Fewell on Maybin

CountDorkula

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787
jp is better than byrd? lindell? jackson? lynch? t.o.? l evans? stroud?

go to sleep with your little teddy rabbit. u dont know jack about football.

At least I know who the QB's are on this team.

Are the first 15 picks not supposed to be instant contributors in the NFL???

Yes in the eyes of most casual fans, but not based on the reality of situation.

Based on way too many years of watching NFL football (and a somewhat in depth analysis of one year which confirmed my feelings but is too small of a sample to stand up to statistical rigor) while many expect any player drafted in the first round to be an immediate starter, in real life only a little more than half of first rounders start in their first year.

It simply takes time for most athletes to develop mentally and physically in some cases to be legit starters in the NFL.

Your 15# seems to be one simply chosen to include Maybin and many Bills early picks under the mediocre 7-9 Jauron leadership.

Rather than picking a basically arbitrary # at 15, the actual arbitrary # used to identify first year starters is top 10 picks. Even in this case the tendency of top 10 selected players to be immediate starters is likely more due to the teams that picked them generally being pretty bad to get an early pick so their 1st year picks start, Being a top 10 pick is certainly no guarantee of being a quality player and one need only remember a series of QB names like Harrington, Akilis Smith and Ryan Leaf to see the expectation of a top 15 pick being a guaranteed starter ls misplaced (lest you think this in only true of QBs then remember names like Mandarich and Williams to also see top pick busts.

The other side of the equation is that late 1st round picks like Clements or much later in the draft picks like Tom Brady have become notable performers.

If you want to criticize Marv Levy for stepping up to pick a loser like McCargo in the first then the voice that says this needs to just as loudly praise him for picking Kyle Williams on the backside of the same draft.

The bottom line is that yes the draft is important jf only because good players tend to be drafted. However, all in all it is a crapshoot overall.

Its way too early to declare Maybin a bust anyway. For just about every great no brainer pick there is also a player who eveyone rejects multiple times like Jason Peters who is a lardass in many haters minds but like it or not he made the Peo Bowl twice to show that even if you draft well or make up for it with scouting of UDFAs your FO can still fail to develop a two time Pro Bowler well.

ok i'll give u that.

i dont know the 3rd qb's name. of course i could find out. but nah, not interested. brohm or grom. oh who cares

oh crap, im probably going to be labeled as a non fan because i dont know our 3rd strings name, how many dogs he has, what's his favorite nfl team?

Someone has to pay for drafting Maybin. I suspect Modrak will be fired at the end of the season. The move to pick him was a complete disaster from day one. It's one thing to not be good enough despite being physically capable. Maybin on the other hand not only is not good enough but he's built like a WR- long and lean. How the Bills scouts didn't envision him getting physically manhandled on the defensive line is beyond me. No offseason weight program is going to change his genetic make-up.

Agreed!

One year of college experience? Great freakin' pick?

I'd start him the rest of the season and let him get some "experience" (i.e. ass-kicked) and then get him some serious off season weight training. Maybe this pick can be salvaged in the future.

Fewell lost my vote of confidence when he made the decision to do whats best for himself and not the Buffalo Bills. The younger players should get some much needed play time as we wind down. Play time for players like Hardy, Johnson and Maybin should be at the top of the agenda in my opinion.

Perry Fewell probably lost all chance of retaining the HC position with the loss in Toronto last Thursday night against the Jets...

Brohm is the one player I would not include until the O-line shows some improvement, Fitz is the best choice for QB.

Winning games is the only proper agenda in the regular season.

Are the first 15 picks not supposed to be instant contributors in the NFL???

Not necessarily.

Look at Aaron Rodgers. Didn't contribute instantly, but is now making a huge impact. Was he a failure because he wasn't an instant contributor? I know he was chosen 24th, but he was expected to go earlier, and hypothetically, if he had been chosen 5th and had the exact same career he had to date, wouldn't you still say he was a terrific choice? I would.

How about Philip Rivers? In his first year, he was 5/8 for 33 yards. Bad pick?

It's certainly better if they contribute instantly, but if Maybin's a terrific player in the long run then it won't have been a bad pick.

And here's a quote of Fewell from Tim Graham's blog. It's SCARY how much he sounds like Jauron. Not good.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...2010-for-maybin

"I think he's going to be a dynamic player for us. It's very tough to play in this league, and I think he will get better, and he’ll be a top-flight pick. Maybe not at the end of this season, but he’s going to be a top-flight pick for this football team."

I really don't get why everybody keeps bringing up this statement/quote?

I get that he used it EVERY single press conference, and he try to use it as an EXCUSE most the time...but, I have heard so many ELITE players AND coaches say this. It seems like I hear that EVERY week either on ESPN/News, NFL Network, the raido or on the internet in articles or videos of press conferences. I have heard both Brady and Manning say this before. Reggie Bush said the same thing a few weeks back before the New England game. Brett Favre could probably be quote saying that a few times, or twelve.

Do you, or more appropriately, CAN YOU blame these guys for saying that?

It is VERY hard to win A, 1 (ONE) game, in the NFL, especially these days, let alone many games or games in a row. Yes, good teams find a way to do this, but it is hard for them as well. They put in countless hours of work, physically and mentally. They work outside and inside, in the classroom and on the field, as well as the gym. There are so many factors that can change the outcome of a game. On any given sunday, any week of any month of the season, ANY team can beat their opponent. An 0-10 team could beat a 10-0 team. It is not impossible...it is hard.

Just think...we COULD beat the Patriots. We have just chosen not to the last dozen times or so. But, I PROMISE YOU ALL...IT WILL HAPPEN SOONER OR LATER. I PROMISE!

That statement just flushed any cred you had left down the loo.

PTR

Yeah, because disagreeing with you leaves you with nothing.

If it's a choice between your football acumen, Promo, and the fact that Bill Polian thinks that Losman at least has a chance, I would definitely go with you over Polian.

(That was sarcasm.)

Of course not, but I think the odds of [Maybin turning into a Freeney type player] are remote.

Well, of course if he turns out lousy he'll have been a bad pick. That goes without saying.

But it is far from out of the question that he turns into a really good player. He's still young and growing and dealing with the effects of a holdout.

Since the bill are not getting any production out of him at DE, I guess it could not hurt to try him at OLB. He is not however, a LB. Many bills fans feel that OraKpo should have been the bills selection at 11, and while he has looked better than Maybin, he has really struggled. True nfl fans know that he has lost a lot of playing time recently and has been exploited by opposing defenses. Many big plays have gone against Washington with him on the field, especially in the running game. Maybin has not played LB and would struggle like Orakpo at that position. The bills best bet is work on his strength and technique. Many talent evaluators commented that Maybin was a major talent, but one that needed development. He left Penn State after his sophomore year and played at 225 pounds. While it is to early to give up on him, there is reason to have concern. The bills really need a pass rusher, so let's hope for the best.

A good overview. There's reason for concern, but also legitimate reason for hope.

Not necessarily.

Look at Aaron Rodgers. Didn't contribute instantly, but is now making a huge impact. Was he a failure because he wasn't an instant contributor? I know he was chosen 24th, but he was expected to go earlier, and hypothetically, if he had been chosen 5th and had the exact same career he had to date, wouldn't you still say he was a terrific choice? I would.

How about Philip Rivers? In his first year, he was 5/8 for 33 yards. Bad pick?

It's certainly better if they contribute instantly, but if Maybin's a terrific player in the long run then it won't have been a bad pick.

Exactly.

I am one who often whines about how wrong the conventional wisdom can be compared to reality (like the expectation a first round pick should start immediately or at least soon in his rookie year- in reality a 1st rounder is a little over 50% likely to first on the depth chart at his position his second year- and that is simply the reality).

However, one piece of conventional wisdom I think is true that its legit to claim one must wait until after a player's 3rd season to draw a reasonable conclusion as to whether he is a real bust or a real hit.

Too many players end up with a career track shown most starkly by Brett Favre and Steve Young who were both so stinky as young Tampa Bay players they got traded and became among the best ever in the game. Brad Johnson is another example of a player judged a loser worth letting walk not once but twice. However, in the right gig with more experience he QB'ed a team to an SB win.

Lest anyone think this phenomena is just QBs then look close to home with Eric Moulds simply sucking his first two years before breaking out in his third year becoming a pernenial Pro Bowler. GB though also that a young Bryce Paup was worth something but when it came down to dollars they let him walk to the Bills as an FA and he became and HFL player of the year for the Bills.

Maybin disappointed this year big time, but to write him off right now as a stupid pick may prove to be true in a couple of years but is simply premature right now.

Not really. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-t...y-round-input:1 Of the top 15, who is really lighting it up? Cushing is having a great rookie year and Orakpo is playing well. But LB is one of the easier position to transition too. DEs always take a lot of time and the guys ahead of Maybin are stronger and better right now.

Maybin may never live up to his draft status. But the lack of patience for a 21 year old is kinda pathetic.

i think the lack of patience for a #11 draft pick is perfectly reasonable. writing him off probably isnt.

If it's a choice between your football acumen, Promo, and the fact that Bill Polian thinks that Losman at least has a chance, I would definitely go with you over Polian.

(That was sarcasm.)

I wouldn't necessarily read too much into Losman's recent tryout. We don't necessarily know if the driving force behind Losman coming to Indy was Bill Polian, his son Chris Polian, or someone else in Indy's front office. Maybe someone lower on the totem pole wanted to at least take a closer look at Losman, and Polian (either Bill or Chris) decided to let him go ahead with it, more out of wanting to not cut the legs out from a subordinate than because either had any real faith that Losman was a serious candidate.

But another possibility is, as Dog points out, that Losman was made an offer, but chose to refuse. Maybe he thought that Manning would retire soon, but was told that he'd continue playing for many more years. Who knows?

I imagine that over the last few months, a lot of guys have gone to the Colts for tryouts, and that very few have come away with roster spots. Is this really a category of players at which we should be looking more closely? If for example we fill our quarterback position with Losman, then why not build our offensive line by signing linemen Polian tried out but decided he didn't want? We could also find a possession receiver to complement Evans (after T.O. is gone) by signing someone who came away from Indy without a contract. Same thing for defensive linemen and linebackers. Our defensive secondary has to be all first round picks though.

Okay, so maybe there was just a touch of sarcasm in the previous paragraph. A very light touch, because I'm quite subtle about such things! The point I was getting at is that being given a tryout by Indy, and coming away without a contract, should not necessarily be viewed as a credibility-enhancing event.