Carucci Confirmation on John Fox

JoeF

Yesterday the news broke that John Fox would be offered the opportunity to fulfill the last year of his contract next year with the Panthers. He would also be allowed to retain his entire staff.

Vic Carucci just filed his pro bowl story that had a tidbit I have been hearing for a while. Here is the link and the tidbit:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

The Carolina Panthers' coaching situation is something to watch. It isn't because the Panthers want to dump John Fox, as many in the media have speculated. As I'm hearing it from various NFL sources, it could very well be a case of Fox not wanting to remain with an organization that might not necessarily provide him with the resources to turn things around.

Let me add a bit to this:

Panthers owner Jerry Richardson fired his two sons from the organization just before the start of the 2009 regular season. The two sons did not have a common vision for the operation of the franchise. Richardson hired an old buddy from Wofford (SC) College and the then Athletic Director at TCU, Danny Morrison to run the team.

Richardson has always been on the cusp of lacking the deep pockets to be an NFL owner. A lot of the Peppers controversy is about having to shell out $30 or 40M in guarantees. Not extending Fox is just more evidence of this. Its very very hard for a lame duck coach and staff to succeed.

It would not surprise me if Fox resigns after the game this week. Richardson would get what he wants--no severance ties to a coach, the freedom to after Cowher at a reasonable price, and added value of having Cowher involved to ease the sale of the team to a consortium of well-heeled Charlotte power brokers (Led by former Bank of America CEO's Ken Lewis and Hugh McColl). If Fox is available the Bills should not hesitate a second in coming after him....

Just a little informed speculation...a tad of inside information but it could impact the Bills coaching search.

Yesterday the news broke that John Fox would be offered the opportunity to fulfill the last year of his contract next year with the Panthers. He would also be allowed to retain his entire staff.

Vic Carucci just filed his pro bowl story that had a tidbit I have been hearing for a while. Here is the link and the tidbit:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

The Carolina Panthers' coaching situation is something to watch. It isn't because the Panthers want to dump John Fox, as many in the media have speculated. As I'm hearing it from various NFL sources, it could very well be a case of Fox not wanting to remain with an organization that might not necessarily provide him with the resources to turn things around.

Let me add a bit to this:

Panthers owner Jerry Richardson fired his two sons from the organization just before the start of the 2009 regular season. The two sons did not have a common vision for the operation of the franchise. Richardson hired an old buddy from Wofford (SC) College and the then Athletic Director at TCU, Danny Morrison to run the team.

Richardson has always been on the cusp of lacking the deep pockets to be an NFL owner. A lot of the Peppers controversy is about having to shell out $30 or 40M in guarantees. Not extending Fox is just more evidence of this. Its very very hard for a lame duck coach and staff to succeed.

It would not surprise me if Fox resigns after the game this week. Richardson would get what he wants--no severance ties to a coach, the freedom to after Cowher at a reasonable price, and added value of having Cowher involved to ease the sale of the team to a consortium of well-heeled Charlotte power brokers (Led by former Bank of America CEO's Ken Lewis and Hugh McColl). If Fox is available the Bills should not hesitate a second in coming after him....

Just a little informed speculation...a tad of inside information but it could impact the Bills coaching search.

So the Panthers don't have enough cash to sign Peppers and extend Fox (in general, not having "the resources to turn things around"), yet they have enough to bring in the guy who will be the priciest HC hire in the history of the League?

Didn't Carucci just two weeks ago tell eveyone that NE wasn't going to make the playoffs?

So the Panthers don't have enough cash to sign Peppers and extend Fox (in general, not having "the resources to turn things around"), yet they have enough to bring in the guy who will be the priciest HC hire in the history of the League?

Didn't Carucci just two weeks ago tell eveyone that NE wasn't going to make the playoffs?

The new ownership investment would fund Cowher -- but his price would be more reasonable to stay in Carolina, word has it a 30-40% discount in salary which would be about $6.5M/per year - (Note that Fox is scheduled to make $6M in 2010). Cowher would receive limited partner status with the new ownership group. The new ownership would not fund a lucrative extension for John Fox.

According to an article in todays Charlotte Observer the owner decided to retain Fox but not extend his contract because he (the owner) is unsure whether or not there will be a 2011 season because of the potential lock out. He's hedging his bet that if there is no season he want have a coach to pay....and if there is a season he can hire Fox back or any one else available.

According to an article in todays Charlotte Observer the owner decided to retain Fox but not extend his contract because he (the owner) is unsure whether or not there will be a 2011 season because of the potential lock out. He's hedging his bet that if there is no season he want have a coach to pay....and if there is a season he can hire Fox back or any one else available.

How many other teams are following this strategy? Approximately zero....Nothing against the Panthers but every pundit I listen to says there will be no strike. This sounds like great messaging cooked up by the PR department. They already have trouble selling out--would you buy PSL's and season tickets to a team that is already planning to cut costs for an unlikely strike year.

This just adds to the argument that the Panthers under current ownership do not have the resources to be competitive. They are sitting in the middle of a pretty significant wealth pocket in Charlotte (Spaulding, McColl, Lewis, Bowles, Schwab, and many others)..they are just majority owned right now by the wrong guy.

If there is a lock out or strike, won't it be in 2010?

If he won't coach Carolina because of Resources, why would he even consider Buffalo?

How many other teams are following this strategy? Approximately zero....Nothing against the Panthers but every pundit I listen to says there will be no strike. This sounds like great messaging cooked up by the PR department. They already have trouble selling out--would you buy PSL's and season tickets to a team that is already planning to cut costs for an unlikely strike year.

This just adds to the argument that the Panthers under current ownership do not have the resources to be competitive. They are sitting in the middle of a pretty significant wealth pocket in Charlotte (Spaulding, McColl, Lewis, Bowles, Schwab, and many others)..they are just majority owned right now by the wrong guy.

I don't think that this is true. The PSLs were sold when the stadium was built to help with funding (no public funds were used in construction) and in order to keep your PSL you need to buy season tickets every season. No one forfeits their investment of several thousand dollars in a PSL by not buying season tickets. They sometimes try to sell off the PSL or the tickets for financial reasons and many times people just don't show up at the games (especially in the PSL seats that are corporately owned), but the seat has been sold and the Panthers have the money. The few single seat tickets that are not tied to PSLs were sold in a few days before the season started. Basically, although the stadium may not look full on TV, the seats have been sold.

I don't think that this is true. The PSLs were sold when the stadium was built to help with funding (no public funds were used in construction) and in order to keep your PSL you need to buy season tickets every season. No one forfeits their investment of several thousand dollars in a PSL by not buying season tickets. They sometimes try to sell off the PSL or the tickets for financial reasons and many times people just don't show up at the games (especially in the PSL seats that are corporately owned), but the seat has been sold and the Panthers have the money. The few single seat tickets that are not tied to PSLs were sold in a few days before the season started. Basically, although the stadium may not look full on TV, the seats have been sold.

You are correct. The team has the PSL revenue and never has to refund it. The PSL's are revoked if the holder does not renew and then can be resold. The Panthers do allow a transfer of PSL for $300. Last year the Panthers caused an uproar by threatening to revoke PSL's for fans who did not buy playoff tickets. Its not likely that anyone will give up their PSL investment by not renewing--but if my team was planning to go on the cheap for coaching for an anticipated strike year that may or may not happen--It wouldn't show me great commitment to winning.