Why the fixation with hiring a big-name coach?

PromoTheRobot

Saints - Sean Peyton

Steelers - Mike Tomlin

Colts - Mike Caldwell

Broncos - Josh McDaniels

49ers - Mike Singletary

Dolphins - Tony Sparano

Vikings - Brad Childress

I could go on, but I think you get my point. Did anyone hear of these guys before they were hired? (Mike Singletary the exception) If hiring the "name" was a guarantee of success, why are these name coaches still available?

Instead of hiring a "name" we should hire a competent GM/Ops guy who knows what to look for in a coach whether they have a name or not. I worry that hiring a head coach on name recognition alone will backfire on us.

PTR

Saints - Sean Peyton

Steelers - Mike Tomlin

Colts - Mike Caldwell

Broncos - Josh McDaniels

49ers - Mike Singletary

Dolphins - Tony Sparano

Vikings - Brad Childress

I could go on, but I think you get my point. Did anyone hear of these guys before they were hired? (Mike Singletary the exception) If hiring the "name" was a guarantee of success, why are these name coaches still available?

Instead of hiring a "name" we should hire a competent GM/Ops guy who knows what to look for in a coach whether they have a name or not. I worry that hiring a head coach on name recognition alone will backfire on us.

PTR

PTR...one of the best posts of the year brother. It all starts with the new GM. I don't care who he hires as long as it is the right man for the job.

Keep in mind.. this is the Bills. Whatever they do, it'll backfire on them. :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, very good point. IMO, the best thing a "name" coach would do is to help establish some credibility to the franchise. It would send a message that Ralph wants to win as opposed to just fill the spot. It may or may not translate into winning, but that's how I see it.

PTR...one of the best posts of the year brother. It all starts with the new GM. I don't care who he hires as long as it is the right man for the job.

That Right and TD was brought in as a gm and hired Greg Williams and then MM and then a football guy was brought in Marv Levy and he brought us DJ and here we are again talking about a GM you NEED A HC to go head to head with a gm to build a team not a yes men like the previous three.

Just hire Cower and solve both with one person.

I'm not sure I'd put Singletary on that list and I wouldn't put Caldwell or McDanials there either based on 9 games. Even Sparano is a question mark.

Having said that I understand your point. The one problem with your theory is how do you know when you have that right guy? For every Tomlin, there are four or five Greg Williams, up an coming coord. who failed as a head coach. Even Belicheck would be on that list based on Cleveland.

So the one advantage I see in hiring in name guy is he does have a track record. On the other hand look at a guy like Tony Dungy. Is he a great coach or an OK coach who looked great because he was working under one of the best GM's in the league?

I don't think Bill's fans are willing to wait it out to find out if an upcoming assistant is the real deal or not. I've always believed the key to sucess is hiring a good GM, so to me that is the more important move. With a good GM and coach would look good as I mentioned earlier about Dungy.

Saints - Sean Peyton

Steelers - Mike Tomlin

Colts - Mike Caldwell

Broncos - Josh McDaniels

49ers - Mike Singletary

Dolphins - Tony Sparano

Vikings - Brad Childress

PTR

That Right and TD was brought in as a gm and hired Greg Williams and then MM and then a football guy was brought in Marv Levy and he brought us DJ and here we are again talking about a GM you NEED A HC to go head to head with a gm to build a team not a yes men like the previous three.

Just hire Cower and solve both with one person.

I would also favor an HC/GM hybrid if it was someone like Cowher/Shanahan/Holmgren. I just want accountability at the top. We need the RIGHT GM to put the RIGHT people in place, but it starts at the top. Hopefully Ralph does the right thing this time.

Saints - Sean Peyton

Steelers - Mike Tomlin

Colts - Mike Caldwell

Broncos - Josh McDaniels

49ers - Mike Singletary

Dolphins - Tony Sparano

Vikings - Brad Childress

PTR

The list of no names coaching at the bottom of the league is MUCH longer.

The name coaches are still availble because they can pick where and when they coach again.

Saints - Sean Peyton

Steelers - Mike Tomlin

Colts - Mike Caldwell

Broncos - Josh McDaniels

49ers - Mike Singletary

Dolphins - Tony Sparano

Vikings - Brad Childress

PTR

Amen, brother -- a "name" is no guarantee of success. The Bills need a GM who has a vision about what the team should be and who can build an organization to carry out that vision, from scouts to coachs. In my neighborhood, Dan Snyder buys the sexiest names he can find (think Steve Spurrier) and falls flat on his face. (OK that's partly because he is a meddling jerk.) The Bills need to find someone who knows football, and more importantly, someone who knows what makes a good football team.

Saints - Sean Peyton

Steelers - Mike Tomlin

Colts - Mike Caldwell

Broncos - Josh McDaniels

49ers - Mike Singletary

Dolphins - Tony Sparano

Vikings - Brad Childress

PTR

Good point but IMO Cowher or Shanahan are 90% locks to turn the team around and possibly get them to the SB.

Saints - Sean Peyton

Steelers - Mike Tomlin

Colts - Mike Caldwell

Broncos - Josh McDaniels

49ers - Mike Singletary

Dolphins - Tony Sparano

Vikings - Brad Childress

PTR

anyone following football heard of all of those guys so I dont know where you are getting that they were unknowns from

dont misunderstand most fans desire for a name coach as wanting a coach that has had success at the job in the past...lets get a known comodity instead of the unknown like we had with Williams and Mularky

i dont think this organization can take a chance on another co-ordinator that has never been a head coach before....i dont think that means hire Cowher or one of the high priced guys because that isnt going to happen. Marty is the best choice for this team if he wants to coach again

the key is hiring people that have had success previously at the job they are being hired for

The fixation might be because the Bills have shown over the past decade and a half that hiring successful coordinators or retread former head coaches obviously hasn't worked around here. What other options are there that haven't been tried as of, oh say the turn of the century?

anyone following football heard of all of those guys so I dont know where you are getting that they were unknowns from

Marty is the best choice for this team if he wants to coach again

I'm sure Marty is a fine coach, but I want someone who can take the Bills through the playoffs, and not just to the playoffs

Good point but IMO Cowher or Shanahan are 90% locks to turn the team around and possibly get them to the SB.

I dispute your 90% stat. If it is such a sure bet those guys would be coaching somewhere now...and winning. Also consider what A-list coach is going to want to come to Buffalo and sully their reputatuion. It's not just spending money. The team and the city have a bad rep that will make it hard to draw quality free agents. Turning around the Bills is extra hard.

PTR

It all starts with the right QB...I could really care less who the coach is.....bring Perry Fewell in and keep him if we have a QB! The Colts are really missing Dungy aren't they? But they sure would miss Peyton!

90%, now that is funny. Cowher was in Pittsburgh what, about 15 years? Two Superbowl appearances, one win, and about 5 or 6 losses in the playoffs at home when they had homefield throughout the playoffs. 90% might be about 75% too high don't you think?

It's fairly obvious why a "big-name" coach is needed here. We already tried the "hope we get lucky with some assistant" routine and failed miserably. If we don't bring in a known commodity at the coaching spot then we sure better bring in a known commodity at GM.