qb in the draft?

I see at least 4 qbs going in the first round this year and i think we need to really consider getting one. I would absolutely love to have jake locker because he can make pretty much any throw and he can run pretty well and playing in washington he has cold weather experience. Clausen is a sure fire top 3 pick so we cant get him, Ryan Mallett is a guy who is gonna sky rocket on draft boards if he declares, some team is gonna have to take a shot on bradford or tebow in the first round and mccoy might even get a look from teams too and locker is gonna go int the first round as well. Just sayin that we need to get a franchise qb this year and i dont want that guy being drafted in the 3rd round.

I don't care where we draft the franchise QB, so long as we get him. Trying to slot the QBs is difficult before the combine and pro days because that's when scouts will really get a look at some of the raw data on these guys. But I think you're right in that there will be 4, maybe 5, QBs getting first round grades depending on how many of the Juniors come out.

If the Bills have a high pick, which it looks like they will, then I'm all for taking the best rated overall player, regardless of position, at either OT, QB, LB or DL. If it's not a QB, there's a good chance they can get a good one in Round 2. If the QB class is as deep as some are predicting, then maybe even in Round 3. Either way, my order of importance as far as position would go in exactly that order. QB sadly is but one of 4 positions in dire need of play makers.

I believe in what many call "The First Rule of the Draft," which is simply this, "if your team doesn't have a franchise QB, and you have a chance to draft one, do it."

The rub, of course, is who will become franchise QBs.

As much as we need an LT, an LB and a DT, if you believe that one of those guys will be a franchise QB, and he's available when you pick, you have to take him.

I believe in what many call "The First Rule of the Draft," which is simply this, "if your team doesn't have a franchise QB, and you have a chance to draft one, do it."

As much as we need an LT, an LB and a DT, if you believe that one of those guys will be a franchise QB, and he's available when you pick, you have to take him.

You HAVE to take someone you have no idea will become a franchise QB? That doesn't make any sense.

While I'll agree that if the Bills were in position to draft a Peyton Manning type of prospect they should, but there are no sure things like that this year. Locker, Clausen??? Sorry, but those guys do not fit the "franchise" QBs label.

What I hope they do is trade down a few times and try to wind up with about six or seven draft picks in the first three rounds. Then use those picks on big fast and strong players for the OL, LBs and DL. Maybe you use one of those multiple picks on a QB like Tebow if he's there in the third.

Sorry but this team needs an influx of new talent, not one guy with unrealistic expectations placed on him and who will probably set this team back another few years. I'm very comfortable with building the OL and letting Fitzy, Brohm and a lower level free agent QB fight it out in 2010, then get your QB in 2011 if none of them pan out.

You can't say that any of these guys are franchise qbs or not...Clausen does look and play the type though, already has played in a pro atmosphere with big time pressure and in cold weather...my bet is washington takes him

The bills need great players...if the best player available is a qb then take him but man we need a LT, and DT and either one of those positions might be there when we draft...

BUT...just watch the bills win a few more games and screw up our draft.

Clausen is just another overhyped, overrated, ND QB.... ND hasn't produced schitt at QB in 30 years (montana), and this year will be no exception. Locker is a west coast pampered Sarkisian boy that ain't gonna cut it in Buffalo.

There's only one QB in this draft that is potentially Buff ready... and that is Tony Pike. He' wouldn't step right in, but he's got the moxy that no other QB in this draft has. And, after the showing against Pitt on Sat., a lot of you would have to agree.

I will add... Bradford has the best ability of all of them... arm, quick release, decisive, but brittle as fine crystal. If he's in a warm weather sight with a solid offensive line he'll be OK... til he gets smacked a couple of times.

You HAVE to take someone you have no idea will become a franchise QB? That doesn't make any sense.

While I'll agree that if the Bills were in position to draft a Peyton Manning type of prospect they should, but there are no sure things like that this year. Locker, Clausen??? Sorry, but those guys do not fit the "franchise" QBs label.

What I hope they do is trade down a few times and try to wind up with about six or seven draft picks in the first three rounds. Then use those picks on big fast and strong players for the OL, LBs and DL. Maybe you use one of those multiple picks on a QB like Tebow if he's there in the third.

Sorry but this team needs an influx of new talent, not one guy with unrealistic expectations placed on him and who will probably set this team back another few years. I'm very comfortable with building the OL and letting Fitzy, Brohm and a lower level free agent QB fight it out in 2010, then get your QB in 2011 if none of them pan out.

^ Best post I have read this season.

Clausen is just another overhyped, overrated, ND QB.... ND hasn't produced schitt at QB in 30 years (montana), and this year will be no exception. Locker is a west coast pampered Sarkisian boy that ain't gonna cut it in Buffalo.

There's only one QB in this draft that is potentially Buff ready... and that is Tony Pike. He' wouldn't step right in, but he's got the moxy that no other QB in this draft has. And, after the showing against Pitt on Sat., a lot of you would have to agree.

I will add... Bradford has the best ability of all of them... arm, quick release, decisive, but brittle as fine crystal. If he's in a warm weather sight with a solid offensive line he'll be OK... til he gets smacked a couple of times.

Wow.

That post is completely wrong. Impressive.

Pike is Buffalo ready? Have you seen him play? He has one of the weakest arms in college football and is looking more and more like a system QB. Also, you criticize Bradford for being brittle, but completely overlook Pike? Nice.

Locker is a west coast pampered Sarkisian boy? Have you ever been to Washington? We aren’t exactly talking about Southern Cal, Cal or Stanford.

Finally Clausen is the real deal. Look at his numbers playing in a pro-style offense, in the cold.

I agree. You could think your getting a franchise QB, and end up with Ryan Leaf. Much better to build a solid shell (OL, LB, etc). An average QB like Fitzy can lead you to the playoffs and perhaps even a super bowl win (Ravens, 2000) if you have a strong O-line and D.

Wow.

That post is completely wrong. Impressive.

Pike is Buffalo ready? Have you seen him play? He has one of the weakest arms in college football and is looking more and more like a system QB. Also, you criticize Bradford for being brittle, but completely overlook Pike? Nice.

Locker is a west coast pampered Sarkisian boy? Have you ever been to Washington? We aren’t exactly talking about Southern Cal, Cal or Stanford.

Finally Clausen is the real deal. Look at his numbers playing in a pro-style offense, in the cold.

Wanker-Punk Clausen played in the cold? Really? Where?

A little quick research shows that the temperatures in South Bend ranged from 47 to 70 in early-mid November, and the only places Clausen ever played for ND after mid-Nov are USC (the LA Coliseum), Stanford (Palo Alto), and Hawaii.

Did Oaks Christian H.S. in Westlake Village, CA play a lot of cold weather games? :devil:

Clausen's never played a cold-weather game in his life.

I see at least 4 qbs going in the first round this year and i think we need to really consider getting one. I would absolutely love to have jake locker because he can make pretty much any throw and he can run pretty well and playing in washington he has cold weather experience. Clausen is a sure fire top 3 pick so we cant get him, Ryan Mallett is a guy who is gonna sky rocket on draft boards if he declares, some team is gonna have to take a shot on bradford or tebow in the first round and mccoy might even get a look from teams too and locker is gonna go int the first round as well. Just sayin that we need to get a franchise qb this year and i dont want that guy being drafted in the 3rd round.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe we got our QB when we grabbed Brian Brohm. I would rather take a chance on him then give up a high draft choice and draft a QB we know nothing about. We need a difference making DT/OT/MLB.

I also believe with the proper coaching TE could be a good backup or even give Brohm competition for the starting roll. Let's build up our lines and LB corp first, get better at stopping the run, get better at running the ball, and then if Brohm doesn't work out (give him 2 years minimum), then take a chance with a high draft pick at QB.

Please Grampa Ralphie, higher a GM first and let him hire his coach.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe we got our QB when we grabbed Brian Brohm. I would rather take a chance on him then give up a high draft choice and draft a QB we know nothing about. We need a difference making DT/OT/MLB.

I also believe with the proper coaching TE could be a good backup or even give Brohm competition for the starting roll. Let's build up our lines and LB corp first, get better at stopping the run, get better at running the ball, and then if Brohm doesn't work out (give him 2 years minimum), then take a chance with a high draft pick at QB.

Please Grampa Ralphie, higher a GM first and let him hire his coach.

Agree on Brohm. All the highly touted QBs in this years draft have some question mark associated with them, be it cold-weather, injury-prone, not NFL-ready, whatever. Think you're right - the Bills had something 'up their sleeve' when they grabbed Brohm, but think the Bills have seen enough of Edwards and will keep him as #3 on the depth chart if they don't release him outright.

Let's build both lines and shore up the LB corps first. We can always draft Taylor Potts in round 7 next season. :devil:

You can pick between Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning. Both were considered guaranteed can't-miss franchise QB's at the time. Which do you draft? The draft is a coin flip.

PTR

...An average QB like Fitzy can lead you to the playoffs and perhaps even a super bowl win (Ravens, 2000) if you have a strong O-line and D.

Fitz?...as in Ryan Fitzpatrick?

He'll win you a game or 2 in a pinch, but lead a team to the playoffs....no.

I dont know where Mallet is ranked among QB's if he declares this year, but the kid has a rocket arm. I immediately thought of Joe Flacco the way he can see over the line and deliver bullets. I can see the Bills grabbing whichever QB falls into the late first early 2nd round (McCoy, Bradford, Mallet.) I think Clausen and Locker and maybe even Bradford will be Top 10 picks. Lets grab the best big man at pick 8 or wherever we land. DT mccoy, or the OT from Iowa, or Okung. Then snag whichever QB drops because they always do. Remember Quinn, Rogers both fell into the 20's when they were thought of as top 5-10

I wanted to get an idea of where QBs were generally selected so I listed all current starting QBs in the NFL and where and when they were drafted. I added up all their overall draft positions and divided it by 32 to get me an average draft position (ADP). For the sake of #'s, all 3 undrafted QBs were given an arbitrary value of 250.

Here is a list of all current starting QBs in the NFL and where they were drafted:

Tom Brady: 6th round/#199 overall

Peyton Manning: 1st round/#1 overall

Drew Brees: 2nd round/#32 overall

Philip Rivers: 1st round/#4 overall

Ben Roethlisberger: 1st round/#11 overall

Eli Manning: 1st round/#1 overall

Aaron Rodgers: 1st round/#24 overall

Tony Romo: Undrafted

Kurt Warner: Undrafted

Carson Palmer: 1st round/#1 overall

Donovan McNabb: 1st round/#2 overall

Ryan Fitzpatrick: 7th round/#250 overall

Jay Cutler: 1st round/#11 overall

Brett Favre: 2nd round/#33 overall

Matt Schaub: 3rd round/#90 overall

Matt Cassel: 7th round/#230 overall

Jake Delhomme: Undrafted

Chad Henne: 2nd round/#57 overall

Mark Sanchez: 1st round/#5 overall

Matt Hasselbeck: 6th round/#184 overall

Alex Smith: 1st round/#1 overall

Mark Bulger: 6th round/#168 overall

Brady Quinn: 1st round/#22 overall

Josh Freeman: 1st round/#17 overall

Matt Stafford: 1st round/#1 overall

Jason Campbell: 1st round/#25 overall

Bruce Gradkowski: 6th round/#194 overall

Matt Ryan: 1st round/#3 overall

Joe Flacco: 1st round/#18 overall

Vince Young: 1st round/#3 overall

David Garrard: 4th round/#108 overall

Kyle Orton: 4th round/#106 overall

The average draft position of starting QBs in the NFL is 79.7, which is about the 15th pick in the 3rd round.

Of these starting QBs, 17 were drafted in the 1st round. Of those that were drafted in the 1st round, their average draft position was 8.8 overall.

3 QBs were taken in the 2nd round

1 QB was taken in the 3rd round

2 QBs were taken in the 4th round

None were taken in the 5th round

4 QBs were taken in the 6th round

2 QBs were taken in the 7th round

3 QBs were undrafted

I know the Bills have a lot of holes to fill, but if they get a top 10 pick, the numbers show that if they drafted a QB with that pick, they would be better off than waiting til the later rounds to try and find that franchise QB.

I wanted to get an idea of where QBs were generally selected so I listed all current starting QBs in the NFL and where and when they were drafted. I added up all their overall draft positions and divided it by 32 to get me an average draft position (ADP). For the sake of #'s, all 3 undrafted QBs were given an arbitrary value of 250.

Here is a list of all current starting QBs in the NFL and where they were drafted:

The average draft position of starting QBs in the NFL is 79.7, which is about the 15th pick in the 3rd round.

Of these starting QBs, 17 were drafted in the 1st round. Of those that were drafted in the 1st round, their average draft position was 8.8 overall.

3 QBs were undrafted

I know the Bills have a lot of holes to fill, but if they get a top 10 pick, the numbers show that if they drafted a QB with that pick, they would be better off than waiting til the later rounds to try and find that franchise QB.

Actually your numbers prove they should try and draft a QB in the first round as that is the round where a vast majority of the starters came from.

Actually your numbers prove they should try and draft a QB in the first round as that is the round where a vast majority of the starters came from.

Correct. I also noticed that a few QBs (Brady, Hasselbeck, Schaub), were drafted in the later rounds, not to be starting QBs, but to fill a back up role because they were drafted with franchise QBs already on their team's roster (Bledsoe, Favre, and Vick).

Great research - thanks. However, it is just a mathematical average and more than a few of these 1st round QBs have been close to a bust (Alex Smith, Brady Quinn, the Oakland #1 QB) or a bust (JP is not on the list, nor is Akai Smith, Ryan Leaf, .... you know the list). While I agree if we get a dynamite, sure thing (at least in the scouts' mind) - then, yes, take him. However, this year all the QBs have significant flaws. If Brohm was coming out of Louisville THIS YEAR, where would he go? 1st or 2nd round probably - let's make him our 'franchise QB' pick this year and see if we can develop him. Why? First, the others actually in the draft aren't significantly better. Second, we have other needs on this team. And third, and most importantly, we really don't have time to develop a QB. It's been 10 years AND the 'core' players are getting older to the point that in 3 years we'll be retooling again (think Evans, Stroud, McGee, Schobel, and even the younger starters will be nearing 30). Our best hope is to find a 'serviceable QB' (not a career back-up but a Pennington-type, an Orten, someone that has started and had some success - not much or they wouldn't be available but some) as a 2 year stop gap and build the rest of the team. And hope Brohm or we hit magic with some 4th rounder but not risk a 1st round bust again. We can't afford losing another 1st round talent, the Top 8 salary cap hit, or, frankly, time.

3 QBs were undrafted