Kelly: Move on from Edwards. Target Tebow. (linkage)

Lv-Bills

Are you saying that Tebow cannot throw the ball from the pocket?

You are entitled to your opinion, which is what you are posting here. Vince Young seems to be having a pretty good run. What do you consider him?

The NFL game is undergoing a change. Most teams are using some form of the wildcat. Remember, there was a time in the NFL the pass was all but considered a gimick. Sammy Baugh and Sid Luckman (and others) changed the texture of the game. I'm pretty sure there were similar discussions, then.

You don't think Tebow will make it as an NFL QB. Fine. You are entitled to your opinion. I and a lot of of others think Tebow will continue to have the same success in the NFL that he's had throughout his high school and college career.

What a load of bull ****. Are you really advocating spending a high pick on a player, even though you would have to completely revamp your personnel and coaches for that player to even have a shot at not being a bust? The only way you could put Tebow in, and not have to have him sit for 4-5 years to become a pro-style QB, would be to switch to a spread-option type offense. No offense in the NFL has the personnel to run that type of sheme. That would mean that you would have to draft your entire offense to fit one player's skill sets. Not to mention the spread-option isn't even guaranteed to work.

This is what you would have to do to get Tebow to be successful at QB:

A) sit him for 4-5 years while he learns to operate in a pro-style offense, and completely revamps his footwork and mechanics.

OR

1) spend a high pick on him

2) switch to a spread-option

3) fire all your coaches

4) hire spread-option coaches from the college game

5) draft players that fit the spread-option

6) hope that the player you did all this for isn't a bust.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if it changes a possible HC candidate's mind like Mike Shanahan, Brilliant.

Dude, you are so sensitive...a incoming head coach is isnt going to care 2 craps about a former player saying what everyone already knows...Kelly isnt even part of the organization for one...a future HC cares exactly ZERO percent about what you are whining about here...

This is what you would have to do to get Tebow to be successful at QB:

A) sit him for 4-5 years while he learns to operate in a pro-style offense, and completely revamps his footwork and mechanics.

OR

1) spend a high pick on him

2) switch to a spread-option

3) fire all your coaches

4) hire spread-option coaches from the college game

5) draft players that fit the spread-option

6) hope that the player you did all this for isn't a bust.

Wrong, you can simply run a power, run-first offense, like Pittsburgh or Denver (used to under Shanahan, ding ding ding!).

He could easily be the next Rothlisberger

Wrong, you can simply run a power, run-first offense, like Pittsburgh or Denver (used to under Shanahan, ding ding ding!).

He could easily be the next Rothlisberger

If you run a power offense, teams will simply stack the box. Tebow has a terribly slow release, and has below average accuracy... for a college QB. Please tell me how he is going to fare against NFL defenses if the average college QB is more accurate and has a much quicker release? Not to mention the fact that he has never played in a pro-style offense, and lining up under center 90% of the time will be completely foreign to him.

Guest dog14787
Dude, you are so sensitive...a incoming head coach is isnt going to care 2 craps about a former player saying what everyone already knows...Kelly isnt even part of the organization for one...a future HC cares exactly ZERO percent about what you are whining about here...

Dude your pathetic, I guess this article doesn't give the impression that I'm not the only one that feels this way now does it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...ellys-advances/

Your the one that needs to stop wasting folks time with all of your punk ass whining.

Consider these facts:

1)Shanahan, Homlgren, Martz and Trestman (all names being thrown around) have one thing in common - they were OCs for the SF 49ers. They are West Coast Offense guys - CALIFORNIA - Odds are great that if any of them comes to Buffalo he immediately names Edwards the starting QB

2) The "Experts" leading the "Oust Edwards move" are Fewell (0 years head coaching experience who knows squat about offense), TO (the ultimate "throw me the ball quarterback killer") and Jim Kelly (Buffalo's egomaniac voice whose is afraid of anyone succeeding at the QB position in Buffalo)

And people think Tebow is the answer??

Bottom line is that the Bills have a great nucleus of young skill players in Edwards, Jackson, Lynch, Evans, Hardy and Nelson. They have great depth at wide receiver, play solid defense and solid special teams. They have had 12 players go on the IR, changed OCs 1 week before the season, changed HC mid way through the season and have played with what might be the youngest OL in NFL history and certainly has to be the most banged up OL. Jim Kelly has the answer - throw Edwards under the bus and blame him for the entire 2009 debacle and draft Tim Tebow. Kelly wants to fuel the Buffalo mentality - "What might have been - What could be". How about if we deal with "What IS!"

Guest dog14787
Consider these facts:

1)Shanahan, Homlgren, Martz and Trestman (all names being thrown around) have one thing in common - they were OCs for the SF 49ers. They are West Coast Offense guys - CALIFORNIA - Odds are great that if any of them comes to Buffalo he immediately names Edwards the starting QB

2) The "Experts" leading the "Oust Edwards move" are Fewell (0 years head coaching experience who knows squat about offense), TO (the ultimate "throw me the ball quarterback killer") and Jim Kelly (Buffalo's egomaniac voice whose is afraid of anyone succeeding at the QB position in Buffalo)

Bottom line is that the Bills have a great nucleus of young skill players in Edwards, Jackson, Lynch, Evans, Hardy and Nelson. They have great depth at wide receiver, play solid defense and solid special teams. They have had 12 players go on the IR, changed OCs 1 week before the season, changed HC mid way through the season and have played with what might be the youngest OL in NFL history and certainly has to be the most banged up OL. Jim Kelly has the answer - throw Edwards under the bus and blame him for the entire 2009 debacle and draft Tim Tebow. Kelly wants to fuel the Buffalo mentality - "What might have been - What could be". How about if we deal with "What IS!"

RW could use your wisdom right about now buddy, good post and welcome to the board. :)

I do however prefer we keep Jimbo around because he is a big hero of mine,

Probably a big majority of the boards also...

Consider these facts:

hmmm...this is your second post (and both posts were in reply and support of a dog14787 post and full of as much gibberish as his)...weird, someone who just joined the board suddenly jumps on the dog14787 band wagon...lmao...pretty clear its you dog14787 supporting yourself and pretty lame you would have to do so...

Beside the point...please explain to the board how Edwards can be labeled a young skill player when he has shown very little skill to this point...the only coach that has said anything positive about Trent is Martz, and Martz also thought he could make a good QB out of Harrington in Det...how did that work out?

Guest dog14787
hmmm...this is your second post (and both posts were in reply and support of a dog14787 post and full of as much gibberish as his)...weird, someone who just joined the board suddenly jumps on the dog14787 band wagon...lmao...pretty clear its you dog14787 supporting yourself and pretty lame you would have to do so...

Beside the point...please explain to the board how Edwards can be labeled a young skill player when he has shown very little skill to this point...the only coach that has said anything positive about Trent is Martz, and Martz also thought he could make a good QB out of Harrington in Det...how did that work out?

You need help...

this is the mudslapping about Edwards that came from Kelly:

"I like Trent personally," Kelly told USA TODAY. "He works hard. But he's had three years. It's time to find somebody who is the future of the Buffalo Bills."

Man, what a monster. This has ruined any chance Trent has of a football career. Saying he likes trent and that he works hard. How dare does Kelly treat a player like "crap" and say such mean and horrible things?

1986 26 BUF QB 4-12-0 285 480 59.4 3593 22 17

1987 27 BUF QB 6-6-0 250 419 59.7 2798 19 11

1988 28 BUF QB 12-4-0 269 452 59.5 3380 15 17

1989 29 BUF QB 6-7-0 228 391 58.3 3130 25 18

2007 24 BUF QB 5-4-0 151 269 56.1 1630 7 8

2008 25 BUF QB 7-7-0 245 374 65.5 2699 11 10

2009 26 BUF QB 1-5-0 109 181 60.2 1170 6 7

Gee Jim your right Trent's been horrible his first three years compared to yours and he didn't have the benefit to play in the USFL a few years either. Personally I think Edwards is probably the best QB for this team next year. I just think we're not playing to his full strengths. I agree he'd probably play better in a WCO and if give him a quality TE through FA next year and a better O-line and he might be able to turn the corner. If not then toss him aside and give Brian Brohm a chance and/or draft a QB in Round 5-7 to serve as a backup/compete with Brohm as a developmental QB.

I have seen most of his games & I say HELL YEAH he will make it in the NFL. You can watch him Saturday as he beats up the Girls school from Fla. on his way to a THIRD National Title.

OT: The dirty little secret in college football is they beat up a lot of weak sisters from the poor all season (Charleston Southern et al.) and get a pass from the media. Utah was last year's natl. champion and another team (Boise State, Cincinnatti) is gonna get screwed this year. I hate the BCS.

Gee Jim your right Trent's been horrible his first three years compared to yours and he didn't have the benefit to play in the USFL a few years either. Personally I think Edwards is probably the best QB for this team next year. I just think we're not playing to his full strengths. I agree he'd probably play better in a WCO and if give him a quality TE through FA next year and a better O-line and he might be able to turn the corner. If not then toss him aside and give Brian Brohm a chance and/or draft a QB in Round 5-7 to serve as a backup/compete with Brohm as a developmental QB.

And-consider the fact that Trent is playing in his 7th year of football since high school and is working with his 5th head coach and 6th offensive coordinator! And he just turned 26 three weeks ago!!