The Ironic Thing About Today's Firing

JDG

The ironic thing is that Jauron has just been fired after probably his 2nd best coaching performance of the season. (Behind the Patriots game.)

Consider that the Bills' achilles heel all season has been rushing defense. This week, they were playing on the road, against a hot Titans team featuring both the best RB in the League, Chris Johnson, and the best running QB in the League, Vince Young. Oh yes, and they were doing this without arguably their best defensive tackle in Kyle Williams (and so left with only a three-man rotation at the position), a starting outside linebacker who had been out of football for the first five weeks of the season, and starting a *safety* at the other outside linebacker slot. Oh yes, and their two best players in the secondary, McGee and Whitner, were also out for the game (hey, Byrd is great - but he doesn't support the run defense like Whitner does.)

On the offensive side of the ball, the Bills were starting their fourth-string right tackle (and that's not even counting Langston Walker - who arguably makes Chambers 5th string), and in the first half they lost their starting left tackle, and had to shift a rookie guard to left tackle, who hadn't practiced at that position since college, and bring in a backup guard who had hardly played all year.

All that, and the Bills were tied after three quarters - and apparently that will cost you your job in Buffalo these days.

I still can't figure out how this team benefits in any way, shape, or form, to pay Dick Jauron to not coach the final string of 7 games in his tenure in Buffalo. We all like to laugh at the Redskins for being run by a fan from the owner's box - Dan Snyder, but it looks to me like the Bills are being run by a "fan" too. It makes you wonder if maybe there wasn't a "fan" longing for a return to the glory days of the "No Huddle Offense" this past off-season.... and if maybe there wasn't a "fan" that was pushing Jauron for a QB change on Monday as well....

JDG

The ironic thing is that Jauron has just been fired after probably his 2nd best coaching performance of the season. (Behind the Patriots game.)

Consider that the Bills' achilles heel all season has been rushing defense. This week, they were playing on the road, against a hot Titans team featuring both the best RB in the League, Chris Johnson, and the best running QB in the League, Vince Young. Oh yes, and they were doing this without arguably their best defensive tackle in Kyle Williams (and so left with only a three-man rotation at the position), a starting outside linebacker who had been out of football for the first five weeks of the season, and starting a *safety* at the other outside linebacker slot. Oh yes, and their two best players in the secondary, McGee and Whitner, were also out for the game (hey, Byrd is great - but he doesn't support the run defense like Whitner does.)

On the offensive side of the ball, the Bills were starting their fourth-string right tackle (and that's not even counting Langston Walker - who arguably makes Chambers 5th string), and in the first half they lost their starting left tackle, and had to shift a rookie guard to left tackle, who hadn't practiced at that position since college, and bring in a backup guard who had hardly played all year.

All that, and the Bills were tied after three quarters - and apparently that will cost you your job in Buffalo these days.

I still can't figure out how this team benefits in any way, shape, or form, to pay Dick Jauron to not coach the final string of 7 games in his tenure in Buffalo. We all like to laugh at the Redskins for being run by a fan from the owner's box - Dan Snyder, but it looks to me like the Bills are being run by a "fan" too. It makes you wonder if maybe there wasn't a "fan" longing for a return to the glory days of the "No Huddle Offense" this past off-season.... and if maybe there wasn't a "fan" that was pushing Jauron for a QB change on Monday as well....

JDG

i could split hairs here, but if you consider sunday his 2nd best, where he essentially gave up on his defense and in turn the rest of the team, then it says enough for him to been fired. Any good coach would have that be his 2nd worst performance in a season.

JDG

Great post, makes a lot of sense. Very rational.

Unfortunately, this team is such a mess that rationality has to take a back seat to ... well, just about anything resembling a pulse. It had to happen, even if it's not going to pay immediate dividends.

At least now we have something to look forward to.

i could split hairs here, but if you consider sunday his 2nd best, where he essentially gave up on his defense and in turn the rest of the team, then it says enough for him to been fired. Any good coach would have that be his 2nd worst performance in a season.

Don't think anyone is arguing with that. The timing is indeed a head-scratcher though.

Don't think anyone is arguing with that. The timing is indeed a head-scratcher though.

In teaching they give you a chance to pick when you get observed, with what class (at many schools). Thus you are judged in an "ideal" setting with extra preparation and emphasis towards your best performance. Ralph may have done something similar here, "Dick you are being judged on how your team does against a 2-6 team with 2 weeks of preparation."

If I !@#$ed up as bad as Dick did on Sunday and did not generate the desired result, then I'd be fired by the end of the school year, if not immediately

JDG

Interesting that you're only assessing the team on three quarters of play rather than a disastrous--indeed, comically inept--fourth quarter performance. I wouldn't be surprised if Jauron had a winning record as a head coach overall (Bills and Bears) if you only used the end-of-the-third-quarter scores of of all the games he coached in.

Interesting that you're only assessing the team on three quarters of play rather than a disastrous--indeed, comically inept--fourth quarter performance. I wouldn't be surprised if Jauron had a winning record as a head coach overall (Bills and Bears) if you only used the end-of-the-third-quarter scores of of all the games he coached in.

It's amazing to me how people attempt to explain away failure. There's always another excuse, or reason for not reaching a desired objective. For Jauron, it was injuries, youth, you name it, fans had something ready.

The man never had a decent offense in 9+ seasons of being a HC. He never won a playoff game and had 1 winning season. I'd argue that one miracle season he had was the result of those fourth quarters having so many breaks. All I can remember is Mike Brown returning turnovers for TD's.

It's amazing to me how people attempt to explain away failure. There's always another excuse, or reason for not reaching a desired objective. For Jauron, it was injuries, youth, you name it, fans had something ready.

The man never had a decent offense in 9+ seasons of being a HC. He never won a playoff game and had 1 winning season. I'd argue that one miracle season he had was the result of those fourth quarters having so many breaks. All I can remember is Mike Brown returning turnovers for TD's.

I find it amazing that the OP is too confusing for people to understand :unsure:

Nobody is saying he doesn't suck. The point being made is why the Tennessee game would elicit more of a reaction than the Saints, Dolphins, Browns, or Texans games. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

In teaching they give you a chance to pick when you get observed, with what class (at many schools). Thus you are judged in an "ideal" setting with extra preparation and emphasis towards your best performance. Ralph may have done something similar here, "Dick you are being judged on how your team does against a 2-6 team with 2 weeks of preparation."

If I !@#$ed up as bad as Dick did on Sunday and did not generate the desired result, then I'd be fired by the end of the school year, if not immediately

This doesn't make much sense either - but neither does Ralph - so it seem like a good a guess as any.

I find it amazing that the OP is too confusing for people to understand :unsure:

Nobody is saying he doesn't suck. The point being made is why the Tennessee game would elicit more of a reaction than the Saints, Dolphins, Browns, or Texans games. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

This doesn't make much sense either - but neither does Ralph - so it seem like a good a guess as any.

I think Wilson held out some hope that the Bills could right the ship after the bye week. They didn't. It was more of the same. Hence the firing.

I don't think the OP is saying "DJ sucked" but rather attempts to show that he had little to work with. Sure, that's fine, but this franchise relied heavily on DJ, at least from 06-08, for personnel guidance. Modrak and Guy were providing intel on players, but didn't make decisions. Brandon and Levy counted on DJ to make that roster. The end result featured a team which was small (resulting in more injuries) and not very talented with no game-breakers. Think about this for a moment: the Bills started two street free agents at LB this week: Draft and Scott. Which teams do that?

Yes, it's strange the guy was let go today, being that it's Tuesday and after a bye. I won't argue that at all, but merely refrain from citing injuries on a team probably close to hand-picked (not incl. TO) by the former HC. RW just marches to the beat of a different drummer and he's 91.

JDG

whaaaaat?

"All that and the Bills were tied...and...that will cost you your job?".

The Titans game was a symptom of the problem. Using another game from this weekend, if the pats fired belichick for the 4th and 2 play, it'd be fair to say that. Jauron was fired because in the 4th year of his contract, he's overseeing a team that is very difficult to watch, very difficult to get excited about, and loses with alarming regularity. Consider:

1. Year 4, 4 losing seasons.

2. I can't recall a game where they didn't lose ugly this year. McKelvin, Parrish miscues, the loss to the Titans, blown out in the 4th.

3. The offensive line plan would have been fine if it hadn't ultimately sucked something awful. Blame Trent all you want (I say this generically, I am not suggesting you personally have blamed him) but we don't run block consistently well, we don't pass block consistently well, and we consistently struggle to put points on the board against team that aren't necessarily world beaters. When your offense is revamped, and then your offense is horrid, and you're in year 4 of the contract, you have to, as they say in Goodfellas "Answer for Billy Batts".

4. TO is brought in and has done little to help us win.

I think in the end, the natives just got restless. I want ANY coach of our team to win and make us competitive. i don't care if he smiles or yells on the sidelines, I just want him to win. Now, when he loses, certainly his style gets criticized.

Jauron was fired for 48 months of not getting it done. Not all his fault to be sure, but did you feel hope for the end of this season or next?

By the way, I thought the Bill's achilles heel was offense. We had NO on the ropes defensively for way longer than we had a right to expect, barely scraped by the Jets when Sanchez had a horrible day, lost to Cleveland 6-to-frigging-3 and...God, make it stop.

i remember them losing 41-17...

Am I crazy? :unsure:

Cute... but the point is trying to evaluate Dick Jauron's preparation for the game and overall coaching, not whether Trent Edwards and Fitzpatrick/Owens can toss two INT's returned for TDs at the end of the game.

Again, as others noted - Jauron was toast at the end of the season anyways. If the point of not firing him after, say, the Cleveland game (yes we lost two middle linebackers in that game to go down to our fourth string - but that was Cleveland at home, not the Titans on the road) was to see if the Bills would show any signs of life after the bye week, then I would argue that yes, we did show some signs of life and hope after the bye week - but a combination of way above-average injuries and some bad breaks caused the game to end up in the loss column, so seems odd to fire the Coach two days later after *that* game.

JDG

Cute... but the point is trying to evaluate Dick Jauron's preparation for the game and overall coaching, not whether Trent Edwards and Fitzpatrick/Owens can toss two INT's returned for TDs at the end of the game.

Again, as others noted - Jauron was toast at the end of the season anyways. If the point of not firing him after, say, the Cleveland game (yes we lost two middle linebackers in that game to go down to our fourth string - but that was Cleveland at home, not the Titans on the road) was to see if the Bills would show any signs of life after the bye week, then I would argue that yes, we did show some signs of life and hope after the bye week - but a combination of way above-average injuries and some bad breaks caused the game to end up in the loss column, so seems odd to fire the Coach two days later after *that* game.

JDG

If the sign of life you're looking for is the one where he again elects to keep a loss respectable, such as conceding a 51-yd FG try instead of trusting his D to make a stop, then yes that sign of life was surely evident.

It was more odd timing to let Juaron coach this team in '09, so to me firing him at any point of the season wouldn't be as odd

It's only a head scratcher in how it didn't happen about a year ago...or earlier.

I don't know if it's funnier that we posted the same thing at the same time, or that as I was typing, on TV Belushi just smashed Stephen Bishop's guitar.

Read it and weep.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009101810/2...titans@patriots

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009111506/2...10/bills@titans

If Jauron had promised to "turn it around" in 3 to 4 years and be a championship contending team (see Matt Bowen below), that game Sunday nailed his coffin shut.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Jauron...s-as-usual.html

JDG

I'm sorry but if you watched that game and came away with "the Bills showed me something positive" then we must have watched completely different games. I saw a team that was underprepared and unmotivated. They made alot of mental mistakes, were consistently out of position, and in the end completely gave up; hence, the blow out score.

In the past I could have argued that the players were at least playing hard for Jauron. But, after Sunday, it seemed blatantly obvious to me that he had completely lost the team.