Why the Bills are attractive for a Big Name Coach

phillyrich

My reasons as to why the Buffalo Bills vacancy is attractive to a Big Name Coach:

1.) The Dan Snyder / Jerry Jones Effect. Or in the Bills case, a clear, clear lack there of. No Billio-(idiot)-naire meddling in any football decisionmaking. Outside of course "Mr Shanahan, to sign these coaches and players how much money do you need????? OK done"

2.) Potential top 5 draft pick, two in the top 38. The Big Name football guy can start the rebuild/retool/reignite process with those two picks. Can you say Jevan Snead or Jimmy Clausen with the top 5 pick as our Qb for the next 10 - 15 years.

3.) The current roster, although not much, is not completely devoid of talent.

4.) Total football control/autonomy/monopoly/dictatorship what have you.

5.) Mini Me Media as compared to the much larger fish bowl city Media folks.

6.) Between $8 - $10M per year paid for by our lovely northern neighbor friends in Canada.

My reasons as to why the Buffalo Bills vacancy is attractive to a Big Name Coach:

1.) The Dan Snyder / Jerry Jones Effect. Or in the Bills case, a clear, clear lack there of. No Billio-(idiot)-naire meddling in any football decisionmaking. Outside of course "Mr Shanahan, to sign these coaches and players how much money do you need????? OK done"

2.) Potential top 5 draft pick, two in the top 38. The Big Name football guy can start the rebuild/retool/reignite process with those two picks. Can you say Jevan Snead or Jimmy Clausen with the top 5 pick as our Qb for the next 10 - 15 years.

6.) Between $8 - $10M per year paid for by our lovely northern neighbor friends in Canada.

Have to disagree with a couple of these

1. Ralph Wilson is the same thing

2. we will not have a top 5 pick it'll be 7-10 range..unless we go on a winning streak and end up 10-15

3. I agree here there is some talent, although not much, to work with

4. Prolly...who knows if it will work GM/HC's usually don't work that well...i.e. Holmgren and Seattle

5. I don't know if I'd consider that a positive thing.

6. where are you getting that number from, and what makes you think Ralph will pay that much? Just because Ralph may or may not have actually said he's going to break the bank doesnt mean he's going to go nuts. He might not want to pay more than 6 mil a year..who knows, that'd be a rather large amount for what he usually pays HC's

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

There will only be about 6 of these jobs available in the next 3 months. Get one while you can.

I do think Ralph will compete to get a good one. He has no time to waste.

Personally I think the talent level is playoff talent. Shanahan could probably get 10 wins from these guys. JMO

Have to disagree with a couple of these

1. Ralph Wilson is the same thing

2. we will not have a top 5 pick it'll be 7-10 range..unless we go on a winning streak and end up 10-15

3. I agree here there is some talent, although not much, to work with

4. Prolly...who knows if it will work GM/HC's usually don't work that well...i.e. Holmgren and Seattle

5. I don't know if I'd consider that a positive thing.

6. where are you getting that number from, and what makes you think Ralph will pay that much? Just because Ralph may or may not have actually said he's going to break the bank doesnt mean he's going to go nuts. He might not want to pay more than 6 mil a year..who knows, that'd be a rather large amount for what he usually pays HC's

That would be a great trick!!!

They are chiefly attractive because with the uncertainty that swirls around the fate of the franchise, a canny big name could come in, promise the moon, and not care a whit if he got axed while strolling off with a tidy bundle.

Any new ownership would likely clear the table and install staff of their choosing.

Personally I think the talent level is playoff talent. Shanahan could probably get 10 wins from these guys. JMO

That would be a great trick!!!

really with all the horrible teams this year you don't think we can win enough games to end up with a pick between #10 and #15...i can see it happening

Telling Wade to start RJ in the playoff game and telling Mularkey to start JP don't count? Ralph's not quite as bad as Jerry and Jerry Jr., but make no mistake, he is a meddler.

This could be the most lame post of the month. Aren't you the guy who predicted the Bills would win 10 games this season? :lol:

The Bills are attractive ONLY if Ralph is willing to give up control of the organization and pay up. If Ralph can match an offer from a guy like Jerry Jones then money is out of the question, also you get a smaller less pressure packed media.

Also you need Ralph to be willing to give up control. If Ralph is willing to hand over the keys and give up full control, that might set him apart further from the Snyders and Joneses of the world. So if you can get the same dollar amount to work in a smaller market and have more control in an organization then it wouldn't be such a bad option.

With all that being said I doubt that Ralph is willing to match dollar for dollar what a Snyder or a Jones is willing to offer. I also doubt that Ralph is willing to give up total control of his organization. So I think a Russ Grimm is a much better and more realistic option for the Bills right now.

The Bills are NOT attractive to any big name coach. You can upgrade the organization but the city is still a big turn-off to free agents. No matter who is coach you would be fighting that. The Bills would have to transform into a Pats*-like organization to overcome that stigma.

PTR

The Bills are NOT attractive to any big name coach. You can upgrade the organization but the city is still a big turn-off to free agents. No matter who is coach you would be fighting that. The Bills would have to transform into a Pats*-like organization to overcome that stigma.

PTR

Not according to Rueben Brown. He said players want to go where they are WANTED, where they know the Coach & how the Coach plans on playing them. He said the City did not matter at all.

PTR

Very good point But the only thing I would say is that a big name coach usually has a big enough ego to think he could turn the Bills into a winner and an attractive option

For folks who think that my topic is lame, that is fine. To each his/her own. I have become a big fan of this site because of the overall knowledge of fans who have the courage to share their thoughts and opinions. I think the knowledge level of football is quite high, BTW.

Am I the guy who predictaed 10 wins this year. Well, prior to the season, I did yes. If we had anywhere close to a decent coaching staff, we should at the very leat be half way home to that right now - 5-4 vs 3-6. a half way decent coach would have won us the Pat's game and the Browns game. Anyway, I new we were done when the Bills offense could not score a TD on the New Orleans Defense (at home mind you).

One of my reasons for why the Bills are attractive is because of Lack there of for the Dan Snyder/Jerry Jones effect. That was only opinion of mine at the time I wrote this topic. However, although only a rumor, it appears that this opinion is now shared by other folks as well (I think you will be happy with what you read):

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/news/

PTR

Agreed.

I'm not sure it's the city per se, but the lack of media focus, the questionable level of owner involvement (with required bi-weekly football strategy calls with a 91-year-old owner), the pattern of "on-the-cheap" front office hires (from assistant coaches to pro personnel execs), and an apparent minimum 2-3 year gap until an opportunity for a serious playoff run, etc.

There would have to be a heck of lot of $$ and a complete return to "hands-off" Donohoe-era approach - which Uncle Ralph doesn't look back on fondly. Possible, but not a slam-dunk.

On the upside, ego stroking will be plentiful as the entire community will deify you - ensuring free chicken wings and beer at any local restaurant for a least your first 6 months in town - and the situation is so awful that the only way to go is up.

Gun to my head, a leading candidate will be someone with pre-existing ties/connections to the area or the team ... for instance, Jim Haslett.