Concussions

CountDorkula

It seems that every week there are 4-5 players going down with concussions. Do you think that the NFL should invest into creating a new safer helmet for the players to wear? I dont ever recall this many concussions in one season in all my years of watching football. If anyone has any info/input on this i would love to know.

If this has already been started/ talked about somewhere else i am sorry, but im kinda new to the board.

What do ya guys think?

It seems that every week there are 4-5 players going down with concussions. Do you think that the NFL should invest into creating a new safer helmet for the players to wear? I dont ever recall this many concussions in one season in all my years of watching football. If anyone has any info/input on this i would love to know.

If this has already been started/ talked about somewhere else i am sorry, but im kinda new to the board.

What do ya guys think?

I'm no doctor but the human body was not intended to take the repetitive pounding, blows, and physical punishment seen in football. Just ask Kevin Everett.

What do ya guys think?

Well they kind of did that didn't they? With those ugly robotic helmets, like what Peyton Manning wears. I remember reading an article about how they use the same technology Nascar driver helmets have, suppose to absorb blows better. I could be wrong it was a few years ago.

What do ya guys think?

They either need to design a better helmet that prevents concussions, or go back to playing with leather helmets & little padding like they used in the 40's. I would bet there would be less injuries with less protection if it was equal for all. Hockey has a similar situation. There is much more high sticking since players all started wearing helmets. In the old days hockey players respected each others head & kept the sticks down (except for a few DIRTY players).

I'm no doctor but the human body was not intended to take the repetitive pounding, blows, and physical punishment seen in football.

I understand that, but dont you think it would lessen the severity or amount of times the concussion happens. Not to mention how lose some of these players wear their helmets .

I was thinking maybe instal a type of memory foam around the top of the head and jaw cheek area so it takes away some of the blow to the head.

Actually, the NFL is trying a different tact:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_brief...ine_players_for

Funny piece. I enjoyed it.

I posted a statement about the need for better helmets a week or two ago. My point is that the exterior of the helmet needs to be soft. If you look at the insde of the helmets NFL players now use, they have thick foam pads designed to absorb the shock of a hit. But the outside of the NFL helmet is hard plastic that is shatterproof. The players have been increasingly using this hard device as a weapon. Some neck injuries have occured because players often launch themselves head first at their opponents. But even more damage has been done to the recipients of the helmet ramming.

If the outside of the helmet was made of a soft material that (along with the existing internal protection) improves the energy absorption greatly, less concussions would result. In addition, players would stop using a soft helmet as a weapon, because it would not enhance the blow to the opponent.

In the past, soft add-ons have been placed on helmets where the player is prone to concussions (see Kelso). But there has not been an emphasis on designing a completely soft helmet. It is needed, now, if we want more star players to have an increased chance of having a lengthy football career.

There may not be more this year as it is easy to postulate that historically they were reported less (ignored more often). I have no doubt that Jimbo, for example, played more than one game with a concussion. There is just more awareness to the dangers now. I'm sure it was not that long ago that you were thought of as a pansy if you did not suck it up and go back into the game.

There may not be more this year as it is easy to postulate that historically they were reported less (ignored more often). I have no doubt that Jimbo, for example, played more than one game with a concussion. There is just more awareness to the dangers now. I'm sure it was not that long ago that you were thought of as a pansy if you did not suck it up and go back into the game.

Very good point. Even now a days(just ask Hines Ward) players are literally killing themselves (Kyle Turley for example) just to play an xetra 2 games a season.

I just dont see how risking you health and life are worth that much to some of theses guys. :ph34r:

And for the guys like Hines Ward just need to not judge other people for not killing themselves for a game.

This certainly has been the injury of the year. I don't know what it is but it seems like so many guys are suddenly getting concussed. Are we just getting better at diagnosing it? Are guys no longer playing hurt?

It's a serious problem, one that the NFL will have to take a good, long, hard look at this offseason. They'll have to implement a policy on how long you must sit before playing again after a concussion. Perhaps those special helmets and mouthguards that reduce likelihood of concussions should be mandatory.

Very good point. Even now a days(just ask Hines Ward) players are literally killing themselves (Kyle Turley for example) just to play an xetra 2 games a season.

I just dont see how risking you health and life are worth that much to some of theses guys. :ph34r:

And for the guys like Hines Ward just need to not judge other people for not killing themselves for a game.

While I hate what he did to the Bills tell me that Czonka did not play with what was probably a season long concussion. Not saying they were smart but guys used to just play hurt more often because they did not either know about or care about the long term implications.

This certainly has been the injury of the year. I don't know what it is but it seems like so many guys are suddenly getting concussed. Are we just getting better at diagnosing it? Are guys no longer playing hurt?

It's a serious problem, one that the NFL will have to take a good, long, hard look at this offseason. They'll have to implement a policy on how long you must sit before playing again after a concussion. Perhaps those special helmets and mouthguards that reduce likelihood of concussions should be mandatory.

I think the plight of many retired players has been receiving an increased focus over the last several years, and guys like Ted Johnson have been getting noisier about the pressure they felt to go back into games injured. The long-term consequences of these injuries are being examined in a way they weren't years ago which is raising awareness of the dangers.

I also believe there is something to the theory that as the amount of padding on players increases, they start to feel invulnerable. So there may in fact be a higher rate of concussions, but I would still bet the difference we're seeing is due to increased scrutiny.