Bench Mode

Coach Klein

Regardless of my name on here I have always argued that Lynch and Jackson should both be on the field. Now I know Freddy only had what? 75 yards rushing today? But this dude is a great all around football player. There were a few plays that I thought Freddy was down but he was able to get 5 or 6 more yards.

Then Beast Mode would come trotting on, get a pitch to the outside, and never cut up the field. I saw it twice with him today. And I don't even remember him out there much more than that (probably from the injury last week). He has been doing it all year long though. And I am FINALLY getting sick of it. He is arguably the most overrated back in the league. Argue "don't get rid of the pro bowl players" all you want. Watch the games. This dude is no pro bowl back.

So this is me finally saying leave Lynch on the bench. Sign another RB as a back-up.

P.S. Sorry for another Lynch/Jackson thread guys, I know it is getting to be like beating a dead horse. But those of you Beast Mode supporters will eventually see what many if the others on this board have been seeing all season long.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of my name on here I have always argued that Lynch and Jackson should both be on the field. Now I know Freddy only had what? 75 yards rushing today? But this dude is a great all around football player. There were a few plays that I thought Freddy was down but he was able to get 5 or 6 more yards.

Then Beast Mode would come trotting on, get a pitch to the outside, and never cut up the field. I saw it twice with him today. And I don't even remember him out there much more than that (probably from the injury last week). He has been doing it all year long though. And I am FINALLY getting sick of it. He is arguably the most overrated back in the league. Argue "don't get rid of the pro bowl players" all you want. Watch the games. This dude is no pro bowl back.

So this is me finally saying leave Lynch on the bench. Sign another RB as a back-up.

P.S. Sorry for another Lynch/Jackson thread guys, I know it is getting to be like beating a dead horse. But those of you Beast Mode supporters will eventually see what many if the others on this board have been seeing all season long.

I think we would be much better off trading Lynch and picking up a solid RB in either FA (Willie Parker?) or a mid-round draft pick.

Marshawn's problem is that he thinks he's on dancing with the stars. He needs to hit the !@#$ing hole not prance around. If he'd just take that damn handoff and run straight ahead he'd gain twice as many yards. Perhaps if he ran smack into the back of the OL once in a while they'd be incentivised to open up some holes.

I'm starting to think that they should beef him up in the offseason and turn him into a FB.

I think we would be much better off trading Lynch and picking up a solid RB in either FA (Willie Parker?) or a mid-round draft pick.

You have a first rounder invested in Lynch, he is 23 years of age with a lot of years left in the NFL. Why would you trade him. He is a good back, having a rough year. Jackson is solid and is having a better year, yes. But the fact is, this line is the worst in the NFL, Jackson is pushing 30 and Lynch has plenty of years left at 23. If you trade Lynch, you will just have to get another RB in the Draft once Freddy is done in 2-3 years. I do not understand y everyone is hating on Lynch. After Every game we see the same F'in thread about how Lynch is horrible. NO ONE said Lynch was bad last year when he made the ProBowl. Everyone loved him and his toughness. Now we have the worst O-line in the league and Freddy is doing better with this horrible line and you want your 23 year old, first round draft selection, who has shown promise to be traded so you will eventually have to waste another draft pick on another running back (willis Mcgahee); it doesn't make any sense. Why not save that future draft pick for a good lineman to help this guy. Or maybe draft a good DE like Orakpo to help our pass rush. And anyways, you need two RB's in the NFL, so why not just use both of them? I am REALLY getting sick of all the Marshawn hate. The guy is a monster to bring down, get this guy a O-line before you sell him out of Buffalo.

Marshawn's problem is that he thinks he's on dancing with the stars. He needs to hit the !@#$ing hole not prance around. If he'd just take that damn handoff and run straight ahead he'd gain twice as many yards. Perhaps if he ran smack into the back of the OL once in a while they'd be incentivised to open up some holes.

I'm starting to think that they should beef him up in the offseason and turn him into a FB.

A $5 million/season FB. No thanks. Take a paycut or take a hike.

You have a first rounder invested in Lynch, he is 23 years of age with a lot of years left in the NFL. Why would you trade him. He is a good back, having a rough year. Jackson is solid and is having a better year, yes. But the fact is, this line is the worst in the NFL, Jackson is pushing 30 and Lynch has plenty of years left at 23. If you trade Lynch, you will just have to get another RB in the Draft once Freddy is done in 2-3 years. I do not understand y everyone is hating on Lynch. After Every game we see the same F'in thread about how Lynch is horrible. NO ONE said Lynch was bad last year when he made the ProBowl. Everyone loved him and his toughness. Now we have the worst O-line in the league and Freddy is doing better with this horrible line and you want your 23 year old, first round draft selection, who has shown promise to be traded so you will eventually have to waste another draft pick on another running back (willis Mcgahee); it doesn't make any sense. Why not save that future draft pick for a good lineman to help this guy. Or maybe draft a good DE like Orakpo to help our pass rush. And anyways, you need two RB's in the NFL, so why not just use both of them? I am REALLY getting sick of all the Marshawn hate. The guy is a monster to bring down, get this guy a O-line before you sell him out of Buffalo.

Right. Tough year. Which is why I said bench him this year rather than trade. However if you look at the way he is running. It has nothing to do with the OLine. You even brought up Jackson being able to do it. Marshawn refuses to make one cut and go. On tosses to the outside he never turns upfield. He dances in the hole. Those are not good signs for his future.

Fred Jackson gained more yards per carry than Lynch in each of the three seasons they've been on the team. Lynch isn't terrible. He's not some kind of warmed-over Jonathan Linton who deserves to be cut and forgotten about. But he's one more high draft pick that didn't live up to potential, and eventually lost his job to an undrafted backup.

We can only hope that what amounts to a benching will serve as a wake up call for Lynch. He has the talent but appears to have lost the hunger. Apparently his off the field problems have impacted him in ways that may not be fully understood. let's hope he uses the upcoming offseason to get his attitude right and to stay out of trouble. I chalk his current situation up to a delayed "sophmore slump" that he can pull out of if he is motivated to do so.

With that said, kudos to Fred Jackson as he is clearly the better back right now.

I said all this before the season started and everyone blasted me. I dont think he is overrated though! I havent heard many people talk about lynch at all this year. His days in the NFL are numbered.

Fred Jackson gained more yards per carry than Lynch in each of the three seasons they've been on the team. Lynch isn't terrible. He's not some kind of warmed-over Jonathan Linton who deserves to be cut and forgotten about. But he's one more high draft pick that didn't live up to potential, and eventually lost his job to an undrafted backup.

Typically though Mike on teams with two backs, the second guy almost always has more yards (with the exception of Peterson, he's just a freak). I think Marshawn's problem this year was the bulking up this off-season and the suspension. If we have a solid line next year and he loses like 5-10 pounds, I think both of them have a place. We cannot give up depth in one of the few spots we have it - IMO.

Jackson is going to be 29 in a couple of months....1 year away from the age a majority of RBs hit the wall.

every team needs two good backs......marshawns cap hit is $2.2 million...his actual cash to cap is only $812,000....he represents tremendous value.....i see the bills riding out his contract which has two more years on it. they can decide then if his productivity and behavior warrants resigning him. but for now it would be a mistake to cut him. i agree that freddy deserves more touches for the foreseeable future.

He doesnt have the typical NFL wear and tear like most...his path was a little different but overall good observation. He most likely has a good 2-3 years left.

i bet "slash n dash" jackson has 4 good years left in him. Ive been a huge fan of him since he made the team. That redskins game 2 years ago he just exploded. great player, great man. just thinking about the road he took to get here, how could anybody not be a fan of the man?

Lynch will never see a 2nd contract with the bills. If you could get a 3rd round pick for him I would have to say trade him in the offseason. Make Jackson the featured back & sign a backup in FA. Backs like Lynch are a dime a dozen. The best word to describe Lynch is ordinary.

Your arguement to keep Marshawn is right on; better to have two quality backs. BUT your apologist attitude towards least mode is a joke. Using your logic, Freddy should be having a bad year because of the worst o-line in the NFL. Instead he does very well when he is in there, as the starter. Least mode is a problem of the field and runs like he thinks he's Barry Sanders. He needs to run hard to and through the hole, not dance around them. So, keep 'em both. Let Freddy start and get 90% of the touches and bring in Marshawn when he needs a breath or gets hurt. Marshawn does have great upside (if he doesn't get banned) but is the second best back on this team today.

You guys are short a few brain cells after a game I suppose :rolleyes:

Just what I'd want to see, Marshawn Lynch as a Patriot behind a GOOD O line and getting 100+ yards against the Bills every time we play them...yeah, don't resign him or trade him.

Jackson was the hot player yesterday, no question. It was great to see him play so well.

I still like both players and when the O line finally gets healthy and more experience and is able to run block adequately, the Bills have thunder AND lighting again. You guys are forgetting Lynch's first year when he and Jackson both got 100+ yards rushing against the Dolphins 38-17 win.