Jimmy Clausen

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...t&p=1661790

PROS:

- Strong Arm

- Surgical accuracy

- Cold-weather tested (sorry Senator... :thumbsup: )

- Pro-style offense

- 3-year starter

- Moxie

CONS:

- He's from California so he's obviously the same as RJ, JP and Trent

- He had spiky hair when he was 18

- He played at ND so he's obviously the same as Rick Mirer or Brady Quinn

Bottom line, he is the most mechanically sound, pro-offense learned, spotlight tested, highest ceiling QB in this draft. If we have the chance to draft him, we do it.

PROS:

- Strong Arm

- Surgical accuracy

- Pro-style offense

- 3-year starter

- Moxie

CONS:

Bottom line, he is the most mechanically sound, pro-offense learned, spotlight tested, highest ceiling QB in this draft. If we have the chance to draft him, we do it.

I am starting to lean towards that way also. With Locker not coming out, Clausen is the best qb on the board. People will point to his win/loss record as some kind of negative but it is not his fault the defense could not stop anybody.

PROS:

- Strong Arm

- Surgical accuracy

- Pro-style offense

- 3-year starter

- Moxie

CONS:

Nice analysis.

But this is a moot point. He'll be long gone before #11.

People will point to his win/loss record as some kind of negative but it is not his fault the defense could not stop anybody.

Correct.

This is a slightly different point, but the fact that Clausen was statistically superior to Colt McCoy in just about every QB category just goes to show how important W/L is to public perception. For all the supposed "ND Attention" Clausen received, the bottom line is he was not even considered in the Heisman or All-American discussion. All because ND's defense couldn't stop a high school team.

And please believe, if ND had UT's defense, they'd be getting ready for Alabama right now.

Correct.

This is a slightly different point, but the fact that Clausen was statistically superior to Colt McCoy in just about every QB category just goes to show how important W/L is to public perception. For all the supposed "ND Attention" Clausen received, the bottom line is he was not even considered in the Heisman or All-American discussion. All because ND's defense couldn't stop a high school team.

And please believe, if ND had UT's defense, they'd be getting ready for Alabama right now.

Not necessarily saying that Mccoy is better than Clausen but Mccoy beats him in pretty much every statistical category (carreer completion percentage, Career QB rating, Total Yds, Total TDs, etc) so your argument does not hold water.

Please, I like Clausen, but to say this? This team lost to Michigan, Uconn, Pitt and Navy. They could barely squeak by michigan state, purdue, and washington. To say he has no cons is also ridiculous he has never won a big game, he has never had an 8 win season and he had the game in his hands against USC and he didn't come through. The kid has a tremendous arm and a lot of upside but come on

I doubt the fans and followers of this team are likely to be any where near mature enough to deal with the impacts of spending a #1 on a QB be it Clausen or whoever.

In particular I know that the local media led by WGR and Jerry Sullivan will in no way allow an athlete the time to develop that even the best QBs take to develop. Even the best I have seen at the position Peyton Manning took his team from logging 3-13 to draft him was to fast forward to be 3-13 the next year.

This put them in a position to then draft Edgerrin James, and with another first rounder Marvin Harrison they finally became a potent offense.

Yet, despite all this star powers it took the best GM out there constantly doing his waiver wire and negotiation magic to still have to go off the salary cap books and get one of the best D minded HCs in the league to finally win the SB.

After an 0 for the decade playoff run there is no way I can see that this team and it followers will be able to maintain in any sustainable way a team which depends on a young first rounder to be the new "savior". My sense is this team is going to need to go with a vet QB who can deal with the idiocy of a media who will be champing at the bit to create a new QB controversy.

If we take Clausen he is going to need to be part of a winning team immediately and this team does not even have a Ray Lewis to allow a Flacco time to develop that a young QB will need.

I think taking Clausen is a non-starter for this team where it is right now.

No question. Conversely, had they played w/o JC this season, they might have been 2-10.

My understanding is the Rams have the first pick, so if they take Suh, it'll be a bit of a crapshoot as to who gets Clausen. Browns, Skins and Raiders would all be in the mix. As would Seattle if they jumped ahead of us.

Please, I like Clausen, but to say this? This team lost to Michigan, Uconn, Pitt and Navy.

Just curious...did you actually watch any of those games?

Please, I like Clausen, but to say this? This team lost to Michigan, Uconn, Pitt and Navy. They could barely squeak by michigan state, purdue, and washington. To say he has no cons is also ridiculous he has never won a big game, he has never had an 8 win season and he had the game in his hands against USC and he didn't come through. The kid has a tremendous arm and a lot of upside but come on

Look, I am unabashedly pimping him here...I admit this. But as KD alluded to, you clearly didn't watch any of those games this year. Clausen, far from being the reason we lost or didn't blow out bad teams, was actually one of the few reasons we weren't embarrassed all season long. When healthy, he was the best player on the field in every game. If there is one knock on him, is that he stupidly chose Notre Dame over Southern Cal, where he surely would have won 10+ games and garnered far more national praise. As it is, he didn't lose much though as he will be the 1st QB taken, likely in the top 5.

And the USC game, you definitely didn't watch that one...Clausen put the ball right where it was supposed to be and the receiver slipped coming out of his turn. If Buffalo has the good fortune to draft him, it will be the positive step out of this decade-long nightmare we've all suffered through.