Lombardi has the right idea

bananathumb

Heard Mike Lombardi on GR this morning (the substance is in his article today in nationalfootballpost.com).

He sees the need to build a team around Buffalo's weather, cold and windy. Similar to Pittsburgh's. Therefore, you axe Brandon, hire a football guy who starts with this tough guy philosophy, brings in a front office and scouts who start looking for

a, a QB whose throws "cut through the wind"

b, dominant lines

c, big linebackers

In short, you need a BIG team. Not the small, fast Tampa 2 types like Whitner who are always injured.

Once you have your organization set up to start the player search (and cutting of our current small guys), then you hire a coach who is on board with and used to working with big boys. Suddenly, the Bills have an identity.

Unfortunately, the ideal guy to start with is up in the booth in Miami. We can't get him, but Cowher and others who have this philosophy are out there. Until you get that guy, things will remain the same: Tampa philosphy in Buffalo weather.

Lombardi is available, too.

I like the idea. Parcells has said that Buffalo is the ideal location for football. Would Parcells ever leave Miami? Just for giggles, does anyone know the terms of Parcells contract in Miami?

thanks for taking the time to post this.....not everyone has the schedule to hear all this at all various times........i agree its been said before, BUT, i think your point was it was just said by some national expert again this morning on the radio.....and that is valuable to know and love that you took the time to post the info.......this site is great because of all the real info we get, not necessarily the personal opinions.......

maybe its the holiday spirit or something......but we should be more thankful to those that take the time to report what the experts out there are saying.......OBD doesn't do this for us......

Heard Mike Lombardi on GR this morning (the substance is in his article today in nationalfootballpost.com).

He sees the need to build a team around Buffalo's weather, cold and windy. Similar to Pittsburgh's. Therefore, you axe Brandon, hire a football guy who starts with this tough guy philosophy, brings in a front office and scouts who start looking for

b, dominant lines

c, big linebackers

In short, you need a BIG team. Not the small, fast Tampa 2 types like Whitner who are always injured.

Once you have your organization set up to start the player search (and cutting of our current small guys), then you hire a coach who is on board with and used to working with big boys. Suddenly, the Bills have an identity.

Unfortunately, the ideal guy to start with is up in the booth in Miami. We can't get him, but Cowher and others who have this philosophy are out there. Until you get that guy, things will remain the same: Tampa philosphy in Buffalo weather.

Yeah, I didn't even consider the weather and its effects on an undersized defense predicated on speed. Especially when playing in the elements and the traction on the field does not allow for speed.

I think the time is now for Ralph to strike. Sully's article in today's News is right in that aspect. I'm not as concerned about the head coach AS LONG AS the GM that is hopefully hired to head the football operation does the hiring and is someone that knows what he is doing.

Brandon can move back to marketing and the business side.

b, dominant lines

c, big linebackers

What a novel idea, build from the lines out, a tough front-7, and a decent QB.

:rolleyes:

I can remember a team built like that once. Of course its architect was fired by Wilson and left to produce 10 playoff seasons in 15 years, headed for 11 in 16 this year, with other teams.

He's a shrewd one that Wilson! No sneaking anything past him. That's why he's in the Hall of Fame and makes the big bucks.

b, dominant lines

c, big linebackers

Does Mike Lombardi realize that the Bills only play half their games in Buffalo? What are the fat tubby lineman going to do when they have to play in Florida and Texas and other points south in Sept. and Oct. ?

It's almost thankgiving. HAs "the Buffalo weather" been a factor in any game this year so far? How about last year---was "the Buffalo weather" the cause of our second half collapse?

Come on! Has any team ever built itself around the local weather?? Boston, Pitts, Cleveland, Chicago--all with cold/windy/snowy weather in the winter.

Better lines and better linebackers, sure---that would be an advantage for any team.

It's almost thankgiving. HAs "the Buffalo weather" been a factor in any game this year so far? How about last year---was "the Buffalo weather" the cause of our second half collapse?

Come on! Has any team ever built itself around the local weather?? Boston, Pitts, Cleveland, Chicago--all with cold/windy/snowy weather in the winter.

Better lines and better linebackers, sure---that would be an advantage for any team.

I think the point is that it helps late in the season - December/January. Bills fans are numb to this because the Bills have played hardly any meaningful games past Thanksgiving in the past decade.

Nothing anyone here has not said over the years.

True...

So you have to wonder why the heck we've had Coaches and Pro Personnel guys over the past 10 years who don't seem to understand it...It's one thing to build a diverse Offense in Buffalo around a Hall Of Fame QB...Any average Coach or FO can do that...But I'm pretty sure there are no Kelly's on the horizon...That being said running the ball and stopping the run should be the easy way to build a winner in WNY...It seems logical right? It's about time we had some Folks employed at OBD that can understand this type of logic...Build a Cold weather Team...A STRONG, TOUGH cold weather Team then hope we get a QB in the next couple Years that puts us over the top... :rolleyes:

Does Mike Lombardi realize that the Bills only play half their games in Buffalo? What are the fat tubby lineman going to do when they have to play in Florida and Texas and other points south in Sept. and Oct. ?

If they build a tough minded hard nosed Team that runs the ball well and stops the run they will win on the road too...And if you win at Home you don't have to do as well on the Road to get into the Playoffs...Go 6-2 at Home and .500 on the Road gets you to 10-6...It's not rocket science...It's call Home Field advantage to Teams that actually understand the concept... :rolleyes:

Build a team around the weather? STupid idea. The Bills have sucked for the past decade not because they cant play in the weather. Its because they dont have the players.

New England has had the most success of any franchise in the past decade, built primarily on a pass first finesse offense. The opposite of Pittsburgh..... and NE seems to do ok.

If they build a tough minded hard nosed Team that runs the ball well and stops the run they will win on the road too...And if you win at Home you don't have to do as well on the Road to get into the Playoffs...Go 6-2 at Home and .500 on the Road gets you to 10-6...It's not rocket science...It's call Home Field advantage to Teams that actually understand the concept... :rolleyes:

Right...and 10-6 isn't going to get you HF through the playoffs.

Build a team around the weather? STupid idea. The Bills have sucked for the past decade not because they cant play in the weather. Its because they dont have the players.

New England has had the most success of any franchise in the past decade, built primarily on a pass first finesse offense. The opposite of Pittsburgh..... and NE seems to do ok.

Sure they are...But Tom Brady and Matt Cassel (for one Season) had a TON to do with that...If the Bills choose that route they better be able to find a QB who can get the job done...What I think you and anyone else who does not underrstand this "weather" theory is missing is the fact that it's easier to start building this way (run and stop the run) and grow and expand the Offense when, and only when, you have a QB that can get the Job done...

And for the record there is a chance that Tom Brady will be considered the greatest QB in the History of the NFL by the time his career is over...I know Cassel got them to 11 Wins but that was one Season...Kinda hard to throw NE out there as a model example for a cold weather Team...Unless of coarse you're pretty sure the next Belichick and Brady are on the way to WNY...Sure it's possible, but why not build the safe way while you're finding that out? :rolleyes:

Right...and 10-6 isn't going to get you HF through the playoffs.

OK then, go 8-0 at Home...Or 7-1 at Home and 5-3 on the Road... :lol:

One step at a time...For God's sake we have not been to the Playoffs in a decade and you're worried about Home Field?...Baby steps... :rolleyes:

OK then, go 8-0 at Home...Or 7-1 at Home and 5-3 on the Road... :lol:

One step at a time...For God's sake we have not been to the Playoffs in a decade and you're worried about Home Field?...Baby steps... :rolleyes:

uummmmm...no...I am not worried about the playoffs at all...you were the one that brought home field during the playoffs.

Heck..I am just happy with a team that is competitive.

Sure they are...But Tom Brady and Matt Cassel (for one Season) had a TON to do with that...If the Bills choose that route they better be able to find a QB who can get the job done...What I think you and anyone else who does not underrstand this "weather" theory is missing is the fact that it's easier to start building this way (run and stop the run) and grow and expand the Offense when, and only when, you have a QB that can get the Job done...

And for the record there is a chance that Tom Brady will be considered the greatest QB in the History of the NFL by the time his career is over...I know Cassel got them to 11 Wins but that was one Season...Kinda hard to throw NE out there as a model example for a cold weather Team...Unless of coarse you're pretty sure the next Belichick and Brady are on the way to WNY...Sure it's possible, but why not build the safe way while you're finding that out? :rolleyes:

Im fully capable of understanding. Great rebuttal with the NE example. We can consider other "cold weather" teams too, but youre also using Pitt as an example, who have had an outstanding defense and O line.

The 90's packers won a few super bowls throwing the ball quite a bit--- yes they had favre

The 90's bills werent exactly a smashmouth team--yes they had HOFs

It doesnt really get Cold until the last quarter or half of the season, so you are talking 2-4 games at home in the cold for the regular season.

For any of you who have actually played the game, you know that the cold isn't as big of a deal as it is to the fans. Yes it can sometimes make playing miserable, but building a whole team around the weather....is absurd, which is why teams dont do it. Its about philosophy. Pitt runs the ball bc they like to, not bc it gets a little chilly in december. I mean really....

b, dominant lines

c, big linebackers

Agreed. we need a bigger team, esp on D. But tampa 2 really only means faster guys and a MLB playinga little deeper in coverage to cover the hole between the safeties. Nothing to do with weather. Many other cold weather teams run this scheme just fine.

ok take those 8 games and then add 1 game against the Jets in cold NY/NJ and then add another game against NE in a cold weather state (course this is assuming we go to those venues in the second half of the season)...but to answer your question, the same damn thing other good teams with big lines do when they play in warm/hot weather...no one said for the Bills to search the land for 400+ lbs linemen, just maybe bigger than 119 lb. olb's...I wonder if the new DC is going to want to switch to the 3-4 like all the other teams have done the past 1-2 seasons...

Im fully capable of understanding. Great rebuttal with the NE example. We can consider other "cold weather" teams too, but youre also using Pitt as an example, who have had an outstanding defense and O line.

The 90's packers won a few super bowls throwing the ball quite a bit--- yes they had favre

The 90's bills werent exactly a smashmouth team--yes they had HOFs

It doesnt really get Cold until the last quarter or half of the season, so you are talking 2-4 games at home in the cold for the regular season.

For any of you who have actually played the game, you know that the cold isn't as big of a deal as it is to the fans. Yes it can sometimes make playing miserable, but building a whole team around the weather....is absurd, which is why teams dont do it. Its about philosophy. Pitt runs the ball bc they like to, not bc it gets a little chilly in december. I mean really....

I totally agree that it's WAY more about philosophy and attitude and WAY less about weather in itself...But the two can go hand and hand much more logically in Buffalo NY...It's not just about the cold at all, if it was then the argument is a dumb one...It's the wind mainly, mixed with the rain, snow, whatever...But without the wind it would not be nearly as big an issue...Run the Ball, stop the Run and play tough, hard-nosed Football...That's really all I've been trying to say for Years now...I miss the days when opposing HC's comment that The Bills are one of the most physical Teams in the NFL...I want those days to return... :rolleyes: