Langston Walker Now A Guard

NorCal Aaron

I like the part about Cable saying Walker weighed too much. In April, the Bills pronounced him a LT and put him on notice he'd be expected the play the position. In July, he showed up to camp just as overweight as he'd ever been. I'd think a professional athlete could motivate themselves into dropping weight. Apparently LW didn't.

Walker's major issue, one which prevented him from playing OT well, was a lack of lateral mobility. Now that LW is older, the move to guard is an attempt to mask this shortcoming.

I don't understand why it was evident in early 2007 that LW wasn't good, but it was Levy, Jauron, and Guy making the decisions after all.

I like the part about Cable saying Walker weighed too much. In April, the Bills pronounced him a LT and put him on notice he'd be expected the play the position. In July, he showed up to camp just as overweight as he'd ever been. I'd think a professional athlete could motivate themselves into dropping weight. Apparently LW didn't.

Walker's major issue, one which prevented him from playing OT well, was a lack of lateral mobility. Now that LW is older, the move to guard is an attempt to mask this shortcoming.

I don't understand why it was evident in early 2007 that LW wasn't good, but it was Levy, Jauron, and Guy making the decisions after all.

He was a good RT for the Bills

Problem was, the Bills wanted him to move over to the left side and he didn't want to. Then, when they wanted to go to a no huddle, they found him to be too slow for a no huddle so they cut him since he didn't fit the offence and didn't want to play where they wanted him. If they didn't switch to the no huddle, he would still be here

He was a good RT for the Bills

Problem was, the Bills wanted him to move over to the left side and he didn't want to. Then, when they wanted to go to a no huddle, they found him to be too slow for a no huddle so they cut him since he didn't fit the offence and didn't want to play where they wanted him. If they didn't switch to the no huddle, he would still be here

Didn't matter if the Bills ran the no huddle or not. Walker was destined to fail at the LT spot.

He was too slow to play the position.

Didn't matter if the Bills ran the no huddle or not. Walker was destined to fail at the LT spot.

He was too slow to play the position.

But he still would have been on the team as the LT until he ended up on IR, someone stepped up and beat him out, or he played out his contract or was switched back to RT. But with them running the no huddle, he couldn't play either tackle cause he wasn't able to get back to the line quick enough

The revealing part of the LW saga was that he was a mediocre or average at best RT when the Bills decision-makers, whoever they are, decided to sign him to a rich free agent contract a few years ago. The Bills' front office is not only embarrassingly bad evaluating college players the front office is also bad at evaluating free agent players and pricing them.

What is most sad or laughable is that the clueless owner has kept the primary scouts, John Guy and Tom Modrak, employed for a decade. Until there is a complete change in the front office it doesn't matter who the HC is. It starts with the players. The Bills simply don't have enough good players to compete. They haven't had that for a very long time.

The revealing part of the LW saga was that he was a mediocre or average at best RT when the Bills decision-makers, whoever they are, decided to sign him to a rich free agent contract a few years ago. The Bills' front office is not only embarrassingly bad evaluating college players the front office is also bad at evaluating free agent players and pricing them.

What is most sad or laughable is that the clueless owner has kept the primary scouts, John Guy and Tom Modrak, employed for a decade. Until there is a complete change in the front office it doesn't matter who the HC is. It starts with the players. The Bills simply don't have enough good players to compete. They haven't had that for a very long time.

:rolleyes: Bingo!

Mike Williams is presently playing reasonably well at RG for the Wash. Redskins. While he was out of football his weight ballooned to over 400 lbs. He lost over 100 lbs and seems to be more focused and dedicated to his profession. Similar to MW Langston Walker was a too big and sluggish lineman who certainly (obviously) wasn't suited for LT and wasn't even a high calilber RT. But given his limitations he could have been a useful player as a reserve RT and guard at both sides of the line. When LW was cut for financial reasons the Bills lost a somewhat versatile player who could have more than adequately filled in for Butler at RT when he got hurt.

Not having adequate reserves on the OL before the season started put the offense in a very precarious position. When the inevitable injuries occurred the line was too stripped to the bare bones to perform at a decent level. The outcome for the offense was predictable before the season even started because of the early roster decisions.

The good thing is, 2 of those 3 are gone (well, we don't know how much influence Levy still has whispering in Ralph's ear), and 1 left.

Guy MUST be fired!

Mike Williams is presently playing reasonably well at RG for the Wash. Redskins. While he was out of football his weight ballooned to over 400 lbs. He lost over 100 lbs and seems to be more focused and dedicated to his profession. Similar to MW Langston Walker was a too big and sluggish lineman who certainly (obviously) wasn't suited for LT and wasn't even a high calilber RT. But given his limitations he could have been a useful player as a reserve RT and guard at both sides of the line. When LW was cut for financial reasons the Bills lost a somewhat versatile player who could have more than adequately filled in for Butler at RT when he got hurt.

Not having adequate reserves on the OL before the season started put the offense in a very precarious position. When the inevitable injuries occurred the line was too stripped to the bare bones to perform at a decent level. The outcome for the offense was predictable before the season even started because of the early roster decisions.

Perhaps Strength and conditioning is a problem for the Bills?

Perhaps Strength and conditioning is a problem for the Bills?

You make a good point. With respect to Langston Walker you get what you get. When a player is not known for his work ethic to begin with you shouldn't be surprised when he turns out to what he has always been. That goes back to the primary reason why the Bills are such a persistently struggling franchise: the inept scouting and evaluations of personnel from this very flawed front office.

The Mike Williams saga is a little different. He was a player who dominated in college because of his tremendous size. What was clearly demonstrated with the Bills and Jacksonville is he didn't have the desire and will to play this brutal game. By being out of the game and being without the very sizeable paychecks for a couple of years he decided to dedicate himself to getting back in shape and playing the game which pays very well.

Unless an individual player is self-motivated no amount of training support is going to be sufficient to make a player be what he is capable of being. That goes back to issue of scouting and evaluating: The ability to identify physical and character qualities which lead to success. No organization is going to hit on all their personnel decisions. But teams which win do a better job than teams which don't. The Buffalo Bills are one of the worst at it. It is clearly reflected by its dismal record over an extended period of time.

But he still would have been on the team as the LT until he ended up on IR, someone stepped up and beat him out, or he played out his contract or was switched back to RT. But with them running the no huddle, he couldn't play either tackle cause he wasn't able to get back to the line quick enough

Hell, if this FO had half a brain, once Peters was traded, they would have signed/drafted a legit LT, and left Walker in RT position.

Walker would still be here playing RT.

Hell, if this FO had half a brain, once Peters was traded, they would have signed/drafted a legit LT, and left Walker in RT position.

Walker would still be here playing RT.

They could have drafted LT Ohrer or even gotten Levi Jones who was not on any team. So far he has been solid for the Washington Redskins. I'm not saying he is an upper tier player, but he would have been a reasonable option to fill the void left by the Peters trade.

The releasing of Dockery, Walker and the trading of Peters saved the franchise at least $11 million in payroll. Instead of getting a player such as Levi Jones to play left tackle the owner pocketed the money not used on payroll. There is no surprise why the Bills rank near the bottom. Just look at the owner and how the organization is structured and how the decisions are made.