Are we not even L O O K I N G for a G M?

TheChimp

I think what you're missing, my dear primate, is that Shanny and Cowher could potentially act as both GM and coach.

Yes. The only way we can draw abig name is by giving them the keys and the check book

But why the hell do we want that? Didn't both of them SUCK when they had both jobs?

Also yes. A GM/HC combo rarely works. You need somebody to bounce off of. When a HC is also the GM no one is going to disagree with you or look at things differently.

I am in favor of hiring a GM first. Polian's kid or Randy Mueller, the UFL commish who was the Saints GM, and who put together their current team. The problem for some Bills fans is that will mean we don't get a marquis coach. And that's sad...because history says SB winning coaches do not do well in later jobs, yet that is what fans want to feel better about all this.

I can see Mueller bringing in the cream of the UFL. The Bills don't need famous coaches, they need good management, good talent, good coaching, and a hunger to be the best.

PTR

All this talk of a coach, but nothing about how old Ralphie promised a top-down cleaning and sorry, if we hire a coach FIRST, does that not HURT our chances to nab a really smart GM??

I believe Shanahan would bring his own staff. I think those coaches that have "total control" also bring in a personnel guy to handle much of the work that the coach can not do. I think all it means is that Shanahan would have final say on the players.

All this talk of a coach, but nothing about how old Ralphie promised a top-down cleaning and sorry, if we hire a coach FIRST, does that not HURT our chances to nab a really smart GM??

The problem is that it's in the middle of the season. A GM is going to want to bring in his own HC and staff, and most likely some of them are under contract with other teams. The same with any HC candidates. That's why I think the team is doing a lot of looking and talking to potential candidates, but won't really be able to do anything until after the season.

And if it's true that Ralph is really as ticked off as reported, then the whole organization is being evaluated from top to bottom. If that's true then there definitely won't be any movement until after the season.

Radio report said Cowhead refused a Bills interview

Cowher is refusing any interviews until after the season. That doesn't mean to say he will refuse an interview then. There's typical 'spin' being put on this, to make it sound worse than it is.

It's one of those 'out of respect for CBS, his current employers' he will not take any interviews until after the season has ended.

These 'reports' are getting plenty of 'airplay' in various Bills forums, and they are commonly being misinterpreted.

Imho, the good thing, is that the Bills have actually made some contact with him. Until such time as a new GM, Coach, is actually named, or Cowher formally rules himself out, I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to write him off completely.

Yes. The only way we can draw abig name is by giving them the keys and the check book

Also yes. A GM/HC combo rarely works. You need somebody to bounce off of. When a HC is also the GM no one is going to disagree with you or look at things differently.

I am in favor of hiring a GM first. Polian's kid or Randy Mueller, the UFL commish who was the Saints GM, and who put together their current team. The problem for some Bills fans is that will mean we don't get a marquis coach. And that's sad...because history says SB winning coaches do not do well in later jobs, yet that is what fans want to feel better about all this.

I can see Mueller bringing in the cream of the UFL. The Bills don't need famous coaches, they need good management, good talent, good coaching, and a hunger to be the best.

PTR

It is easy to be attracted to some coaches that have had a winning record and I'd really like to see Marty Schottenheimer come to Buffalo, but I agree that you need a GM. I am not sure that Shanahan without a GM is a good thing. At this point I think the Bills need a good GM who will be committed to bringing in a quality coach and Ralph needs to be ready to shell out top dollar to get both of them.

Yes, this is my fear.

Shanahan has expressed an interest for the dual GM/ coach role. Cowher, in the article from LaConfora at the NFL states that Cowher does NOT want GM duties.

Personally, and ego aside, I think that the dual role is too much for any of them to handle well. One will suffer at the expense of the other.

That being said, I would be pursuing a top flight GM that has proven himself capable of building a winner than choosing the coach first. Some GM's will not choose a club if they cannot select their own coach, etc.

If we get a coach first, it will limit our ability to land a real GM.

I don't think they are looking, they (Ralph) is convinced that Brandon is the guy that is going to take us to the promise land-what a joke. He is actually more of the problem than Juaron was in my opinion. You can hire a good or great coach, but unless he has the talent, he can't win. Like the old saying goes, you can polish a turd but it is still a turd.

The only credit I will give to the Bills in this issue, is that by starting off when the names at the top of the list, who have expressed interest in both coaching and GM roles, is that you may be able to attract them straight away.

If the top names all turn down the Bills lets say, then I would assume that the next step would be to pursue a football GM who will select his own staff.

This may just be a process at this point and may evolve into a search for a GM depending on what Shanahan does.

I believe Shanahan would bring his own staff. I think those coaches that have "total control" also bring in a personnel guy to handle much of the work that the coach can not do. I think all it means is that Shanahan would have final say on the players.

If that is accurate, that only means that he isn't coming here. Ralph won't relinquish that control. He has only ever named one President of Operations and that failed miserably.

I have a feeling that if they don't come to an agreement with a big name soon (Shanahan, Holmgren, etc), then the search will go into the off-season where Ralph will probably start with the GM.

My guess is that Russ convinced Ralph that a big-name coach would bring the fans back, combined with Ralph's realization that he might as well empty his pockets to get a legitimate coaching candidate to consider Buffalo.

Shanahan could very well be looking for the GM job. It seems pretty likely that Fisher will be the next coach.

Oddly winning all these games with VY is probably the last straw fro Adams. Fisher fought the change tooth and nail. Now the Titans are winning. This is making Fisher look stupid.

Despite his bird flipping anti-Ralph antics, Adams may be even more angry with Fisher than he is with Wilson. Once he cuts Fisher loose. Shanny and Ralph will pounce. Shanny many even be announced as coach to make us look innocent, but he is GM.

From everything I've read, too many sources to provide links, I billeve thay are looking for a "football guy" to oversee the overhaul and place him in a position similar to the Big Tuna in Miami...sort of a "go between" Ralph/Russ and a new GM & Coaching staff. :wallbash:

As usual, Ralphie is going about his "clean-up" ass-backwards.

They need the football mind first and that sure isn't Brandon. So until Russ is gone, along with the rest of the FO monkeys, it is pointless to talk about a coach, who is about the 10th consideration. Once the GM/President of Football operations is found, then the real hiring begins.

Problem is, if Ralph cleaned out the stable, he (and his buddy Marv} would be the one left finding the football mind and how do you think that would go?

Coach-talk is wildly pre-mature.