make sure not to patronize them.

PTR

PTR

Schopp is the reason I DONT LISTEN.I do listen to Howard Simon however

PTR

It would be nice if the Bills had the decency to talk to ANY of the local journalists that cover the team exclusively.

why is it that all stories are given to the national outlets?

basically the Bills thumb their noses at the local media as well as the fans that buy their product

It would be nice if the Bills had the decency to talk to ANY of the local journalists that cover the team exclusively.

basically the Bills thumb their noses at the local media as well as the fans that buy their product

It would be nice, but WGR has not exactly endeared themsleves to that organization. Not to mention, tough to use WGR and journalism together in any form.

It seems to me as if you my friend are wrong once again.As a matter of fact Buddy Nix addressed Murp in the p/c.Maybe they wont talk to wgr but that comes with good reason with jerkoffs like Schopp always putting the Bills down and talking derogatorally torwards them.I even remember listening to Wgr on Monday night game the Cowboys(painfull memory)and that tool wanting to talk about the Sabres while tailgating at the Ralph before the game

It seems to me as if you my friend are wrong once again.As a matter of fact Buddy Nix addressed Murp in the p/c.Maybe they wont talk to wgr but that comes with good reason with jerkoffs like Schopp always putting the Bills down and talking derogatorally torwards them.I even remember listening to Wgr on Monday night game the Cowboys(painfull memory)and that tool wanting to talk about the Sabres while tailgating at the Ralph before the game

It would be nice, but WGR has not exactly endeared themsleves to that organization. Not to mention, tough to use WGR and journalism together in any form.

Most comments that I see on TBD rip Sullivan, rip Schopp and have good things to say about Howard Simon. Is there anyone really worth a damn in the Buffalo media besides Howard Simon? I don't live there so I'm not treated to the media circus.

what about the local newspaper journalists that follow the team

they get to read about the breaking news on ESPN as well.

you confuse the issue

speaking to Murph at the press conf is not exactly giving him the chance for a scoop

who reported Nix as GM BEFORE the press conf?

it sure wasn;t the local guys

PTR

Despite what Mike's degree says, in his current role, he's not a journalist (which would imply remaining objective). He's a sports radio talk-show host, paid to express his opinions and get his listeners to interact with him on the air.

Think I've made it clear over the years that I'm not a fan of his, but to fall back on a cliche, "it is what it is."

Hey, as a former journalist, I want to say you guys are missing something here with WGR access to the Bills. Paul Hamilton has access like any other REPORTER. He has press credential and access to players and press conferences/releases. Schopp's issue is that he's a talking head, entertainer and loudmouth and he's sad that the Bills, rightly so, have chosen to ignore that station and the talk show hosts who try to pass off as journalists.

So really, WGR serves two purposes but Schopp has them confused. Purpose one is to REPORT the sports news, which they do very well and have no access issues and no problems (although I think they feel they should have every member of the organization's personal phone number and unfettered access to everyone, WRONG). The second purpose, self-chosen on their part, is to try to analyze and act as though they know everything and get people to tune in, ie the entertainment business. It's that end of their business they suck at (I recall turning my car on last week to some stupid Xmas draft, so that by itself kills any credibility Schopp and his show may have ever had).

So stop listening to them. I know, they're the only sports radio station right? That's not an excuse to listen to someone with an obvious ax to grind. Tune out.

PTR

his exact words were that the relationship these guys have with the media MATTERS. i'm not sure how much i agree, but it was not outrageous as you make it sound.

you guys that hate GR seem to really hate the guys who give you anything other than milquetoast. i prefer someone to have an OPINION, even if i don't agree with it. you don't have to be a characature of yourself, but i would much rather listen to a guy who is not a kiss-ass.