WW2 in HD

kegtapr

WWII absolutely fascinates me. It was the biggest event in history. My father fought in Patton's Third Army.......I would be very interested to see where the rankings would be of the different militaries from back then, and even from now. Can you tell me where you got that info about 17th ranked?

It was in the first show..don't know if ranked is the correct term, but it was more about troop size. The series stated that in 1939, ours was the 17th biggest military force in terms on manpower. It also was interesting in that the draft was started in 1940, but part of the legislation was that none of those boys could be sent overseas to fight in ANY conflict, obviously changed on December 7th 1941.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its good. I'm glad the History Channel is doing something worth watching. It had basically turned into all Hitler, apocalypse, and ghosts all the time.

I used to love the History Channel. Not any more for this very reason. History International is still a bit more diversified, though. They focus entirely on WWII, and series like Gangland. How about some stuff on Rome, Greece, Babylon, Egypt, Medieval Europe, the Arab Caliphate, or any number of other historical topics?

Edit: Heck, how about something on the even MORE transformative conflict of the previous century, WWI?

I've been watching it as well, it's a really great series. Has a Ken Burns feel to it, but it moves along at a better pace than Burnsey's show.

I never understood though, what good did it do for the us to burn Atlanta, it didn't really hasten the end of WWII the civil war and why did we burn our own property? :thumbsup:

I guess that's what you meant. Hard to say-Maybe supply's or just to show the CS it was over?

Few Americans today, and probably no-one under 30, realize we were the 17th rated military in the world at the time of the Pearl Harbor attack.

most people under 30 probably couldnt tell you who the United states fought.

When my dau moved into the dorm freshman year, my comment was "Dwight Eisenhower conducted

the Normandy Beach invasion with less 'stuff' than this."

She asked if Normandy Beach has good sand and I signed her up for a History class.

When my dau moved into the dorm freshman year, my comment was "Dwight Eisenhower conducted

the Normandy Beach invasion with less 'stuff' than this."

She asked if Normandy Beach has good sand and I signed her up for a History class.

Utterly pathetic. I'm a teacher, so I can say this: what the hell are teachers doing these days? Good lord! This is stuff I learned about in kindergarten!

On the original topic, I'm going to start watching the WWII series this weekend, i'll reserve comments till I see it. I'm glad the history channel is showing something worthwhile again though. I'm so so so so sick of "reality" shows like pawn stars, biggest catch, ice road truckers, etc.

I hear ya Corp85...

Her HS teachers were not very good...

If we could go back in time, we would have probably

done the private school 'thing'.

Because obviously it was the teacher's fault she didnt learn anything.

I say we blame firemen for fires.

any idea if they plan to re-run this series anytime? i would love to catch it. WW2 fascinates me for some reason.

They've been re-running episodes every night and during the day. I'm sure this weeked will have a marathon too.

It's the history channel, so yo know it will be on 100 times in the next month.

I guess that's what you meant. Hard to say-Maybe supply's or just to show the CS it was over?

It was sarcasm is response to dib's post about most people not knowing anything about American History. :thumbsup:

I am, in fact, reading Ken Burns Civil War book right now, so I knew/know the difference.

It was just a little levity to dib's accurate statement that a large number of people know NOTHING about our own friggin history.

They've been re-running episodes every night and during the day. I'm sure this weeked will have a marathon too.

It's the history channel, so yo know it will be on 100 times in the next month.

yep, between sabre games, football games etc, shows the wife wants to record, I have not recorded it at all at the first showing, but the tivo has been catching this at all kind of hrs

WWII absolutely fascinates me. It was the biggest event in history. My father fought in Patton's Third Army

My Uncle fought under Patton (grow up) he was in the 4th Armored Cavalry.

My father was 89th Division.

I used to love the History Channel. Not any more for this very reason. History International is still a bit more diversified, though. They focus entirely on WWII, and series like Gangland. How about some stuff on Rome, Greece, Babylon, Egypt, Medieval Europe, the Arab Caliphate, or any number of other historical topics?

Edit: Heck, how about something on the even MORE transformative conflict of the previous century, WWI?

I'd be interested to know why you think WWI was even more transformative? After WWII, you had the bomb, which transformed everything, the US becoming a superpower, etc.

It was sarcasm is response to dib's post about most people not knowing anything about American History. :D

I am, in fact, reading Ken Burns Civil War book right now, so I knew/know the difference.

It was just a little levity to dib's accurate statement that a large number of people know NOTHING about our own friggin history.

I knew you did of course :w00t: