Listening To Thurman On WGR Right Now

BuffaloBaumer

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take it for what it is worth, but a friend of mine has a sibling who has worked for the Bills for about 20 years. Every now and again, this friend shares some "insider info" with me...nothing earth shattering, but enough to let me know, that they know what is going on. A couple of off seasons ago, right before Thurman was announced to the hall of fame, the Bills administrative office staff was told by management that Jim Kelly would be working for the Bills in some un-defined way. He would not be coaching the team in any fashion, they were told. They were not told what title he would have, only that he was an employee of the Buffalo Bills football organization. At the time, they all assumed this meant that he was, perhaps, a GM in training. The Bills were not going to annonce the hiring, until after the Super Bowl, as they didn't want to steal any of the spotlight from Thurmans' selection to the HOF.

I fully believed what I was told, and I posted my "inside info" at that time, and, as usually happens here, it was meant with some skepticism. I can understand that. When no announcement was made, after the Super Bowl, I wondered if I had been given some bad info. But, there was someone who was a longtime "lurker" on this board, also a Bills employee (I checked him out on the Bills site, and knew he was legit, also confirmed it with my other source, in a round about way), who confirmed all of this. He too was puzzled as to what became of the announcement.

It was around that time that Kelly started lobbying, very publicly, about buying the Bills. Other old time Bills (Thurman, Tally) were showing up in WNY. It seemed something was going on, but nobody was saying much.

I am starting to think that Ralph, perhaps, did give Kelly some reason to think that he had a legit shot of one day, being an owner, or part owner of the Bills. Maybe Ralph would give Kelly and his group some sort of "home town discount". This news of Thurman, today, is making me think that something is going to happen with Kelly. Kelly has been so vocal about this ownership issue, he always sounds like he is speaking like he knows something that the rest of us are not privy too, in regards to Bills ownership. He always seems to be speaking from a position of power. The idea that he could purchase the Bills from Ralph is proposterous, but it hasn't deterred him from expressing his intent to make sure the Bills stay in Buffalo. Perhaps we all find out in a few weeks... I hope Thurman isn't jerking our chain...

Kelly has said many times he wants to keep the Bills in Buffalo and has stated he has a way to

do it. I for one believe him. How he intends to do it and with whom is up for debate, but I do

find it interesting how some of his ex-teamates are rallying with him, such as Thurman, Talley

and Tasker. I don't believe those guys could pull it off themselves, but have a big time investor

on their side. As for Kelly in any roll other than owner, I doubt it, not coaching or GM.

My biggest concern is they think it will be easy to run an organization after being on the inside

as players. I just hope they don't bite off more than they can chew and hire many smart football

and organizational people.

I am starting to think that Ralph, perhaps, did give Kelly some reason to think that he had a legit shot of one day, being an owner, or part owner of the Bills.

One minor observation is that Kelly spent how many years raising money for Hunter?

As opposed to someone sitting in his basement wishfully thinking - Kelly has been pressing the fundraiser flesh for many, many years. I'm sure he has shaken a lot of wealthy hands.

Kelly seems awfully tied in to what is going on with the team

I wouldn't be surprised if Ralph sold 49% to Kelly and his group now, with the other 51% to be sold at a set price immediately upon his passing (or sooner if Ralph wished to get out of the business).

That way, Ralph is still the man calling the shots, but the future of the team is secure.

Al Davis is only one of several Raiders owners, but he owns the biggest share, so he is the man.

Awesome. This would greatly please all the fans who care more about having them stay in town than they do about them actually being GOOD. :ph34r:

Awesome. This would greatly please all the fans who care more about having them stay in town than they do about them actually being GOOD. :ph34r:

If you want to root for a good team & YOU DON'T CARE what City they REPRESENT go root for the Colts, Saints or Pats* The Pats* have MANY bandwagon fans, they will welcome you. This is a BUFFALO Bills board, no matter how good or bad they are.