Thank God the Sabres are winning...

sharper802

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure its nice the Sabres are winning early on, but come on, hockey is nowhere near the position the NFL is today, even in Western NY. It'd be nice to have a good friggin football team to talk about in November instead.

Who cares honestly hockey will always be greater than football in terms of interest for me..but seriously for those people who aren't as big of fans of hockey as I am the last time I checked Hockey is still 1 of the 4 major sports so a Stanley Cup is nothing to sniff at.

And I would disagree about the Sabres not being on the same level in Buffalo..when the Sabres are playing well and are going to the playoffs..like the 2 straight eastern confrence finals..I met moe people were behind the Sabres than the Bills making the Sabres>Bills..yea it swings back and forth but there are alot of Sabres fans in Buffalo and why wouldn't you root for the only hometown team that has actually been to the playoffs in the last decade.

.I met moe people were behind the Sabres than the Bills making the Sabres>Bills..yea it swings back and forth but there are alot of Sabres fans in Buffalo and why wouldn't you root for the only hometown team that has actually been to the playoffs in the last decade.

It's not that i don't root for them, but I don't really watch the games and it's only with casual interest that I pay attention to the scores of them. Let's face it, for a lot of reasons hockey is nowhere near the sport the NFL is. There are tons of games, so the atmosphere is not nearly as intense. I don't think the athletes are of the same caliber either. They are good athletes, don't get me wrong, but the sport is not as crushing physically as the NFL. I mean, there's no way you could play 80 plus football games in a season. You wouldn't have enough bodies left. It's not that i don't want the Sabres to win, but the season doesn't really seem to matter until April or so. The season for the NFL is short by comparison, and is such a spectacle that hockey before February seems like just an intrusion to me. It's apples to oranges really.

why?

It's expanding and making alot more money than hockey. Football television ratings kill the competition on gameday. When a football teams win the Superbowl - it's forced down peoples throats in the media. For hockey - its nowhere to be found except NHL Network. I love hockey - but I'd much rather have a lombardi in Buffalo rather than a stanley. This would put Buffalo on the map. A stanley cup - not so much... another day in the office except maybe a few hardcore fans jumping up and down in front of HSBC.

It's expanding and making alot more money than hockey. Football television ratings kill the competition on gameday. When a football teams win the Superbowl - it's forced down peoples throats in the media. For hockey - its nowhere to be found except NHL Network. I love hockey - but I'd much rather have a lombardi in Buffalo rather than a stanley. This would put Buffalo on the map. A stanley cup - not so much... another day in the office except maybe a few hardcore fans jumping up and down in front of HSBC.

I think this is indicative of what's wrong with the defeatist attitude of Buffalonians. Why do we need our sports teams to be the only thing that represents us nationally or internationally? I think that's the problem, not the solution.

When you think of NYC, I don't think of the Yankees, Giants, Rangers, I think of a finance, fashion, music, media Mecca. A hub of Western culture. NYC sets the benchmark for world trading markets, US fashion, television, et cetera. Most Mahattonites could give a **** about sports. Its the folks in Jersey that really care.

Chicago, LA, same thing. While sports is important, its the not the ONLY thing. We need to take pride in what's good about WNY outside of sports. How about our tremendously advanced and successful downtown medical campus? What's wrong with having a culture of extremely specialized medical professionals? Or how about our thriving arts scene? Underground music, hip hop, even stand up comedy is coming back. We have great architecture, world renowned art museums. These are the things that businesses build from. If our city will ever have a comeback, it won't be because the Bills win the Superbowl.

The Sabres have two Buffalonians in the lineup, are in first place, have the best ratings by far in the NHL, are committed to Buffalo for the long term, appear on national prime-time television multiple times (yes, the Vs. Network is national), have players who are well spoken, clean cut and respectful towards the fans, and the game is not tainted by gang-banging thugs who perform chest-pounding primate celebrations after assisting on a sack or catching a 6 yard pass.

The game is fast, the game is violent, the game has fighting, the game has skill, the game has class. It's an awesome sport, and the Sabres are a marquee franchise.

Hockey > Football. Sabres > Bills

I like hockey more than football. Others here like football more. Why does one person's opinion on the matter mean a thing to someone else? Poster X's love of football has absolutely no impact on my thoughts of either sport.

I like hockey more than football. Others here like football more. Why does one person's opinion on the matter mean a thing to someone else? Poster X's love of football has absolutely no impact on my thoughts of either sport.

Stop acting all mature and rational while we're busy bashing each other over the head with mallets.

The Sabres have two Buffalonians in the lineup, are in first place, have the best ratings by far in the NHL, are committed to Buffalo for the long term, appear on national prime-time television multiple times (yes, the Vs. Network is national), have players who are well spoken, clean cut and respectful towards the fans, and the game is not tainted by gang-banging thugs who perform chest-pounding primate celebrations after assisting on a sack or catching a 6 yard pass.

The game is fast, the game is violent, the game has fighting, the game has skill, the game has class. It's an awesome sport, and the Sabres are a marquee franchise.

+1 and i'm not trying to throw anyone under the bus for liking football more..i'm just saying stop acting like the Sabres are a second class franchise when they aren't. What is up with dissing Stanley cups...The Detroit Red Wings are one of the most popular and well thought of franchises no matter the sport. Held in higher regard than alot of NFL franchises...so its not like hockey is a second class sport...heck the same thing can be said about baseball..noone cares until October...

I, for one, do care more about the Bills and the NFL than I do about the Sabres/NHL, but the gap is closing and this doesn't mean I don't take solace in the Sabres starting off well... Its hard enough to cheer for one losing team, but cheering for two can be rough.

Like I said, for me, the Bills are more important than the Sabres, but only because I have been cheering for them really hard for a lot longer. Hockey was an afterthought for me growing up. I like watching the Sabres more and more every year. And although I think both teams have a lot of the same management flaws, I really think the Sabres front office is more committed to winning a championship than those at One Bills Drive.

Just my two cents.

And yes, Tyler Myers is very good and will be great.

Sorry , but I never really got the "good thing the Sabres are winning" thing. Hockey isn't football, not even close. The rest of the country yawns when hockey is mentioned on sports radio, ESPN, etc. It hardly matters, and the sport just doesn't compare to football. It's really no consolation for the performance of our NFL team at all.

I'm one the few with ya Boat

Whatever you say animal :lol:

Hmm lets see.Going to hsbc to see a great team play,

that is well coached and has a great chance of winning or

going to see a bunch of underperforming,poorly coached,

lack of emotion bums playing......

SABRES>bumbling bills...... by a whole lot :lol:

I love the Sabres but lets not get too excited here in Mid-November....this is the same team that managed to botch two key free agents in drury and briere and has a street rep to not attract marquee talent FA's due to this management style. I love their drafts but they are going to need to make some big trades at the deadline to re-load...

I used to love the Sabs but I struggle to really have interest in hockey anymore. I like this group of Sabres a million more times than last year's team but hockey feels so minor league. Plus, the season goes on way too long. Can you really get excited about a team in November when the season doesn't end until July? I don't know 95% of the players and the passion of hating other teams isn't there anymore.

I love for Buffalo to have a championship but the Sabres winning would be worth a fraction of what the Bills ever winning a Super Bowl. But it's a nice little distraction in a long winter.

This entire area went absolutely berzerk for the sabres during the back to back Eastern Conference Finals a few years ago. A Stanley Cup would be nowhere near as big as a Superbowl of course but we're not talking the Bandits or Bisons, this is a major four sport that had great ratings for the cup last year and packed 400,000 people at the parade in Pittsburgh. I feel bad for those who aren't as in to the Sabres, it really is a lot of fun to follow day to day, been curing my Bills blues for years.

I would venture to GUESS that most here who have no interest in the Sabres did not grow up in Buffalo. I know there are many here who's love for the Bills got handed down by relatives who lived there.

It may not be a National fenom like the NFL, but to Buffalonians, the Sabres are relevant.

Growing up in Tonawanda, you found just as many kids, if not more, playing street/pond Hockey as you'd find kids playing Football.

It's obviously an individual choice on likes in terms of sports, but to say the Sabres aren't as important in Buffalo as the Bills is a huge fail. Just look at the crowds who showed up outside the Arena during the Playoff runs the first 2 years out of the lockout. The National media that DOES care about Hockey couldn't stop gushing over the support our team had. It was eerily similar to the support shown during the 4 Super Bowls, if you were living in the area at the time.

I love the Sabres but lets not get too excited here in Mid-November....this is the same team that managed to botch two key free agents in drury and briere and has a street rep to not attract marquee talent FA's due to this management style. I love their drafts but they are going to need to make some big trades at the deadline to re-load...

Not sure if they "botched" Drury....He did choose NYC over Buffalo because that is the area in which he grew up. He wanted to be closer to "home". Buffalo offered the same money the Rangers did.

As far a Briere goes, he has been a disappointment in Philly. Often injured etc. He will be into his late 30s at the end of his contract....I am glad they didn't sign him.

Both overpaid in my opinion....

I comment at Sabres message boards about 20-1 more often than the Bills boards. I've got the NHL Center Ice package and not the NFL ticket. I watch 95% of the Sabres games, and have seen two of nine Bills games. I am educated about every player on the Sabres roster, and nearly every potential NHL player they have in their minor league system.

Growing up, I was a fan of both and played both sports, but definitely was more passionate about the Bills. That was slowly but surely reversed over the past 10 years, as the Bills wallowed in ineptitude, but the full blown switch in my fan interest and allegiance came the day that Wilson signed the deal to play regular season home games in Toronto. Being a Sabres fan means hating the Leafs, and the thought of a Buffalo team playing home games in Toronto was a deal breaker for me...the final straw.

It's all about the Sabres now for me. If after Wilson croaks the Bills somehow remain in Buffalo, I'll be open to return again and say go Bills, too, but not before. For the foreseeable future, the colors I consider my home town colors are the blue and gold (well, really yellow), and not the red, white and blue of Ralph Wilson.