Arlen Specter officially castrated

Mickey

Specter signed a fealty oath basically promising to approve whatever person the President should nominate for the Supreme Court in exchange for remaining the Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee. Essentially, he sold his vote in advance and not just one but all future votes on Bush nominees without even knowing who they might be. Bush could nominate Lance Ito and Specter is already pledged to support "any idividual President Bush finds worthy of nomination."

Specter's testicles, now being preserved in a pickle jar, will be on diplay at the offices of the Family Research Council as part of their "Death to the Independent Judiciary" display on public view until Christmas.

Specter signed a fealty oath basically promising to approve whatever person the President should nominate for the Supreme Court in exchange for remaining the Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee.  Essentially, he sold his vote in advance and not just one but all future votes on Bush nominees without even knowing who they might be.  Bush could nominate Lance Ito and Specter is already pledged to support "any idividual President Bush finds worthy of nomination." 

Specter's testicles, now being preserved in a pickle jar, will be on diplay at the offices of the Family Research Council as part of their "Death to the Independent Judiciary" display on public view until Christmas.

125654[/snapback]

What a surprise. Specter has been doing the reverse to his senate cohorts for years to get his pork through. Hard to believe he'd bow so quickly. :D

Let's pretend he's a moderate because he likes to spend other people's money, though. That's always fun.

Good, but it should have happened much earlier. Bush should not have supported the RINO in the Republican primary.

Remember, Specter got a murder out on bail when he was a trial lawyer and the guy skipped the country and lived free for 20 years (Ira Eichorn).

Specter signed a fealty oath basically promising to approve whatever person the President should nominate for the Supreme Court in exchange for remaining the Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee.  Essentially, he sold his vote in advance and not just one but all future votes on Bush nominees without even knowing who they might be.  Bush could nominate Lance Ito and Specter is already pledged to support "any idividual President Bush finds worthy of nomination." 

125654[/snapback]

Just think Mick, you get to make these kinds of post for the next four years. Castrated, news at 11PM was a good one. Its tough being on the losing team, isn’t it. I can relate. :D

You may want to bring it up a notch Counselor, these kind of shots are generally beneath you. After all, you often speak of rising above the rhetoric. Nice example you’re portraying to your fellow liberals. :D

I remember you saying that your farther was, pretty much a conservative, was he happy with this years go-around?

BTW, That kind flaming is in my department, no?

Just think Mick, you get to make these kinds of post for the next four years. Castrated, news at 11PM was a good one. Its tough being on the losing team, isn’t it. I can relate. :D

You may want to bring it up a notch Counselor, these kind of shots are generally beneath you. After all, you often speak of rising above the rhetoric. Nice example you’re portraying to your fellow liberals. :D

I remember you saying that your farther was, pretty much a conservative, was he happy with this years go-around?

125691[/snapback]

What's a farther?

125654[/snapback]

Link?

Pardon my skepticism, but I actually want to read what Specter signed before passing judgement.

If, however, he did sign something to that effect...I hope he has the great good sense to ignore it going forward.

125691[/snapback]

He has been groveling for days trying to hang on to his precious Chairmanship. It was embarassing to watch. I think the metaphor fits. Some links: Specter pledges loyalty :"Is it ironic that judicial nominees may not speculate at their confirmation hearings about how they will vote in future cases, but the chairman of the Judiciary Committee himself cannot be seated until he's pledged in advance to confirm those unknown nominees?"

Also, Specter Pledge

Would you consider this Specter's finest moment or a shining example of his independence? You would have to be pretty partisan to see this as anything other than the public shaming of a Senator by powerful special interest groups from outside of his own state. Would a Senate where the members have pledges regarding their future votes rammed down their throats be closer to or further away from becoming a set of executive rubber stampers? Power doesn't corrupt all in one day, it does it one formerly independent legislator at a time.

As for my Dad, Kerry is the first Democrat he has voted for since Kennedy.

As for my Dad, Kerry is the first Democrat he has voted for since Kennedy.

125835[/snapback]

Kerry is the first Democratic Presidential candidate my father, a lifelong Democrat and textbook Reagan Democrat, has ever voted for. And his first presidential vote was for Barry Goldwater. He said if he were of voting age in 1960 he would have voted for Nixon and was/is a big fan of Eisenhower

Like most of the Kerry voters, maybe 2/3, that I know he freely admits he was not a john kerry supporter and did not vote FOR john kerry but AGAINST GW Bush

EDIT: btw, i forgot this thread was originally about Arlen Specter, who my father, a lifelong resident of Pennsylvania voted to re-elect. As did I in 1998, prior to leaving the Keystone State

Kerry is the first Democratic Presidential candidate my father, a lifelong Democrat and textbook Reagan Democrat, has ever voted for.  And his first presidential vote was for Barry Goldwater.  He said if he were of voting age in 1960 he would have voted for Nixon and was/is a big fan of Eisenhower

Like most of the Kerry voters, maybe 2/3, that I know he freely admits he was not a john kerry supporter and did not vote FOR john kerry but AGAINST GW Bush

EDIT: btw, i forgot this thread was originally about Arlen Specter, who my father, a lifelong resident of Pennsylvania voted to re-elect.  As did I in 1998, prior to leaving the Keystone State

125852[/snapback]

What made him a life long dem then? New Deal?

125654[/snapback]

The man asked for it. The day after the election he came out and basiclly pounded his chest in challenge to his same party President. Not smart politics. The senate republicans had a right, and that very moment, to lay a serious smackdown on him.

What made him a life long dem then?  New Deal?

125983[/snapback]

necessity. my hometown of erie, pa is pretty much a one party system. the democrats have like 75% voter registration so the real election isn't in november but in the democratic primary

plus he was a city worker (police) and being a registered democrat is kind of an unoffical wink wink job requirement

necessity.  my hometown of erie, pa is pretty much a one party system.  the democrats have like 75% voter registration so the real election isn't in november but in the democratic primary

plus he was a city worker (police) and being a registered democrat is kind of an unoffical wink wink job requirement

126166[/snapback]

What ever works? :lol:<_<

I leave my judgement to myself... :D

What a surprise.  Specter has been doing the reverse to his senate cohorts for years to get his pork through.  Hard to believe he'd bow so quickly.  :(

Let's pretend he's a moderate because he likes to spend other people's money, though.  That's always fun.

125664[/snapback]

AD this was a no brainer for spector. Either he plays by the party rules or he becomes even less significant then he already is. He figures at least this way his name will get mentioned a few times. That is what this is all about, and why he agreed so quickly....this often happens when there really is only one choice.

AD this was a no brainer for spector. Either he plays by the party rules or he becomes even less significant then he already is. He figures at least this way his name will get mentioned a few times. That is what this is all about, and why he agreed so quickly....this often happens when there really is only one choice.

127691[/snapback]

"party rules"? aaahhhh comrade Richio, Stalin would be proud of you. Now Specter knows to be a good little apparatchik if he wants to enjoy weekends frolicking at the Party dascha.

"party rules"?  aaahhhh comrade Richio, Stalin would be proud of you.  Now Specter knows to be a good little apparatchik if he wants to enjoy weekends frolicking at the Party dascha.

128979[/snapback]

This has nothing to do with "party rules" or GW, this has to do with Specter being a complete moron.

The only reason Specter even got out of the primaries was because conservative senator Rick Santorum and GW endorsed him and stated publicly that Specter was key to possible judicial nominees. They were both very vocal and visible in campaigns (I know, I live in PA). He would have lost to Pat Thume in the primaries if not for this, without a doubt. So when he comes out immediately after his re-election and says pretty much the opposite, going against the very reason Santorum and GW endorsed him, what did you expect to happen?

I don't care about Republicans or Democrats, when a man owes his election to promises he made, if he doesn't come through on those promises he doesn't deserve anything. This isn't just about Specter either. How do you think Santorum looked to his supporters (a majority who are pro-life) after the very man he endorsed threatened to turn against the very reasons he endorsed him? I would like to know how many angry phone calls Santorum got; it certainly threatened to make him look bad.

Rightfully so, the only way Specter was going to get the judicial committee chairman position is if he pledged to keep the very promises that got him elected. If Specter is such a moron that he thought he could lie and make phony promises to Santorum and GW, he got what he deserved.

This has nothing to do with "party rules" or GW, this has to do with Specter being a complete moron.

The only reason Specter even got out of the primaries was because conservative senator Rick Santorum and GW endorsed him and stated publicly that Specter was key to possible judicial nominees.  They were both very vocal and visible in campaigns (I know, I live in PA).  He would have lost to Pat Thume in the primaries if not for this, without a doubt.  So when he comes out immediately after his re-election and says pretty much the opposite, going against the very reason Santorum and GW endorsed him, what did you expect to happen?

I don't care about Republicans or Democrats, when a man owes his election to promises he made, if he doesn't come through on those promises he doesn't deserve anything.  This isn't just about Specter either.  How do you think Santorum looked to his supporters (a majority who are pro-life) after the very man he endorsed threatened to turn against the very reasons he endorsed him?  I would like to know how many angry phone calls Santorum got; it certainly threatened to make him look bad.

Rightfully so, the only way Specter was going to get the judicial committee chairman position is if he pledged to keep the very promises that got him elected.  If Specter is such a moron that he thought he could lie and make phony promises to Santorum and GW, he got what he deserved.

129366[/snapback]

Silly me, I thought the President supported him because he thought he was the best man for the job, I didn't realize it was in exchange for some favors on the Judiciary Committee. I didn't realize that in exchange for that support he sold his judgment as to as yet unknown nominees. Thanks for straightening that out.

Silly me, I thought the President supported him because he thought he was the best man for the job, I didn't realize it was in exchange for some favors on the Judiciary Committee.  I didn't realize that in exchange for that support he sold his judgment as to as yet unknown nominees.  Thanks for straightening that out.

129385[/snapback]

How unlike politicians. :angry:

I wonder if anyone questioned Specter about the recent Peterson decision. Evidently, a fetus was determined to be a legal, living being. You cannot kill something that is not alive.

Is it the case that voluntary killing is legal, but killing by a 2nd party is not? Where does that leave a physcian?