London Fletcher can still play.

Hossage

Let us now ponder why we didnt resign him, considering we paid his replacement about the same amount. I will start by speculating that SKOOBY is in fact Russ Brandon.

Should I even have gone here?

Whatever, none of our Bills are making me take my Eric Metcalf poster down.

What are you talking about?

Please tell me you didn't watch that game and think we needed him? He plays with one of the best DTs in the league in front of him, and support with a rising stud in Orakpo, and yet watching snippets of that game, I saw London making tackles 9 or 10 yards down field. I'm sorry if you're unwilling to accept that reality, as I know many posters like to pretend like that's not a valid complaint, but Fletcher is about as overrated as they come.

...Also, if this thread was created in jest, I didn't detect the sarcasm, and I apologize in advance.

Please tell me you didn't watch that game and think we needed him? He plays with one of the best DTs in the league in front of him, and support with a rising stud in Orakpo, and yet watching snippets of that game, I saw London making tackles 9 or 10 yards down field. I'm sorry if you're unwilling to accept that reality, as I know many posters like to pretend like that's not a valid complaint, but Fletcher is about as overrated as they come.

...Also, if this thread was created in jest, I didn't detect the sarcasm, and I apologize in advance.

I am perfectly serious. If thats what you saw and what you think, I wont waste any more words on you. Have a great time with your opinion. I mean, after all, this is an online BS forum.

Based on that particular game, I'd agree with you. Fletcher didn't have a good outing. That doesn't change the fact that he's had ANOTHER pro bowl season.

The argument that players exist in a vacuum is ridiculous. Great players need other great players around them. That's just reality. London Fletcher is a great middle linebacker and has been for over a decade now.

A recurring theme for the Bills this decade has been blowing up things that either were fine or could just use some improvement, added depth and/or competition.

The #3 ranked 3-4 defense was not good enough for G. Williams, so he blew that up for the 4-6.

Pat Williams and the linebackers "were on the decline," so let them go.

Henry is not good enough -> McGahee wants too much money.

Bledsoe stinks. Let's cut him and give the job to Losman rather than just have an open competition.

The offensive line could use some improvement in the interior, so let's trade a pro bowl tackle and cut two others and replace them with people who have never played an NFL snap.

A recurring theme for the Bills this decade has been blowing up things that either were fine or could just use some improvement, added depth and/or competition.

The #3 ranked 3-4 defense was not good enough for G. Williams, so he blew that up for the 4-6.

Bledsoe stinks. Let's cut him and give the job to Losman rather than just have an open competition.

The offensive line could use some improvement in the interior, so let's trade the a pro bowl tackle and cut two others for people who have never played an NFL snap.

Sounds like a college program that is a perrenial loser. Wait, maybe that's what we have.

He can still play yes, but he is on one of the best defenses in the NFL (their offense is putrid), playing behind Orakpo and Haynesworth.

Orakpo is a linebacker - Fletcher doesn't play behind him, he plays next to him on the vast majority of snaps and Fletcher is one of the BIGGEST reasons Washington is one of the best defenses in the NFL.

At this point, in the same situation, Poz is just as good or better than Fletcher (and much cheaper).

Keep dreaming. That comment all but proves you haven't seen more than 2 Redskins' games all season.

I like Fletcher as a real go getter, but he would not have been as good as Pos was this year. I hate to think of him trying to stop the run game for us. He's playing well where he is with the support he has. He wouldn't have played well here. That being said I wish him well and hope he has a few more very productive seasons.

The offensive line could use some improvement in the interior, so let's trade a pro bowl tackle and cut two others and replace them with people who have never played an NFL snap.

Pretty much sums up the futility of the past decade - and this off season is likely to bring more as I highly doubt the undersized defensive line and LB's are going to be appealing to the new coach (I can't imagine that the Tampa suck 2 balls scheme stays next year).

He can still play yes, but he is on one of the best defenses in the NFL (their offense is putrid), playing behind Orakpo and Haynesworth. At this point, in the same situation, Poz is just as good or better than Fletcher (and much cheaper).

Now THAT, is the true definition of a stretch.

I like Fletcher as a real go getter, but he would not have been as good as Pos was this year. I hate to think of him trying to stop the run game for us. He's playing well where he is with the support he has. He wouldn't have played well here. That being said I wish him well and hope he has a few more very productive seasons.

I really don't know how you can come to that conclusion.

We have had a vacuum at LB since he left.

Poz is good, and I believe he is a keeper, but Fletcher is clearly an ironman. He is a field general. He can still get sideline to sideline. Hits like a truck. Plays bigger than his size.

And we could really use his dependable, veteran leadership.

I miss Fletcher, Pat Williams, and Antoine Winfield. Good teams find a way to keep their star players. Those 3 guys are stars, and were cornerstones we should have built around, not cast aside for the next best thing.

We were a leader in the NFL defense for a reason. Those 3 guys were a big part of why.

Fletcher is exactly what the Bills' defense needs: a fast sideline-to-sideline run-and-chase MLB. We didn't want to pay him. We didn't want to pay guys like Justin Bannan, Antoine Winfield, Jim Leonard, Sam Aiken, Pat Williams, etc. etc. Guys who other teams start, or utilize as valuable backups. I will say it again:

Ralph Wilson refuses to pay for NFL-caliber depth.

The cash-to-cap approach is killing this team.

The new billboard should read: Ralph, Please Sell.

Until he does, we flounder. It's that simple.

Orakpo is a linebacker - Fletcher doesn't play behind him, he plays next to him on the vast majority of snaps and Fletcher is one of the BIGGEST reasons Washington is one of the best defenses in the NFL.

Keep dreaming. That comment all but proves you haven't seen more than 2 Redskins' games all season.

I guarantee I have seen more than you, 2 in person-and just about every other one on TV-down here in Virginia, it is supposedly Redskins territory. I meant he plays next to Orakpo, and behind Haynesworth. Who does Poz have around him? The worst rushing defensive line in the NFL in front of him, a former safety and a street free agent nobody else wanted next to him? I really like Fletcher, but please get a clue.

Fletcher is exactly what the Bills' defense needs: a fast sideline-to-sideline run-and-chase MLB. We didn't want to pay him. We didn't want to pay guys like Justin Bannan, Antoine Winfield, Jim Leonard, Sam Aiken, Pat Williams, etc. etc. Guys who other teams start, or utilize as valuable backups. I will say it again:

Ralph Wilson refuses to pay for NFL-caliber depth.

The cash-to-cap approach is killing this team.

The new billboard should read: Ralph, Please Sell.

Until he does, we flounder. It's that simple.

I agree with everything you said, but be careful on this board, people will start blasting you accusing you of wishing Ralph would die, and that isn't nice.

He can still play yes, but he is on one of the best defenses in the NFL (their offense is putrid), playing behind Orakpo and Haynesworth. At this point, in the same situation, Poz is just as good or better than Fletcher (and much cheaper).

Fletcher makes the the players around him better. He is the main reason they are the 7th ranked defense in the league. Orakpo is another LB and Haynesworth is in his first year with the Redskins. Fletcher has been there for three years and they have been a top ten defense all three years and the Redskin fans recognize it.

Poz needs better players around him to look better.

Good players don't need better players around them to make them look good. They make players around them look better.

I never heard anyone say Bruce Smith would be better if he had better players around him.

Jim Kelly would be better if he had better players around him.

Consistantly people say if Poz had better players around him he would be better.

(and if he had rocket boosters on his ass he would be Astro Boy....he doesn't)

This is an excuse for Poz fans and demonstrates the fact he needs leadership as oppossed to providing it.

I think Poz is a middle of the pack LB and we could upgrade his position.

If you really think Poz is the answer then you should be happy with your 31 ranked defense.