It's Official, Clausen Entering The Draft

H2o

What is with this Brohm optimism? What has he done besides getting picked up off of the Packers practice squad for everyone to get all excited? If he was such a solid prospect, do you think the Packers would have let him walk for zero compensation the year after they burned a 2nd round pick on him? He has similar size to Jim Kelly? ANOTHER GREAT BY POINT THE SENATOR, MAYBE YOU CAN LINK UP A YOUTUBE VIDEO OF HIS WEIGH IN AT THE COMBINE!

The fact is, the Bills outlook has become so sad that some fans are pinning their hopes on a QB who no one wanted. Great, sounds like the 2006 FA class who Marv brought it to turn the franchise around.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

OK, I'm over it. Now let me apologize in advance for my next 4 months of posts which will make even BlueFire's campaign to draft Vince Young in '06 look pale.

I'll start with:

- Strong Arm

- Surgical accuracy

- Cold-weather tested

- Pro-style offense

- 3-year starter

- Moxie

His accuracy makes Jake Locker look like JaMarcus Russell and his toughness makes Sam Bradford look like Rob Johnson. If ND's defense could stop a high school, he'd be preparing for a BCS bowl and clearing a space on his mantle for the Heisman.

He is the truth.

average arm, less than average legs, unable to turn a premier team into a winner

I like him well enough but i prefer locker

average arm, less than average legs, unable to turn a premier team into a winner

haha. premier? Notre Dame hasn't even been close to premier for a loong time. The closest they've been to relevance in probably a decade is 'almost' beating USC.

What is the fascination with Locker? The guy completes 55% of his passes at the college level and you guys think that will get better in the NFL? Seriously? Good athlete? Yes. Decent leader on the field? Seems to be. A guy who's gonna make it as a QB in the NFL? No. He's like the second coming of Drew Henson, only Henson performed better in college. Why do some of you honestly "prefer/want Locker", because his name is near the top on McShay and Kiper's "Big Board"? What have you actually seen, WITH YOUR OWN EYES, that you base your preference for him? Hopefully it's more than the passing highlights from ESPN Sportscenter.

What is the fascination with Locker? The guy completes 55% of his passes at the college level and you guys think that will get better in the NFL? Seriously? Good athlete? Yes. Decent leader on the field? Seems to be. A guy who's gonna make it as a QB in the NFL? No. He's like the second coming of Drew Henson, only Henson performed better in college. Why do some of you honestly "prefer/want Locker", because his name is near the top on McShay and Kiper's "Big Board"? What have you actually seen, WITH YOUR OWN EYES, that you base your preference for him? Hopefully it's more than the passing highlights from ESPN Sportscenter.

Are there actually any passing highlights of Jake Locker? Every hi-lite I see, he seems to be running!

Guy's played what, 28 games on a losing team? Cumulative record 9W/19L. Thrown 36 TDs/26 INTs in those 28 games while getting sacked 55 times. Culmulative QB rating of 74.5/53% completion ratio. 5300 yards in 3 seasons. 192 yards/game.

This guy's got the least impressive stats of any QB mentioned as a first-round possibility. Any idiot who thinks this guy's worth the risk of a wasted first-round pick probably also thinks FatBoy Jason Peters is going to the Pro Bowl and is worth the $60M the Eagles just wasted on the bum! :ph34r:

What is with this Brohm optimism? What has he done besides getting picked up off of the Packers practice squad for everyone to get all excited? If he was such a solid prospect, do you think the Packers would have let him walk for zero compensation the year after they burned a 2nd round pick on him? He has similar size to Jim Kelly? ANOTHER GREAT BY POINT THE SENATOR, MAYBE YOU CAN LINK UP A YOUTUBE VIDEO OF HIS WEIGH IN AT THE COMBINE!

The fact is, the Bills outlook has become so sad that some fans are pinning their hopes on a QB who no one wanted. Great, sounds like the 2006 FA class who Marv brought it to turn the franchise around.

For me, at least, its not so much an optimism as it is an interest. Why did we sign Brohm, paying him more money than Hamdan, just to sit on the bench like Hamdan? Again, knowing that you're going to have a new HC and possibly entire FO as well? It makes no sense. Either someone, somewhere has expressed an interest in getting him here or the FO is so beyond screwed up they're literally throwing darts at a board to decide what to do each week.

Someone suggested the move was made in an attempt to make the Bills look better to possible coaching candidates because we would then have a young QB with potential on the roster. That has merit, perhaps. But, it still seems like an expensive "ploy".

To the point about the Packers, if my memory serves correct, they actually counter offerred in an attempt to keep Brohm. They wanted him to stay a Packer. Brohm, however, chose the Bills because he saw it as a better opportunity to play. So, they, obviously, saw something the liked - just not enough to make him the number 2 guy this year.

To the point about the Packers, if my memory serves correct, they actually counter offerred in an attempt to keep Brohm. They wanted him to stay a Packer. Brohm, however, chose the Bills because he saw it as a better opportunity to play. So, they, obviously, saw something the liked - just not enough to make him the number 2 guy this year.

After the Bengals drafted Carson Palmer, they kept him as their third string QB his whole rookie year. That gave him the chance to learn the playbook and get better, without the pressure of being thrust into a game situation right away. He made considerable progress over the course of that year, and was well-prepared to assume the starter's position at the beginning of his second year.

What I'm saying here is that Brohm's current third string status doesn't indicate anything--either positive or negative--about how his long-term potential is perceived by this front office. The biggest positive with this guy is what he'd achieved in college, and the most serious concerns are that he was beaten out in Green Bay, and that he spent (most?) of the season on Green Bay's practice squad--available to everyone, signed by no one.

After the Bengals drafted Carson Palmer, they kept him as their third string QB his whole rookie year. That gave him the chance to learn the playbook and get better, without the pressure of being thrust into a game situation right away. He made considerable progress over the course of that year, and was well-prepared to assume the starter's position at the beginning of his second year.

What I'm saying here is that Brohm's current third string status doesn't indicate anything--either positive or negative--about how his long-term potential is perceived by this front office. The biggest positive with this guy is what he'd achieved in college, and the most serious concerns are that he was beaten out in Green Bay, and that he spent (most?) of the season on Green Bay's practice squad--available to everyone, signed by no one.

As most others have been arguing from the poles (NRA vs PETA), you have framed the issue perfectly. Thank you.

Are there actually any passing highlights of Jake Locker? Every hi-lite I see, he seems to be running!

Guys played what, 28 games on a losing team? Cumulative record 9W/19L. Thrown 36 TDs/26 INTs in those 28 games while getting sacked 55 times. Culmulative QB rating of 74.5/53% completion ratio. 5300 yards in 3 seasons. 192 yards/game.

This guy's got the least impressive stats of any QB mentioned as a first-round possibility. Any idiot who thinks this guy's worth the risk of a wasted first-round pick probably also thinks FatBoy Jason Peters is going to the Pro Bowl and is worth the $60M the Eagles just wasted on the bum! <_<

Awesome post!!! Statistics always tell the whole story....

In my opinion, Locker is the best QB prospect for the Bills by a wide margin. I don't think most of you understand how bad his supporting cast is. He plays on a team that won zero games without him last season. This season they won 5 games in the best overall conference in the country, and they came very close to winning several more.

There is no doubt his game needs more refinement, but the strides he has made in only 1 season playing in a pro-style offense is amazing. He has elite physical tools and is also a tremendous leader. His accuracy issues are overblown. When you have no line to block for you and WR's that drop a ton of passes, you will not have a great completion percentage.

If you have any doubts about the kind of player he is track down a copy of the Cal game from last weekend. Your questions will be answered...

Awesome post!!! Statistics always tell the whole story....

In my opinion, Locker is the best QB prospect for the Bills by a wide margin. I don't think most of you understand how bad his supporting cast is. He plays on a team that won zero games without him last season. This season they won 5 games in the best overall conference in the country, and they came very close to winning several more.

There is no doubt his game needs more refinement, but the strides he has made in only 1 season playing in a pro-style offense is amazing. He has elite physical tools and is also a tremendous leader. His accuracy issues are overblown. When you have no line to block for you and WR's that drop a ton of passes, you will not have a great completion percentage.

If you have any doubts about the kind of player he is track down a copy of the Cal game from last weekend. Your questions will be answered...

This post describes the Bills and our QBs perfectly. This guy sounds like he'd fit in nicely.

Actually, he's a bit bigger than Kelly was.

Fact is that his stats at Louisville are pretty damned impressive - way more impressive than Fanning Fan Edwards' #'s at Stanford. Fact is that he was a Heisman candidate in 2006 and was projected by a least one draftnik as a potential #1 overall pick in the 2007 draft, and certainly a first round pick.

So he forgoes the draft and returns to Louisville for his senior year. Puts up more great #'s (4000+ yards, 30 TDs/12 INTs, 65% completions, 152 rating in '07), but Louisville struggles that season and he drops in the draft, finally taken with the 56th overall pick.

Link - College Football News 2008 NFL Draft - QB Rankings

So you expect Green Bay's just going to leapfrog him in 2008 - as a rookie - ahead of Aaron Rodgers, whom they've been grooming as Brett Favre's replacement since 2005? Send some of what you're smoking this way, will ya?

Don't know why Matt Flynn won the backup job over Brohm. Then again, I don't know why Edwards was anointed our QB without so much as at least some competition in training camp. Coaches sometimes screw up. But I do know that Green Bay did try to keep Brohm, is taking some heat for losing him, and he's now the highest paid QB on the Bills roster.

All I said was that the guy looks like a prospect - probably the most interesting QB prospect on our roster - and that maybe Brandon & Co. actually stumbled across our future QB. Never said to start fitting him for a HOF blazer. Sheesh, can't a guy show a little optimism around here, without being ridiculed to death? <_<

Brohm's got great college #'s, a good football pedigree, and least he grew up and went to school in an area that experiences winter weather. I'd say he's no more questionable as a future NFL QB than Clausen, Tebow, McCoy, or Bradford, without burning a first round pick and paying $10-15M year after a lengthy negotiation/holdout.

Plus, he looks more like a football player than a Wanker-Punk that even ND fans just wanna punch in the face...

Link - Brian Brohm

JMO. Now we can stop the nonsense about QBs in round one, and build the OL, DL, and LB corps.

Fact is that his stats at Louisville are pretty damned impressive - way more impressive than Fanning Fan Edwards' #'s at Stanford. Fact is that he was a Heisman candidate in 2006 and was projected by a least one draftnik as a potential #1 overall pick in the 2007 draft, and certainly a first round pick.

So he forgoes the draft and returns to Louisville for his senior year. Puts up more great #'s (4000+ yards, 30 TDs/12 INTs, 65% completions, 152 rating in '07), but Louisville struggles that season and he drops in the draft, finally taken with the 56th overall pick.

So you expect Green Bay's just going to leapfrog him in 2008 - as a rookie - ahead of Aaron Rodgers, whom they've been grooming as Brett Favre's replacement since 2005? Send some of what you're smoking this way, will ya?

Don't know why Matt Flynn won the backup job over Brohm. Then again, I don't know why Edwards was anointed our QB without so much as at least some competition in training camp. Coaches sometimes screw up. But I do know that Green Bay did try to keep Brohm, is taking some heat for losing him, and he's now the highest paid QB on the Bills roster.

All I said was that the guy looks like a prospect - probably the most interesting QB prospect on our roster - and that maybe Brandon & Co. actually stumbled across our future QB. Never said to start fitting him for a HOF blazer. Sheesh, can't a guy show a little optimism around here, without being ridiculed to death? <_<

Brohm's got great college #'s, a good football pedigree, and least he grew up and went to school in an area that experiences winter weather. I'd say he's no more questionable as a future NFL QB than Clausen, Tebow, McCoy, or Bradford, without burning a first round pick and paying $10-15M year after a lengthy negotiation/holdout.

Plus, he looks more like a football player than a Wanker-Punk that even ND fans just wanna punch in the face...

Link - Brian Brohm

JMO. Now we can stop the nonsense about QBs in round one, and build the OL, DL, and LB corps.

Actually, all that makes me like Brohm even more. I like the fact that he opted to play his senior year, he had decent numbers while in college, he's not been shell-shocked behind a bad OLine or OC, and he looks like a QB (ok I just threw thisone in for fun). But, yeah, maybe he's got a lot more to offer than we currently realize.

Link - Brian Brohm

This is actually a fairly convincing post. If there's a top-tier QB like Clausen available, the Bills should probably take him. But in the more likely event that Clausen is off the boards by the time the Bills pick, I'd have no problem with taking a LT in the first round and another offensive lineman in the second. I know I probably sound a little like Bill from NYC here (not necessarily a bad thing at all!) but this team could justify taking offensive linemen with its first four draft picks:

1. LT. Currently a gaping hole.

2. RT. Butler gets hurt too much, and we could use an upgrade at his position.

3. G or C. Hangartnar is the lowest ranked starting center in the league, and should be a backup. Either draft a center or draft a guard and move Wood to center.

4. T. The Bills don't have quality depth at the OT position.

Doing that should fix the offensive line; and Brohm sounds like he at least has the potential to fix the quarterback position. We could give him a year or two to prove himself before addressing QB in the first round. Especially if there aren't any can't-miss QB prospects available when the Bills draft.

This is actually a fairly convincing post. If there's a top-tier QB like Clausen available, the Bills should probably take him. But in the more likely event that Clausen is off the boards by the time the Bills pick, I'd have no problem with taking a LT in the first round and another offensive lineman in the second. I know I probably sound a little like Bill from NYC here (not necessarily a bad thing at all!) but this team could justify taking offensive linemen with its first four draft picks:

I could live with that and it's kinda how I see it. I have no problem giving Brohm a shot and drafting a top teir LT first. However, I would suggest getting the best LB with the #2 pick. Have you seen out LBers?

Of course, it all depends on who's available as a FA and who the new HC is and what he wants to do. I really just hope someone doesn't come in thinking they have to completely blow up the team and start from scratch. IMO, there's more talent on this team than most people give them cedit for.

I could live with that and it's kinda how I see it. I have no problem giving Brohm a shot and drafting a top teir LT first. However, I would suggest getting the best LB with the #2 pick. Have you seen out LBers?

Of course, it all depends on who's available as a FA and who the new HC is and what he wants to do. I really just hope someone doesn't come in thinking they have to completely blow up the team and start from scratch. IMO, there's more talent on this team than most people give them cedit for.

I agree that LB is a need. However, we can't fix all our holes in a single off-season, so the upcoming draft should be considered year 1 of the rebuilding project. I think that the team should place a greater sense of urgency on building the offensive line than on its LB corps, for two reasons: 1) Offensive linemen typically take longer to develop than linebackers. By bringing them in early in the rebuilding process, you give them extra time to get up to speed. 2) I think that teams have a responsibility to their QBs to make a good faith effort to keep them from getting killed. Our most recent quarterback of the future has suffered multiple concussions in large part because his team failed in this responsibility.

Year 2 of the rebuilding project would mostly be devoted to the defense. If you're playing a 3-4--as the Bills hopefully will be--then you need four good to very good players on your defense to make it work.

NT: You need a Ted Washington or a Pat Williams: a guy who can hold his own and make plays while using up two blockers.

RDE: You don't have to have Bruce Smith here, but you at least need Marcellus Wiley. This guy will generate a lot of pass pressure, and will get you some sacks.

OLB: Ideally, you'll have a Bryce Paup in this position, but you can afford to have a guy that's a step or two down from him. This LB should be an expert pass rusher, but should also have the versatility to be good against the run and in pass coverage.

CB: You should have an Antoine Winfield here--a guy who can be on an island against the other team's best WR, and keep the situation under control. If you're forced to double cover their best receiver, then that leaves you with one less defender/less flexibility.

The other seven guys on defense should be solid players, but don't have to be at the same level as the four above-mentioned guys. So where does our defense stand in relation to getting those four first-rate players? We already have McGee, and that should be close enough to a top-level CB. Aaron Maybin has the potential to be a very good pass rushing OLB in a 3-4. So that leaves NT and RDE as the two positions in which we need elite-level players. Perhaps one or both of those positions could be addressed early in the 2011 draft. Then with their third or fourth round pick, the Bills can take ILBs or other players whom they hope will be solid starters--Brandon Spoon or Kyle Williams-level players, not necessarily Bryce Paup or Bruce Smith-level guys.

I agree that LB is a need. However, we can't fix all our holes in a single off-season, so the upcoming draft should be considered year 1 of the rebuilding project. I think that the team should place a greater sense of urgency on building the offensive line than on its LB corps, for two reasons: 1) Offensive linemen typically take longer to develop than linebackers. By bringing them in early in the rebuilding process, you give them extra time to get up to speed. 2) I think that teams have a responsibility to their QBs to make a good faith effort to keep them from getting killed. Our most recent quarterback of the future has suffered multiple concussions in large part because his team failed in this responsibility.

Year 2 of the rebuilding project would mostly be devoted to the defense. If you're playing a 3-4--as the Bills hopefully will be--then you need four good to very good players on your defense to make it work.

NT: You need a Ted Washington or a Pat Williams: a guy who can hold his own and make plays while using up two blockers.

RDE: You don't have to have Bruce Smith here, but you at least need Marcellus Wiley. This guy will generate a lot of pass pressure, and will get you some sacks.

OLB: Ideally, you'll have a Bryce Paup in this position, but you can afford to have a guy that's a step or two down from him. This LB should be an expert pass rusher, but should also have the versatility to be good against the run and in pass coverage.

CB: You should have an Antoine Winfield here--a guy who can be on an island against the other team's best WR, and keep the situation under control. If you're forced to double cover their best receiver, then that leaves you with one less defender/less flexibility.

The other seven guys on defense should be solid players, but don't have to be at the same level as the four above-mentioned guys. So where does our defense stand in relation to getting those four first-rate players? We already have McGee, and that should be close enough to a top-level CB. Aaron Maybin has the potential to be a very good pass rushing OLB in a 3-4. So that leaves NT and RDE as the two positions in which we need elite-level players. Perhaps one or both of those positions could be addressed early in the 2011 draft. Then with their third or fourth round pick, the Bills can take ILBs or other players whom they hope will be solid starters--Brandon Spoon or Kyle Williams-level players, not necessarily Bryce Paup or Bruce Smith-level guys.

I see what you're saying. But, that's wy I'm not as sold on switching to a 3-4 defense. Do we really want to switch to a defense that needs 4 LBs when we barely have 2 good ones? Plus we need a new NT and RDE? Seems like we could see much better improvement just by tweeking the 4-3 we currently play for a year by dropping all this soft zone, everyone run away from the LOS defense.

And, are we really hoping to start multiple rookies on the Oline again? Again, I don't think we're that bad on the Oline. Keep Butler healthy, Levitre, Wood (provided he comes back) and we've got three good guys, with an average center in Hangnail. Draft a stud LT and suddenly the Line may not be nearly as bad as many people think. Put 2 rookies on the line, shift wood to center, Butler back to guard... and jeeze we're back to square one... rookies and everyone in new positions.

I guess it comes down to how bad the new HC/FO thinks our current players are and how much they want to completely overhaul everything. Again, I don't think it needs that much. Our current defense isn't awful it just lacks a few players and thte proper attitude and game planning. Our offense could be worlds better with 1 or 2 linemen and a better QB.

All I said was that the guy looks like a prospect - probably the most interesting QB prospect on our roster - and that maybe Brandon & Co. actually stumbled across our future QB. Never said to start fitting him for a HOF blazer. Sheesh, can't a guy show a little optimism around here, without being ridiculed to death? :thumbsup:

Link - Brian Brohm

I still have no clue why you brought up his size in comparison to Kelly's size. Isn't Edwards 6'4" 225lbs.? You do make a good point by saying that he's the most interesting QB on our roster but thats like saying Colin Powell was the most truthful member of Bush's cabinet. The Packers drafted him because they weren't completely sold on Rodgers or else why the hell would they draft a guy in the 2nd round? It turns out that Rodgers is pretty friggen good but that doesn't mean that Brohm had to be cut. He obviously sucked and despite some reports, the Pack didn't fight all that hard to keep him.

http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/blog...mp;post_id=1317

Optimism is great, but to pass on Clausen because we have a pracice squad player would be yet another mistake in a long list of Bills blunders.