Kendall Simmons

Coach55

Question - given the improved line play in recent weeks, one has to ask - Could Kendall Simmons become a future full-time starter? He is a former 1st round pick and started for two Superbowl winning Pittsburg Steelers teams. He is only 30 and is finally recovering from his torn achilles tendon. He should atleast bring must needed depth to the roster. If he continues to play at a high level, it should give us 5 starter quality lineman (Wood, Levitre, Hangman and Butler). Obviously we need to pick up a left tackle, but otherwise, I think the remaining 80% of the line will actually be decent. You could use anyone of the following combonations:

LT, Levitre, Wood, Simmons, Butler

LT, Butler, Wood, Simmons, Levitre

LT, Levitre, Hangman, Wood, Butler

etc.

Thoughts?

Butler is still too injury prone. As much as I like the way he performs, I don't trust at all in his ability to stay on the field. We might have to get one more starter quality RT to replace him.

But otherwise, I agree.

Agreed, but Levitre may be good enough to play right tackle if we shuffle the line a bit.

Question - given the improved line play in recent weeks, one has to ask - Could Kendall Simmons become a future full-time starter? He is a former 1st round pick and started for two Superbowl winning Pittsburg Steelers teams. He is only 30 and is finally recovering from his torn achilles tendon. He should atleast bring must needed depth to the roster. If he continues to play at a high level, it should give us 5 starter quality lineman (Wood, Levitre, Hangman and Butler). Obviously we need to pick up a left tackle, but otherwise, I think the remaining 80% of the line will actually be decent. You could use anyone of the following combonations:

LT, Levitre, Wood, Simmons, Butler

LT, Butler, Wood, Simmons, Levitre

LT, Levitre, Hangman, Wood, Butler

etc.

Thoughts?

Better quit plugging Wood into your line combo's. Nobody's wanting to speculate yet, but I'd be surprised to see him play next year if ever. Too bad cuz I love his attitude, skills and nastiness.

Better quit plugging Wood into your line combo's. Nobody's wanting to speculate yet, but I'd be surprised to see him play next year if ever. Too bad cuz I love his attitude, skills and nastiness.

I heard on the post-game show that airs on 1260 AM yesterday in Erie that Wood will be fine, and to expect him back. I don't know who the host was. When I did a search I came up with Carucci, but the host talked to Carucci on the phone, so that isn't it.

Was he being optimistic? That would seem out of character for any Bills' radio personality...

Just to give a little input concerning the Wood injury and his prognosis.

My son-in-law is an Orthopedic surgeon (in the SF bay area) who was visiting us on Thanksgiving. I showed him the video and and asked him how serious it is. He does many tib/fib breaks all the time and said he should make a quick recovery . Not seeing all the details he said he had a lot of good things going for him. He is young, got treatment and surgery quickly ( the longer you wait the worse the result due to dying tissue, etc), Buffalo has good Medical staff and good medical care. It would have been much worse if it was ACL or MCL or both.

Rehab is relatively short and he said he should be at camp, probably OTA's since there is no hitting. Have faith, without setbacks, he should be good to go.

My son-in-law is an Orthopedic surgeon (in the SF bay area) who was visiting us on Thanksgiving. I showed him the video and and asked him how serious it is. He does many tib/fib breaks all the time and said he should make a quick recovery . Not seeing all the details he said he had a lot of good things going for him. He is young, got treatment and surgery quickly ( the longer you wait the worse the result due to dying tissue, etc), Buffalo has good Medical staff and good medical care. It would have been much worse if it was ACL or MCL or both.

Rehab is relatively short and he said he should be at camp, probably OTA's since there is no hitting. Have faith, without setbacks, he should be good to go.

I spoke with an ortho guy also. He said pretty much the same thing although qualified it with: "It depends on the individual and the exact spot of the break". But since Wood is an athlete in prime condition and by all accounts a tough guy, he should

have a high pain tolerance to handle the rehab. He's going to have to keep working the leg and unfortunately it's going to hurt to do so. And since he got great care right away, I think the outlook is pretty good. We need guys like him along the line.

Would you care to make a wager on this?

Definitely has a spot on this team come next season. Not necessarily as a starter (assuming wood is ready to go) but as depth and insurance in case Wood isn't read to go. To me the line next season should be

1st round LT, Levitre, Hangartner, Wood, and Butler. Now if Wood needs more time to recover Simmons should be the right guard. Now even if Wood is ready to go Simmons as a backup to either guard would be a good thing to have.

If we keep Simmons then we would have quality backups at LT (D Bell) RT (Meredith) and Guard in Simmons (And if we resign Seth McKinney thats another decent backup at guard). All we would need is a backup at center and our bench at O-line would be pretty good. Either way I hope Simmons has a place on this team next season.

When does Wood get to be our franchise center?

I see lot's of posts trying to move Wood to center. I'm not sure that I understand the logic. He appears to have the potential to be a franchise guard and by most accounts that I've read center is an easier position than guard to fill so why make the switch?

I see lot's of posts trying to move Wood to center. I'm not sure that I understand the logic. He appears to have the potential to be a franchise guard and by most accounts that I've read center is an easier position than guard to fill so why make the switch?

I am a pessimist when it comes to injuries, sometimes right (Hardy took the full year to recover from his injury) sometimes wrong (Byrd-man!) but looking at that calf snapped the wrong way, I really think Wood is a better conversation for mid next season or even for 2011. Hopefully he will be 100% at training camp, but it seems unlikely all things considered.

Given that, Simmons has size, experience and he seems to want it. Let's keep him on for sure.

Thanks for the info. Makes me feel better, though I'm still a little concerned.

Confuses me too. Right Guard is supposed to be the most difficult interior position to play and center the easiest, so your most talented interior lineman should be RG (assuming he is capable of playing that position), all other things being equal. Wood looks like he will be a good RG, Levitre looks solid at LG and Hangartner is not a disaster at C. Why mix things up?

Simmons has been injured last 2 yrs, looks like he has his health back so I would resign him if he continues to play better in the next 3 weeks.

I would move Wood to center also. 4 yr started at center in college and that would make the Bills stronger in the middle.( to handle Jenkins and Vince Wolfolk)

LT, Levitre, Wood, Simmons , RT (Bulter?)

Hangartner as a backup to the interior line. Bulter is ok but he cant stay on the field like Youbooty.

Find your self 2 more tackles with the draft and the free agent market.