(OT) Smoking pork

JinVA

I was wondering if anyone has ever smoked pork before, because I have a few questions. Im smoking some tomorrow for a FF draft party. I already have a rub,bar-b-que sauce and the wood chips so here goes.

Which is better for queing butts or shoulders?

How long do I need to soak the chips?

How long do I need to smoke them (I don't know how many lbs yet)?

any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

oh my god... this is painful.  How in the world can i rip on this thread's title when you put it out there like that?  Smoking Pork?   Oh man... Kordell, Ricky, etc... the jokes are endless.

I'm going home. .

9535[/snapback]

:D as soon as I, posted and saw it out there I knew this would turn into a joke

ok folks fire at will

I was wondering if anyone has ever smoked pork before, because I have a few questions.  Im smoking some tomorrow for a FF draft party. I already have a rub,bar-b-que sauce and the wood chips so here goes.

9533[/snapback]

"Funny" wise-ass replies aside, I can only tell you what worked for a buddy of mine who had smoked pork at a Super Bowl party.

He used shoulder, soaked the chips for roughly 3 or so hours (I think), and smoked them for close to 24 hours. I tried calling him and left a message, if I hear back I'll either PM you or send him over :D

EDIT--> I just heard from Lanny, it sounds like the advice from LA and Colorado below are what he'd suggest. He soaks chips for an hour at a time and uses as needed, and smokes for around 18 hours, but has gone longer or shorter depending on amount. He uses a 55-gallon barrel-sized smoker because he "does quantity" but said you should figure an hour and 15 minutes per pound. He stressed use a thermometer and that it should be 230-250. He also said to resist the urge to peek, it'll slow you down. Depending on how much you're smoking, you may be in for a long nite!

I was wondering if anyone has ever smoked pork before, because I have a few questions.  Im smoking some tomorrow for a FF draft party. I already have a rub,bar-b-que sauce and the wood chips so here goes.

9533[/snapback]

Now that the jokes are aside, I can tell you that you should soak your chips for 30 to 45 minutes, but keep adding chips to the water because when you smoke pork, you've got quite a number of hours ahead of you. You also need to keep plenty of charcoal on hand for the same reason and it's imperative you do you best to maintain your cooking temperature as best possible.

Resist the temptation to pull the cover and see how things are going. Everytime you take the cover off a smoker, you add 15 minutes to the cook time.

Most importantly, it helps if you can monitor the internal temperature of the pork. It should reach about 190 degrees to be considered done. And you don't wanna mess around with pork because if it's not cooked all the way, it's not good for you.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

I'm a proud owner of a Weber Smokey Mountain myself, and was delighted to see it referred to on this thread. It's about the best home smoking unit you can get for the price - under $150. chris allingham's site, The Virtual Weber Bullet, which BillsFanNC's post referred to is an outstanding web page. Check out their forum; it is an immense barbecue research zone, even for barbecuers who don't own a WSM.

As for pork, a couple quick pointers... rub yellow mustard on the pork butt (shoulder) to hold the rub in place, allow it to come to room temperature before placing in the smoker, shoot for around 225-250 degrees and use a remote thermometer (polder makes an excellent model), estimate 1 to 1.5 hours per pound of meat, rotate your meat at 'halftimes' ie if cooking for 6 hours then check at 3 hours then 1.5 then 45 mins, etc., i also recommend drizzling apple juice over the butt with a 'mop' each time you check it.

by the way, if you really want to do it right use wood CHUNKS not chips (and i hope you're using a smoker and not a grill). oak and cherry wood mix is my favorite so far. you don't need to soak chunks and you will get good, solid smoke production that will make all your neighbors within 2 blocks very jealous.