Is Brohm the future or do the bills go for another?

zer0vette

Does anyone have an accurate view on Brohm?

The kid was considered the top QB prospect in the game at one point and then his stock dropped significantly.

Still, there is no way he gained all of these accolades w/o having a considerable amount of raw talent.

I personally have never seen him play and I am skeptical as to why he was let go by the Packers (though it is clear they are set at starting QB for awhile).

There was speculation on PFT that the Bills wanted to sign Brohm for awhile, but Jauron was against the move. Thus, he was signed immediately after Jauron's departure. Not sure what that means, but it is worth noting.

I talked to a Packer fan this weekend and his view was that Brohm just got beat out. He had terrible games during the preseason and didn't earn a spot on the roster. The guy that beat him out was a good player in college and didn't get drafted until the later rounds because of perceived physical shortcomings.

Hey I hope the next coach can do something with Brohm, but at this point he is a talent upgrade at the 3rd qb position and that's it. To play him now when he hasn't had time to absorb our offense should only be done in an emergency situation, in my opinion. If he doesn't know the offense well, how can you evaluate him? You can see him throw the ball in practice, and we'll know in the offseason if he's shown enough in practice to warrant coming back for the preseason.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the bills sign Brohm to be the starter next year? Do they start him in either of the two remaining games? I'm teetering on a ledge with both of these questions. I think I'd like to see what he can do, but then again, could doing so have ill effects? Perhaps it would be wise to get the offensive line firmed up before attempting this.

Thoughts?

Bingo. Why would you want to get Brohm, or anyone else for that matter, killed behind these ushers? Trent lasted all of ...... what...... 4 plays?

Did the bills sign Brohm to be the starter next year? Do they start him in either of the two remaining games? I'm teetering on a ledge with both of these questions. I think I'd like to see what he can do, but then again, could doing so have ill effects? Perhaps it would be wise to get the offensive line firmed up before attempting this.

Thoughts?

How can you even consider a quarterback whose biggest acheivement in the Pros is being the starting QB on a practice squad the future? Sounds like something the Bills would do though, to keep the decade long losing streak going, right about in their price range.

For the life of me, I can't understand why Perry Fool chose to substitute Fanning Fan Edwards - a QB that Fool himself benched - to 'provide a spark' in the Bills offense, when he could have taken a look at former Heisman candidate Brohm. :wallbash:

Two sacks and one completion for minus-1 yards, Perry - not quite the 'spark' you were looking for, I'm guessin'.

Me thinks we'll see Brohm play this Sunday against the Falcons.

I have never really understood why so many people say don't play him because our offensive line sucks and it might somehow damage him. Yes he will probably get the crap kicked out of him, but as long as he is not seriously hurt, one would think the playing time would only help him understand the speed and dynamics of the NFL game and give the fans and more importanly the coaches and future FO (hopefully) a better gauge to see if he is anything.

I understand that not playing him last week as the Pats game was a big deal for Fewell and the organization but now it is really just like an early pre-season. I still want the Bills to win, as I don't think any "real" fan cheers for their team to lose for draft picks, but lets see who might be worth keeping in 2010.

A real fan wants what's best for the long-term interests of his team. A higher draft pick, will, on average, be more useful to that team than a lower draft pick.

Are the Bills the only team with QB issues in the NFL? Have the Bills been good at finding and developing diamonds in the rough of late, especially at QB?

If you say no and no, then explain how a kid you think may be a bona fide franchise QB could ride the Packers practice squad for over half a season and nobody but the Bills, after Jauron was relieved of his duties no less, happened to notice or give a damn.

Edit: I hope the Bills get a QB coach in the building and can develop this guy. But, WTF? Should we be betting everything on him to be the savior? Holy ****, Batman!

The chances that Brohm will be a great QB are not good, the chances of getting a great QB out of Free agency are not good, the chances of getting a great QB out of a 1st round draft pick are not good- I'd say get the rest of the team especially the OL up to par and maybe a quality vet QB might take a spin on the team in the next couple years and not get killed in the process- what the Bills have been good at the last ten years, has been to devise offenses that take away QBs strengths and expose their weaknesses- This is such a strong trend I can't believe it's merely incompetence but must believe that Ralph has standing orders to allow no Bill's QB to get close to Kelly's status.

Are the Bills the only team with QB issues in the NFL? Have the Bills been good at finding and developing diamonds in the rough of late, especially at QB?

If you say no and no, then explain how a kid you think may be a bona fide franchise QB could ride the Packers practice squad for over half a season and nobody but the Bills, after Jauron was relieved of his duties no less, happened to notice or give a damn.

Edit: I hope the Bills get a QB coach in the building and can develop this guy. But, WTF? Should we be betting everything on him to be the savior? Holy ****, Batman!

If you want a guy known for developing unknowns into leading QBs, look no further than...

Texas Tech quarterbacks under Mike Leach

How Mike Leach keeps producing prolific passers

I'd love to see what Leach could do with Brohm - and the Bills WRs.

Guest dog14787
If you want a guy known for developing unknowns into leading QBs, look no further than...

Texas Tech quarterbacks under Mike Leach

How Mike Leach keeps producing prolific passers

Graham Harrell would be a nice addition to bring into camp and try out and I really can't understand why he ended up going to the CFL. The guys got real good mechanics, extremely intelligent and constantly made plays in the face of defenders bearing down on him. He also looks like Brady's younger brother, poster boy II, what more could you ask for, geesh

Graham Harrell has NFL Superstar written all over him in my opinion if he could just get into the NFL.(so does Mike Leach)

I like Jason Campbell as a stopgap. He is playing half way decent this season and is still young. Washington is a flat out terrible situation for a QB, just like here.

When I first read this I said NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO !!

I've seen him play on TV many times and he's never looked very good. I think he's a checkdowner like Trent. But, his starts are way better than I though. 53 TDs 37 Ints and 82.2 QB rating carreer.

I'd probably rather have Tavaris Jackson. I'd defintely make strong run at Kyle Orton. You never know. If Denver falls out of playoffs you never know what that goofball coach of theirs will do. He traded Jay Cuttler. Maybe Duante Culpepper or Chad Pennington if our doctors think he's fit to play. See what Jeff Garcia's up to. I'd also see if Washington would take a 3rd rounder for Todd Collins and pull the trigger if yes. Everytime I've seen him play he's looked very good. He is 38 but well rested and in good shape because he hasn't played much.

None of these guys would be the long term answer, but so what? I'm tired of losing and have no interest in a 3 year rebuling program.

As far as Broehm goes, I have no idea what he can do. I've never seen him play. Let him compete for the starting job in training camp next year. We've got a full off season of OTAs and Training camp to see what he can do. Play him this year only in the case of an emergency.

Shoring up the O Line through draft and FA is number one priority.

If at all possible we need a real QB. I'm tired of baby sitting snot nose rookie QBs.

I'd probably rather have Tavaris Jackson. I'd defintely make strong run at Kyle Orton. You never know. If Denver falls out of playoffs you never know what that goofball coach of theirs will do. He traded Jay Cuttler. Maybe Duante Culpepper or Chad Pennington if our doctors think he's fit to play. See what Jeff Garcia's up to. I'd also see if Washington would take a 3rd rounder for Todd Collins and pull the trigger if yes. Everytime I've seen him play he's looked very good. He is 37 but well rested and in good shape because he hasn't played much.

Whoa whoa whoa....I had to re-read that 17 times to make sure I was seeing that correctly. You want to waste a 3rd round pick on Todd Collins, 15 years after we wasted a 2nd round? Tough one to figure out.

Whoa whoa whoa....I had to re-read that 17 times to make sure I was seeing that correctly. You want to waste a 3rd round pick on Todd Collins, 15 years after we wasted a 2nd round? Tough one to figure out.

Absolutely dude. You read it right. that 2nd round pick from 1997 is gone. You gotta forget about it. Did you watch the game tonight or the end of the 2007 season? Dude can play. He comes in, plays well for 2 years and helps younger bucks like Broehm or whoever. With a better line and Todd, we make the playoffs next year. Lee Evans would catch 12 TDs. TO another 10 or so. You read that right too. I say bring TO back! It'd be great. Cinderella story.

Graham Harrell would be a nice addition to bring into camp and try out and I really can't understand why he ended up going to the CFL. The guys got real good mechanics, extremely intelligent and constantly made plays in the face of defenders bearing down on him. He also looks like Brady's younger brother, poster boy II, what more could you ask for, geesh

Graham Harrell has NFL Superstar written all over him in my opinion if he could just get into the NFL.(so does Mike Leach)

why not bring in Harrell as a tryout? the guy is probably sitting at home waiting for someone to give him a shot...He was a great college qb who can at least be given the shot to fight it out with some younger guys (if we are wanting a younger guy in the organization, not just an old free agent qb i.e. collins, or garcia.) just IMHO we need something now...but who's saying one of them can't be it? Green bay because they wanted to let go of Brohm? or Jerry Glanville because he let Brett Farve go after throwing 2 picks in his first 4 passes for the Falcons...we'll never know. There's never no telling how successul QB will be unless you give him a shot.

The best thing they can do with Brohm is pack him in ice until next season, then let him try to win the QB job in training camp. If they play him now, the fans that hope he is the messiah will lose hope, the O-line will get him killed and he will become the record-breaking next guy the Bills put on IR. If a guy gets put on IR when he is dead, how long do they have to keep paying him?

Or, maybe worse, he comes out, and with some "beginners luck" has a nice two game stint... all of the sudden, the desperate fans need to annoint him as "better than Trent" (just as Trent was better than JP before him), expectations become way too high for next season, and, another QB crashes and burns in Buffalo....

If we go into next year with Brohm as the starter, we are in big trouble once again. You really want to go into a season with a guy who was beaten out by a 5th round rookie in Green Bay, has 0 career regular season passes and looked totally lost in pre-season games?

Exactly. Brohm's salary is fairly low, so it would be very easy for the Bills to keep him and bring in another guy who they expect to take the #1 spot but still give Brohm a chance to compete. I honestly can't see it go any other way.

If Brohm's salary were high, they would have problems with bringing in a high-round draft choice at QB, but as things stand, that would not present a problem.

The fact that Fewell came out and said Brohm wont play this season after joining after mid season shows they expect him to be an option and to compete for the job. They never at any point said squat about Hamdan or addressed whether he would ever see the field despite how bad our QB's have played.

People forget just 3 years ago he was projected to be the #1 pick in the draft but chose to stay in school. His Sr. year he was even better than his Jr. year but slipped behind Flacco and Ryan after his team finsihed 6-6 because the defense at Louisville couldnt stop a high school offense that year.

If Brohm was in the draft this year he would likely be the top QB taken. I would be utterly shocked if we took a QB early in this years draft unless some big name fell to us in the 2nd round or something. I really think Brohm was brought here as a guy with big upside and they will give him every opportunity to win this job. Going with Brohm gives us so MUCH more flexibility in the early parts of the draft where we can address our lines in the first 2 rounds.

Only in the last month or so, and on these boards was Brohm ever expected to go #1. He was considered a possible top 10 pick, but not a #1.

The fact that Fewell came out and said Brohm wont play this season after joining after mid season shows they expect him to be an option and to compete for the job. They never at any point said squat about Hamdan or addressed whether he would ever see the field despite how bad our QB's have played.

People forget just 3 years ago he was projected to be the #1 pick in the draft but chose to stay in school. His Sr. year he was even better than his Jr. year but slipped behind Flacco and Ryan after his team finsihed 6-6 because the defense at Louisville couldnt stop a high school offense that year.

If Brohm was in the draft this year he would likely be the top QB taken. I would be utterly shocked if we took a QB early in this years draft unless some big name fell to us in the 2nd round or something. I really think Brohm was brought here as a guy with big upside and they will give him every opportunity to win this job. Going with Brohm gives us so MUCH more flexibility in the early parts of the draft where we can address our lines in the first 2 rounds.

Prepared to be shocked.

Three years ago, Jamarcus Russell WAS the #1 pick. If the Raiders released Russell today and the Bills picked him up, would you expect them to ignore other QBs because we acquired 2007's #1 pick? No you wouldn't because what Russell did in college is irrelevant now that he's a bust in the NFL. At this point Brohm is a guy who wasn't good enough to make a team's roster and we picked him up on a flyer-just like if we picked up Russell, it would be on a flyer.

One other thing you're forgetting-the guys who were responsible for bringing Brohm here won't have anything to do with the on-field Buffalo Bills football operation next season. Brandon is being kicked upstairs to concentrate on what he does best-managing and marketing-not making football personnel decisions. The new guys won't care what the losers they replaced were thinking when they brought in Brohm. As a result, nobody except guys who have already proven they can play will be considered anything other than another body on the roster.