QB Search - What is Billy Volek's Status?

Nevergiveup

I know we pursued him at one point. He has been on the bench, but he backs up one of the best QB's in the league. San Diego has tried to retain him every time his contract has come up. Tough to evaluate because of his lack of playing time, but he has to be better than what we have.

Anyone know his contract status? Love to be able season to add him to the list of potential QB's next season.

I know we pursued him at one point. He has been on the bench, but he backs up one of the best QB's in the league. San Diego has tried to retain him every time his contract has come up. Tough to evaluate because of his lack of playing time, but he has to be better than what we have.

Anyone know his contract status? Love to be able season to add him to the list of potential QB's next season.

Are you serious? Tom Donahoe was the guy who wanted him ages ago. On that note, why don't we bring back Shane Matthews. Or Todd Collins. :wallbash:

Billy Volek took the Todd Collins' NFL Longevity mail order course - "Achieve perma-backup status, stay healthy, and still collect a man - sized check".

+1.

Volek turned down a very good chance to be a starter (for several teams, not just the Bills).

Tells us all we need to know about him.

Mr. Guy, it's bad enough that we've had to endure your terrible work for years. Now you're asking us to do your work for you?

Volek kicks ass every time I see him play. I personally would love to see him on the Bills. And I am shocked he has never had an opportunity to be a full fledged starter

He had the opportunities. He declined to take them. Now he's 33.

I'm not knocking the low key. I'm low-key myself.

But I also know that this is not usually a character trait of successful QBs.

He had the opportunities. He declined to take them.

check out his game log from 2004. He has had spot duty since and not played much.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/game...&sYear=2004

He threw for 426 yards in week 14 then came back and threw for 492 yards the following week. Oh yeah- he threw for 8 tds and threw only 1 TD in those games. If that is declining an opportunity I don't know what to tell you. 426 + 492 = 918. Do you have any idea how many games it takes a Bills QB to throw for 918 yards? My guess is 6

He threw for 426 yards in week 14 then came back and threw for 492 yards the following week. Oh yeah- he threw for 8 tds and threw only 1 TD in those games. If that is declining an opportunity I don't know what to tell you.

One doesn't have anything to do with the other.

The experts are out in force today. How about guys like Rich Gannon, etc. Many players don't even mature as a QB until their 30's. Every time he has stepped on the field he has produced. Maybe he didn't like the options of starting for a bad team over backing up on a good one. Not too mention who knows what the offers were. San Diego seems to like him and they have a pretty good track record. You could bring him in and also draft a young QB. There are not too many players thatg could beat out Rivers right now. He has to be better than what we have and he looks to be a better option than anything I have seen so far.

check out his game log from 2004. He has had spot duty since and not played much.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/game...&sYear=2004

He threw for 426 yards in week 14 then came back and threw for 492 yards the following week. Oh yeah- he threw for 8 tds and threw only 1 TD in those games. If that is declining an opportunity I don't know what to tell you. 426 + 492 = 918. Do you have any idea how many games it takes a Bills QB to throw for 918 yards? My guess is 6

Pete,

Volek could have thrown for 1,000 yards a game and it wouldn't have mattered, given his mindset to be a career backup.

He was an unrestricted free agent, received interest from several teams, and chose to stay in Tenn behind McNair. Volek got on Fisher's bad side by "lying" (the circumstances are nebulous, as Fisher hasn't said any more on the subject) and then forcing a trade when he had a prime shot to succeed McNair a couple of years later.

Traded to SD, and as an UFA last year he re-signed for 3 year under Philip Rivers.

He had two opportunities while he was in his prime, squandered one and lost the other, then had a third chance and stayed in SD. (Admittedly, at 32, I'd stay in SD too).

Don't write that Volek has not had an opportunity to be a starter. This is a league where opportunity for most guys, never comes, or comes around once and is usually derailed by injury, etc. He's had the opportunity three times and declined each.

Pete,

Volek could have thrown for 1,000 yards a game and it wouldn't have mattered, given his mindset to be a career backup.

He was an unrestricted free agent, received interest from several teams, and chose to stay in Tenn behind McNair. Volek got on Fisher's bad side by "lying" (the circumstances are nebulous, as Fisher hasn't said any more on the subject) and then forcing a trade when he had a prime shot to succeed McNair a couple of years later.

Traded to SD, and as an UFA last year he re-signed for 3 year under Philip Rivers.

He had two opportunities while he was in his prime, squandered one and lost the other, then had a third chance and stayed in SD. (Admittedly, at 32, I'd stay in SD too).

Don't write that Volek has not had an opportunity to be a starter. This is a league where opportunity for most guys, never comes, or comes around once and is usually derailed by injury, etc. He's had the opportunity three times and declined each.

He has backed up 2 Pro Bowlers on playoff caliber teams. That does not mean he never wanted to be a starter. He has been one snap away from starting for a very good team in both situations. He could have jumped to a team that would have been a complete disaster or stayed where he was. I don't blame him for picking those situations over the unknown. There are a number of QB's that play their best football well into their 30's. As we have found out, it's not all about youth and phsical talent at the QB position. I would take a chance with him in a minute.

+1.

Volek turned down a very good chance to be a starter (for several teams, not just the Bills).

Tells us all we need to know about him.

Weren't the teams he had the chance to join pretty crappy, without mentioning the Bills? I don't remember this exactly, I could definitely be wrong, but I seem to remember myself thinking that joining those teams, even as a starter, might not be such a good idea.

The big problem would be his age, but among the current group of apparently available FAs, I would put Volek right up among the top two or three, if not #1.

However, I'd rather see us draft somebody early. But if we don't beleive anybody left to us is good enough, Volek would be a very interesting alternative.

His performance as a back up quarterback has nothing to do with UConn James' assessment that a career backup mentality does not translate to a good starting quarterback.

do you think Frank Reich could of been a good starter? Rich Gannon was a backup most of his career- then he led his team to the Superbowl. Hell- Tom Brady was a backup his whole college career. I don't understand the logic that just because a player does not start that they cannot QB this team