Smoking ban in bars and restaurants starts today in VA....

The Poojer

No, not in NY at least. Only place in NY you can enjoy a drink and smoke is open-air rooftops and sidewalk cafes.

Really? Not say at a private club... Golf club or say rod and gun club where private membership is required. I suppose then in NYS, it is an occupational health issue for the employees.

??

Argue if you want... I do see it as an occupational health issue. A steel worker has to be harnessed even if they wan to free walk. Sending smoker's outside is like issuing PPE's (personal protective equipment) to employees.

How can OSHA mandate what a private company has to provide its employees when it comes to protection? Smoking is no different IMO.

That was always my contention...let the tavern owner decide. Now, if tavern owners were permitted to decide smoking or non, I think not more than 30% would choose smoking. The market for non-smoking bars would be much bigger than for smoking bars. And everyone wins.

Sorry... I forgot to include this last part.

Can a shop owner decide if one of their welders needs certain protective equipment?

No.

Really? Not say at a private club... Golf club or say rod and gun club where private membership is required. I suppose then in NYS, it is an occupational health issue for the employees.

??

Argue if you want... I do see it as an occupational health issue. A steel worker has to be harnessed even if they wan to free walk. Sending smoker's outside is like issuing PPE's (personal protective equipment) to employees.

How can OSHA mandate what a private company has to provide its employees when it comes to protection? Smoking is no different IMO.

Private clubs are not exempted from the rule.

My point is that there ought to be choices. If I smoked, I'd have no problem tending bar in a tavern that permitted smoking. If I did not smoke, I would, most likely, prefer a non-smoking environment. That is where your example breaks down. Smoking is a chocie, even amongst the employees.

But the point is not really the smoking, it is the precedental value of the government prohibiting (not regulating as in OSHA, there is a difference) an otherwise lawful activity on private property. Dangerous stuff there.

If she smokes she pokes...looks like things just got tougher for the single men of Virginia.

Funny, I have heard that lots of guys pretend to smoke now as it is easier to strike up a conversation by going outside and bumming a lighter or match than coming up with something clever inside the bar.

Private clubs are not exempted from the rule.

I believe they are in VA, and smoking is not totally banned in VA...an Establishment just must have a walled off smoking section with its own ventilation equipment..or something like that. But, places like the OTB will still be smoking as they could afford the modifications, as will some of the bigger restaurants, bars etc.

I'm a non smoker, and essentially came of age during the era of smoking bans in public places in NYS. I personally take some issue with the paternalistic attitude of smoking bans.

As said above, it is a public health issue, but it sets a dangerous precedent. But truly, if the government were really concerned with our health, then Burger King, Taco Bell, and your local favorite pizza place would be deemed illegal too. Thats the distinction and contradiction I don't understand. It's ok at $8.00/pack (more than half of that goes to excise NYS

taxes) to kill yourself on your own dime but eat all the cholesterol and fast food you like.

UB literally has made smokers into a diseased demographic. You have to leave school property in order to light up. It's as if they're lepers or something. Not to sound harsh, but the smoker demographic is now worse than blacks were in the South in the 1960's. And I don't feel that's ok in America.

France smokes likes a chimney and drinks more than our national average, yet are considerably more healthy across the board. Obesity is the number 1 cause of preventable death in this country. As far as I'm concerned, smoke if ya got em.

Plus, even from a member of the DARE and "Just Say No" generation of the 90's, smoking still looks cool in movies and video games. I love watching Ghostbusters and how there is someone smoking in every scene, literally.

As said above, it is a public health issue, but it sets a dangerous precedent. But truly, if the government were really concerned with our health, then Burger King, Taco Bell, and your local favorite pizza place would be deemed illegal too. Thats the distinction and contradiction I don't understand. It's ok at $8.00/pack (more than half of that goes to excise NYS

taxes) to kill yourself on your own dime but eat all the cholesterol and fast food you like.

Without commenting on whether smoking bans are bad precedent, the government is not banning cigarette smoking to prevent health problems for smokers, it is to prevent health problems for second-hand smokers. If every time you ate a Grilled Stuffed Steak Burrito, the person next to you got a little fatter, then you'd be talking apples to apples. Not saying this is a justifying stance, but it is the argument.

Not to sound harsh, but the smoker demographic is now worse than blacks were in the South in the 1960's.

Um...?

I'm a non smoker, and essentially came of age during the era of smoking bans in public places in NYS. I personally take some issue with the paternalistic attitude of smoking bans.

UB literally has made smokers into a diseased demographic. You have to leave school property in order to light up. It's as if they're lepers or something. Not to sound harsh, but the smoker demographic is now worse than blacks were in the South in the 1960's. And I don't feel that's ok in America.

France smokes likes a chimney and drinks more than our national average, yet are considerably more healthy across the board. Obesity is the number 1 cause of preventable death in this country. As far as I'm concerned, smoke if ya got em.

Plus, even from a member of the DARE and "Just Say No" generation of the 90's, smoking still looks cool in movies and video games. I love watching Ghostbusters and how there is someone smoking in every scene, literally.

What are you, 15? :thumbsup: