Finally, A GM that gets it!

thewildrabbit

THE GAME IS WON AND LOST IN THE TRENCHES

it is not only an OL thing it is just as much as a DL thing... and guess what... Our DL is weak too. We have craptastic DE's

Peters forced the Bills hand. They did offer him 9 mil a season, but Peters refused it. The Bills also gave Peters a raise in 2007 without him asking for one. SO the Bills DID PAY PETERS.... It was Peters who wanted nothing to do with Buffalo !!!!!

and YES I was on the draft Oher @ #11 train.... But of course we took an undersized DE that is more of a project then a stud impact player (pure genius Buffalo)

Absolutely. The Maybin pick is a pick of team drafting as if it has luxuries, and not needs.

Peters, after all the Bills did for him in signing as an undrafted free agent and developing him into a Pro Bowl LT worthy of millions of dollars, ended up giving them McGahee treatment.

IMO, both players would have been nothing without the Bills (McGahee still is nothing as far as I am concerned). I know the lame-o's will cite "It's a business" blah, blah, blah. But there is no thankfulness in having a team take a chance on you and allow you to develop, heal, and showcase yourself to the rest of the league?

They are better off without both of them. Character speaks volumes.

My issue, like you mentioned as have many others, is that if you lose Peters than you have got to replace him.

Could you imagine if we DID draft Oher AND Wood in the first round? I really like Butler, and although Levitre is coming on, I don't know that I would have even drafted Levitre with Oher, Wood, Butler, and Hangartner on the roster.

We could have used the Levitre pick for our defensive line.

But alas, here's to hoping that an actual GM with experience winning comes in, and Modrak and Guy are sent packing.

Peters, so far this season, has shown that he isn't worth the contract Philly gave him.

Agree. While he's capable of playing at a very high level, the motivation level is definitely suspect. And this is only his first year with the team. If Philly starts to fade, look for his performance to drop.

An interesting and, I'm sure, in your mind an entirely apt comparison.

I'm guessing that, like FatBoy Peters, you went several months without communicating with your employer, only occasionally texting one of two or your favorite co-workers; tell us - did you also stay home for half a year to get your employer's attention and make him realize your worth while not communicating with him? :thumbdown:

Throw in to that he would have to reject the offer his organisation offered him (that was in increase over what he was currently making) to hold out for the toatal amount he had asked for.

Michael Lombardi stated recently on NFL network that the great teams have great offensive lines, and you can't get far with a bad O line.

Man, does this Bills fan get that last part.

When I heard him make that statement I started thinking "IF only", the Bills had paid Jason Peters or drafted Oher to replace him instead of drafting Maybin. Then the left side would have been locked down. The Bills had kept Langston Walker on the right side and put Hangartner at center and drafted Wood for guard. That line wouldn't be the weakest area of the team.

If they had just brought in Levi Jones or Mark Tauscher when they had the chance, the latter is the reason Rodgers is playing like he did last year and the Packers are doing so well right now.This front office is directly responsible for the current record of 4-8.

Its not just hindsight either, so many fans have posted here all season that the FO needs to bring in a tackle, they never did...

If the fans get it, why don't the paid professionals in the office at OBD get it?

The Bills could easily be 8-4 right now and leading the division... if the line could actually run and pass block worth a damn.

i disagree...peters aint worth it. of course we need an o line. but with an o line wwe still have lousy coaching, lousy QBs, lousy LBs, mediocre DEs. This isnt an 8-4 team by any stretch of the imagination even with a better o line.

Yes, there's also a head coach/offensive genius down in Lubbock, TX who preaches that...

In addition to head coach of the NCAA's leading passing offense for the past 10 years and - prior to that - stints as OC at Kentucky and Oklahoma, few pay any attention at all that this perfect candidate for Bills HC also was an offensive-line coach early in his career at Iowa Weslyan...

And yet, after 10 years, the guy still has been unable to win at least ONE Big 12 title.

Seems to me Leach has already reached his potential: being second rate.

Pass.

And yet, after 10 years, the guy still has been unable to win at least ONE Big 12 title.

Seems to me Leach has already reached his potential: being second rate.

Pass.

Again, as I keep trying to remind both the cynical and the ignorant, what Leach has accomplished has been done with unlikely, unwanted players that ended up at TT after being rejected by Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, et al.

If there was a draft in the Big 12, I gurantee Leach would have a conference title - several, in fact. Came damned close last season. Despite having to use 3 different QBs this season due to injuries, was still 2nd in the nation in passing offense.

Look for Leach to win the Big 12 next season with Taylor Potts, and make a legitimate run at the BCS. Unless, of course, someone in the Bills FO is awake and notices Leach before then, when it'll be too late to keep other NFL teams and big-time college programs from offering the guy way more than the $1.8M he gets at TT.

Again, as I keep trying to remind both the cynical and the ignorant, what Leach has accomplished has been done with unlikely, unwanted players that ended up at TT after being rejected by Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, et al.

If he was as good as you keep claiming him to be, he would attract the top recruits, and not the rejects.

If there was a draft in the Big 12, I gurantee Leach would have a conference title - several, in fact. Came damned close last season. Despite having to use 3 different QBs this season due to injuries, was still 2nd in the nation in passing offense.

After 9 years, the best he could do is come "damned close".

Houston Nutt and the Razorbacks came "damned close" to winning an SEC title in his fifth year.

And in both cases, it means the same thing: they failed.

Look for Leach to win the Big 12 next season with Taylor Potts, and make a legitimate run at the BCS. Unless, of course, someone in the Bills FO is awake and notices Leach before then, when it'll be too late to keep other NFL teams and big-time college programs from offering the guy way more than the $1.8M he gets at TT.

And if he doesn't, do you have your excuse ready?

If he was as good as you keep claiming him to be, he would attract the top recruits, and not the rejects.

As he is now beginning to do, as a result of the success of the program he has built. Starting junior QB Taylor Potts was recruited by Michigan, Baylor, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas A&M. It's obvious you don't follow the program, but just want to bash Leach without any factual knowledge upon which to base your claims. Leach also seems to have a keen eye for unwanted talent, like Wes Welker.

After 9 years, the best he could do is come "damned close".

Houston Nutt and the Razorbacks came "damned close" to winning an SEC title in his fifth year.

And in both cases, it means the same thing: they failed.

Wow - more ignorance. You're comparing Arkansas football program to the program Leach inherited at Texas Tech??? :thumbsup:

You do know that Arkansas has won and competed for national championships, yes? You do know that Arkansas has given us NFL Hall of Famers Lance Alworth and Dan Hampton, in addition to more than two dozen other NFL players including Pat Summerall and former Bills QB Joe Ferguson, right? You really wanna compare the Razorbacks storied program - including the legendary Frank Broyles - to little ol' Lubbock's Red Raiders??? :wallbash:

Leach has built the Texas Tech program from the ground up, my friend, with players that no one else wanted - and mangaged to have the NCAA's leading passing offense for 6 of his 10 years (coming in 2nd the other 4) and qualifying for post-season bowl play every year he's been there. Came outa nowhere last season to knock off #1 Texas and rise as high as #2 nationally, before settling at #11 - earning Leach Coach of the Year.

You really want to compare that to 'The Nutt'? :thumbsup:

And if he doesn't, do you have your excuse ready?

Nah, not really. Kinda stupid to make excuses today for something that will or won't happen until 12 months from now, dontcha think?

As he is now beginning to do, as a result of the success of the program he has built. Starting junior QB Taylor Potts was recruited by Michigan, Baylor, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas A&M. It's obvious you don't follow the program, but just want to bash Leach without any factual knowledge upon which to base your claims. Leach also seems to have a keen eye for unwanted talent, like Wes Welker.

And despite all that attention, Michigan was the only other school to make an offer to Potts.

After 10 years, I hope Leach was able to recruit more than ONE "top" recruit.

Wow - more ignorance. You're comparing Arkansas football program to the program Leach inherited at Texas Tech??? :thumbsup:

No, I was comparing Nutt to Leach.

You know, how they both came damn close to winning the conference, how they both won Coach of the Year honors, how they both run a gimmicky offense, how they both are "misunderstood" (for lack of a better word) by those outside their programs ...

Nah, not really. Kinda stupid to make excuses today for something that will or won't happen until 12 months from now, dontcha think?

You tell me. You're the one who stated Leach would have won multiple Big 12 championships if they were able to draft players, and to look for the Red Raiders to win the Big 12 next year.

Yeah, the Browns line with 1st round draft picks and all Pros is really lighting it up. And the pratice squad player snad late round picks and AFL players for Indy are really stinking it up?

Wait....maybe it has to do more with the QB.

The Bills would still stink with Peters just like last year b/c they do not have a good QB. When Fitz had time today he missed a WO Evans in the end zone and a WO Reed and missed on multiple other throws that would have kept drives going. That is when he had time.

We need a QB plain and simple more than anything else on this team

Agree. While he's capable of playing at a very high level, the motivation level is definitely suspect. And this is only his first year with the team. If Philly starts to fade, look for his performance to drop.

While the Peters hate still survives in Buffalo, the Eagles are very happy they made the trade for him. From various analysts I've listened to on the NFL network, almost all have stated that the Eagles wouldn't have the record they currently have without Peters.

Their starting left tackle was gone and they needed a replacement to lock down that spot, is Peters playing up to that 11 million dollar contract, not currently. But he is holding down one of the toughest positions in pro football and allowing McNabb time to throw, something the Bills are still in desperate need of.

While the Peters hate still survives in Buffalo, the Eagles are very happy they made the trade for him. From various analysts I've listened to on the NFL network, almost all have stated that the Eagles wouldn't have the record they currently have without Peters.

Their starting left tackle was gone and they needed a replacement to lock down that spot, is Peters playing up to that 11 million dollar contract, not currently. But he is holding down one of the toughest positions in pro football and allowing McNabb time to throw, something the Bills are still in desperate need of.

They blow out the Falcons without him. The main difference between the Bills and Eagles is Donovan McNabb. Peters is just another LT who blocks for a great QB. It's a lot harder finding a McNabb than a Peters.

Many here were complaining about how bad the O-line was last year. No they are nostalgic for that lineup? Typical.

With that line, we stumbled to a 7-9 finish. 8-4?? That's just nuts.

It isn't nuts to me, take a look at how things might be this season if the Bills could actually run block and pass block properly. If the Bills had at least tried to shore up that left tackle spot the entire season could have been different.

The New England game would have been won simply by being able to run out the clock at the end of the game.

The Cleveland game was lost by the score of 3-6, with even decent blocking the line would have allowed the Bills to score more then 3 points.

The Jacksonville game was lost 15-18, again with better blocking the run game works and the protections are better, Bills win.

The Jets game lost 13-19, that game was easily within reach IF the Bills could run the ball and the QB had more time to throw.

That is 4 games the Bills were in until the last few min. The Bills are currently 5-8, flip that around and say they only won 3 of those 4 games and its 8-5

In my view, either the front office or Dick Jauron or both destroyed this years team before they had even played a game by completely retooling the O line.While I agree with the new guards and center, cutting Walker was a stupid move, and so was not bringing in a decent replacement for Jason Peters at left tackle.