If Bills beat PATS & Colts, is the coach search over?

Chuckknox

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna keep doing this until I'm convinced these type of threads are gone for good...

:lol:

Seriously...Has the last 10 years simply rotted some brains around here that much? If Fewell is the Bills HC in 2010 get ready for another 3 years of crap...Cause that's what's going to happen...The Bills will still suck and still be looking for a legit NFL HC... :lol:

Amen to that. One thing though... Ralph is a senile idiot, but there's no way in hell he would give Fewell a 3-year contract, so it would probably only be 1 more year of crap.

what new GM???

If Fewell is the coach, then nothing changes in the front office

Brandon will sell the firing of Dick as the big move and the lemmings will eat it up and set ticket sales records

I realize that. I was implying that hiring a new GM/ Front Office makeover is the real move that needs to be made for any type of progress in this organization.

Alot of time is spent discussing situations on this board that have no chance of occuring. Buffalo will be lucky to win one of the last 3 games, much less all 3. Ralphy would love them to win all 3 though, would have an excuse not to pay real money to a real coach, instead another no experience, Johnny come cheaply coach.

Fplks would be crazy to have confidence (or even great hope the Bills are good enough (even if you believe in Fewell motivation).

However, one also is crazy if you do not realize:

1. This is by far the worst Pats team since they started their SB winning ways. The Moss meltdown is a clear sign that was used to be a TEAM is now clearly at best a team and if the Moss meltdown continues to go bad or becomes a cancer that divides the locker room, then not only are they quite capable of losing any given Sunday, but on the road playing against a team with nothing to lose might easily be a trap game for them. Probably mot, but then again who said us fans are supposed to be sane.

2. The Falcs are a sub .500 team just as the Bills are. Do you really have such faith in the Falcs?

3. Indy is a far much far, did I say far yet better team than the Bills. However, one bone jarring hit or injury to a Colt and they shut their game down even if they are undefeated going in (which they well may not be since they are clearly fighting the temptation to shut it down right now with two left to play before they face the Bills.

We all know these Bills are mediocre or worst than that. However, why do you have such faith in the troubled Pats, the also inadequate Falcs, and a Colts team which likely will have a bunch of reasons to shut it down if the going gets hard.

You rubes are making my point. There is nothing Perry Fewell can do to win the job in your eyes because he's not "elite", whatever the f**k that means. I see a guy who is getting some decent play out of an otherwise god-awful football team. You all seem to think if he can't turn crap into gold he sucks as a coach. Fine. Fewell will get a head coaching job elsewhere and you can all make excuses about his success.

PTR

Honestly, I don't see it.

With Perry, we are beating bad football teams. When we played bad football teams under Jauron ... we beat them. When I see us beat a GOOD team, I'll start to be impressed. So far, it's just more of the same.

I could ignore them because Fewell has not even remotely earned a chance at an NFL head coaching job.

I don't care about some "tah-dah" he could pull out of his asss. History says he is a poor coordinator. Four years of bottom of the league defense. Two seasons ago, his defense gave up TD's on 8 consecutive drives to NE. AT HOME. In a league where DC's earn their merit on their ability to creatively pressure the passer, Fewell has fallen woefully short.

IMO, if he is let go after this season, he will never even rise to a DC position again. Perry Fewell is a non-descript defensive backs coach who was only given a chance as a coordinator because a proven loser HC in Dick Jauron could not attract a good assistant to fill the position. If he were hired as the full time HC, does anyone really think that Fewell could attract quality assistants? The kind that want to and know that they can wow the league and ascend? You know, the kind that get chances at HC jobs with NFL organizations with competent people in charge?

Look, there is no guarantee a coordinator will make a great coach. But excellence at your assistant position should be a minimal qualification to ascension to HC in the NFL. Hiring Fewell would be utterly ridiculous.

Gotta disagree here. Perry has been a very effective coordinator, given the players he's had to work with and given the truly hopeless offenses we've had which have forced the defenses to spend way too much time on the field.

He may be an effective HC too. But I'd rather see someone who has already PROVEN he can be a good HC. An awful lot of good coordinators have turned into mediocre to lousy HCs.

Meh, providing the hopefully vastly remade front office and proven NFL GM want to retain Fewell, then I am onboard.

Can anyone tell me when Wilson said that he was changing the GM or front office? :unsure: I hear alot of chatter here on these posts about it but have yet to see anything from the Bills org.

With Perry, we are beating bad football teams. When we played bad football teams under Jauron ... we beat them. When I see us beat a GOOD team, I'll start to be impressed. So far, it's just more of the same.

Lets see. something like 12 players on IR and we are playing people from other team practice squad and you want us to win too? Jauron led this team to a 6-3 imbarasement to the Browns for crying out loud! I am happy to see that this coach is not half dead at the press conferences. Just the fact that he not afraid to say to players like Jackson, "you are doing better so you are now # 1" is an improvement in my eyes. We need players that wont pull a hammy when they get out of bed in the morn.

Here is what I would like to see. Stay in the games they have left. Build the OL in the off season and not with china dolls. Give Perry a 1 year contract. He then needs to put AVP back down to QB coach and hire a real OL coach. Then lets see what happens. I am sick of total overhaul and then we start with learning a whole new system.

He wins a few more games and he is probably in contention. I don't think the "established" NFL coaches such as Shanahan, Haslett and Schottenheimer are interested in the job, and with the possible exception of Schottenheimer, are right for the job. Fewell has the opportunity to showcase his coaching skills, knows the team and would be worth a year or two while the new GM and front office assesses the decision and decides to re-sign him or go in another direction. The presentchallenge is to get a new GM.

I agree with most of your post, but I think if you offered the job to Haslett, he would be here before you could blink your eyes. No way he turns it down, he wants back in the league, is getting no other attention, and played here. He would run to Buffalo for an interview.

When Fewell is on the open market after the season is over, does anybody really think that teams with HC vacancies will have him on their short list of candidates?

I'm actually amazed a few Folks around here think Fewell will be a HC candidate elsewhere...I just don't see it...Not saying the guy is horrible or anything like that...And He may very well be a few Teams token Interview for the Rooney Rule...But that's about it...I just don't see it unless a Team is willing to make the stretch of all stretches, and is looking to get out on the cheap...I think the Bills are Fewell's only shot at a HC Job and that is a LONG, long shot...I don't think at this point Ralph and Brandon can sell Fewell in 2010 no matter what happens...They need to make a splash and they know it... :unsure:

I'm actually amazed a few Folks around here think Fewell will be a HC candidate elsewhere...I just don't see it...Not saying the guy is horrible or anything like that...And He may very well be a few Teams token Interview for the Rooney Rule...But that's about it...I just don't see it unless a Team is willing to make the stretch of all stretches, and is looking to get out on the cheap...I think the Bills are Fewell's only shot at a HC Job and that is a LONG, long shot...I don't think at this point Ralph and Brandon can sell Fewell in 2010 no matter what happens...They need to make a splash and they know it... :unsure:
Exactly, it's just not happening. No other NFL team in their right mind in 2010 will be interested in a failure of a DC who's specialty is the loser Tampa-2 scheme. His only shot would've been to win out here & make the playoffs, then Ralph would have no choice but to give him the gig. Jerry Gray was vastly more qualified to be a HC when he left the Bills then Fewell is, and the best he was able to do was DB coach with the Redskins, with large thanks to GW.

You don't see it because you don't want to. Granted KC is bad but that is a road win. Are the Dolphins a bad team? They won the division last year and may win it again this year. They would have beat Jax, a probable wild-card team, if not for two TDs called back. You also ignore the fact he's working a patchwork O-line and roster decimated by injuries, so half the players are backups or guys who just joined the team. And yet with all that against him, he won 2 of 4 freakin' games!!

I get it. You want a rock star coach. But don't tell me Perry Fewell is doing a bad job.

PTR

Gotta disagree here. Perry has been a very effective coordinator, given the players he's had to work with and given the truly hopeless offenses we've had which have forced the defenses to spend way too much time on the field.

He may be an effective HC too. But I'd rather see someone who has already PROVEN he can be a good HC. An awful lot of good coordinators have turned into mediocre to lousy HCs.

the reason they have spent too much time on the field is because they can't make stops on 3rd down -

regardless of what the offense is doing, the defense could be pitching 3 and outs of its own.

but instead give up 17 play 10- minute drives