Jauron quit on his team

Dan

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all of the coaching.

QB sneak when you've got two good runs to take it to 3rd and a long 1???

Defensive play calls on third and long? Leaving Chris Johnson wide open???

Not calling a timeout at the end of the first half with 55 seconds and a 1 yard loss to Chris Johnson???

Yanking Trent Edwards because you think he'll get hurt???

There are about a million more, and that's just today. His blunders are mounting, and mounting, and his stats are decreasing with hilarity. I actually loathe Dick. He just doesn't show enough intelligence and wherewithal to actually change things when they aren't working.

Dressing Byron Scott to play MLB because you're either too proud or too stupid to put Maybin in that position.

Dressing Byron Scott to play MLB because you're either too proud or too stupid to put Maybin in that position.

Not to mention Harris. I'm willing to say that a Dick Jauron coached team starts every game with a solid 10-14 point handicap.

I'm not justifying the call at all. I'm just saying that it really isn't one of Jauron's worst. At least there was an argument for declining. We had them to 3rd and like 14. 51 yard field goals aren't exactly gimmies. I don't know what I would have done. Our defense vs. Chris Johnson on 3rd down, how do you know they don't easily pick up the ten yards right back?

Whether they get the yards back or not is not the point. The point is you MAKE them get the yardss back. I agree a 51 yarder is no gimmie, but with their kicker its certainly in his range.

The problem is Jauron just conceded the FG try, rather than giving his defense a chance to stop them - or God forbid get a turnover. Afterall, we have a guy in the secondary that leads the league in interceptions. Similar to earlier in the year when he took is offense off the field, late in the game when we needed 2 scores; today he took his defense off the field when we needed them to stop the Titans without a score.

I'm sorry, but there's not a coach in the league that would not have backed them out of FG range. Jauron wuit on the team. What's so bad is its not the first time and much like the previous time, the team let him know how they felt by completely falling apart after that. If it's not apparent that he's lost this team by now then it never will be.

Whether they get the yards back or not is not the point. The point is you MAKE them get the yardss back. I agree a 51 yarder is no gimmie, but with their kicker its certainly in his range.

The problem is Jauron just conceded the FG try, rather than giving his defense a chance to stop them - or God forbid get a turnover. Afterall, we have a guy in the secondary that leads the league in interceptions. Similar to earlier in the year when he took is offense off the field, late in the game when we needed 2 scores; today he took his defense off the field when we needed them to stop the Titans without a score.

I'm sorry, but there's not a coach in the league that would not have backed them out of FG range. Jauron wuit on the team. What's so bad is its not the first time and much like the previous time, the team let him know how they felt by completely falling apart after that. If it's not apparent that he's lost this team by now then it never will be.

Ultimately it was a bad call because they made the fg. I don't think it was a no brainer though, but rather a 50-50 call. I'd be interested in seeing what Bironas career record is from 51 yards. I think there was at least a 50% chance of the Titans gaining 10 plus yards on 3rd down against that defense at that point in the game. They had been converting third and longs.

Can't catch a ball thrown to you way over head.....totally agree about penalty decline...bad call for DJ. He quit on his team with that call

Jauron quit at the half, IMO - he seemed genuinely pissed that Fisher would dare to make him bring his team back out when they were already half-way down the tunnel, on their way to a nice little half-time rest and some Gatorade and PowerBars.

If DJ had any kind of fire in his belly, and if he was really pissed, he would have used all 3 time-outs to 'ice' Bironas and show Fisher how pissed he was, instead of taking two into the locker room. But he was probably in a hurry to get his players lying down on their nap rugs.

As it is, I admire Jeff Fisher - unlike Jauron, Fisher was using every second to try to score when the game was still close.

Ultimately it was a bad call because they made the fg. I don't think it was a no brainer though, but rather a 50-50 call. I'd be interested in seeing what Bironas career record is from 51 yards. I think there was at least a 50% chance of the Titans gaining 10 plus yards on 3rd down against that defense at that point in the game. They had been converting third and longs.

According to Yahoo, he's 8-13 at 50+ yards in his career. He's 40-51 at 40-49 yards out. So, he's a pretty good long kicker. I'd put him at better than 50% for a 51 yarder.

Again, I agree, the Titans may very well have gotten the 10 yards back. Hell, they may have scored a TD on a Johnson screen. But, the point is you MAKE them. You don't just concede that your defense can't stop them. Jauron told his team, with his decision, that he has no faith in them to play. And based on the final score, the players responded accordingly.

Whenever faced with a choice between:

1. Creating a situation that gives you a chance to control your own destiny by taking charge and performing well; and

2. Giving the other guy that same chance, and relying upon his failure

Dick will always choose #2. He rarely ever gives his team the chance to step up and make a play in a meaningful situation. 4-and-short, down in the 4th? Dick punts. Down 7 points in the 4th - knowing that going down by 2 scores at that point basically ends it - he could push it to 3rd and 16 and ask his defense to make a play - but instead he declines the penatly, concedes the long FG try, and relies on the other guy to miss.

He is not a leader. He is not a motivator. He is a poor decision maker. He loses. A lot ... which is part of the reason he not only chooses option #2, but his coaching consistently smells like #2.

Ask and you shall receive. He was 8-for-13 from 50+ coming into today's game, but hadn't tried one yet this year.

50+ stats from the '09 media guide:

2005: 2-5 (52, 58n, 53, 50n, 51n)

2006: 1-2 (51n, 60)

2007: 4-5 (52, 53, 56, 53n, 54)

2008: 1-1 (51)

To sum: 6 for his last 7 from 50+, not counting the 60-yard prayer at the end of today's first half.

Ultimately it was a bad call because they made the fg. I don't think it was a no brainer though, but rather a 50-50 call.

A 50-50 call that NO other coach has EVER called that way, in all my years watching football, as far as I can remember. And it was indeed the EXACT moment his team decided in unison to stop trying. Nothing WE say about it matters, but what THEY did after that call speaks volumes.

According to Yahoo, he's 8-13 at 50+ yards in his career. He's 40-51 at 40-49 yards out. So, he's a pretty good long kicker. I'd put him at better than 50% for a 51 yarder.

Again, I agree, the Titans may very well have gotten the 10 yards back. Hell, they may have scored a TD on a Johnson screen. But, the point is you MAKE them. You don't just concede that your defense can't stop them. Jauron told his team, with his decision, that he has no faith in them to play. And based on the final score, the players responded accordingly.

Did you have faith in them to stop it? I didn't.

And don't get me wrong, I turned to people I was watching the game with and said "you gotta take the penalty, right?". Then when I saw it was a 51 yarder I wasn't completely against the call. Ultimately, it was a bad call. Myself, I probably would have taken the penalty. I just don't think it was a no brainer at all, and if I HAD to bet, I think the Titans would have somehow, someway picked up that first down. You probably do, too. :oops:

And don't get me wrong, I turned to people I was watching the game with and said "you gotta take the penalty, right?". Then when I saw it was a 51 yarder I wasn't completely against the call. Ultimately, it was a bad call. Myself, I probably would have taken the penalty. I just don't think it was a no brainer at all, and if I HAD to bet, I think the Titans would have somehow, someway picked up that first down. You probably do, too. :oops:

No, I figured they'd find a way to convert ... but I also knew Bironas could make that kick.

I'm all for a mid-season firing. I don't think there is any good having him around for the 2nd half of the season. He's just going to have a negative impact on the rookies.

Jauron is a stupid dumb lame duck....Get him out of here NOW Make April the Head coach for the rest of the year. :oops:

And don't get me wrong, I turned to people I was watching the game with and said "you gotta take the penalty, right?". Then when I saw it was a 51 yarder I wasn't completely against the call. Ultimately, it was a bad call. Myself, I probably would have taken the penalty. I just don't think it was a no brainer at all, and if I HAD to bet, I think the Titans would have somehow, someway picked up that first down. You probably do, too. :censored:

Yeah, I half expected they'd score a touch down. :oops: But, if you know anything about football, you make them do that. You just have to take that penalty. A head coach in the NFL has to know that. The single worst thing the they could do on that drive is score and our coach gave them the oppurtunity.

And don't get me wrong, I turned to people I was watching the game with and said "you gotta take the penalty, right?". Then when I saw it was a 51 yarder I wasn't completely against the call. Ultimately, it was a bad call. Myself, I probably would have taken the penalty. I just don't think it was a no brainer at all, and if I HAD to bet, I think the Titans would have somehow, someway picked up that first down. You probably do, too. :censored:

Everyone arguing Jauron should have taken the penalty is forgetting one important factor in Jauron's decision: if he's facing a 51-yard FG on 4th down in a close game, he punts it. So in HIS mind, it's better to not take the penalty and force the punt... :oops:

Jauron quit at the half, IMO - he seemed genuinely pissed that Fisher would dare to make him bring his team back out when they were already half-way down the tunnel, on their way to a nice little half-time rest and some Gatorade and PowerBars.

If DJ had any kind of fire in his belly, and if he was really pissed, he would have used all 3 time-outs to 'ice' Bironas and show Fisher how pissed he was, instead of taking two into the locker room. But he was probably in a hurry to get his players lying down on their nap rugs.

As it is, I admire Jeff Fisher - unlike Jauron, Fisher was using every second to try to score when the game was still close.

The first game back, they had the lead against the Buffalo Bills and blew it, which involved Joe Gibbs’s back-to-back timeouts at the end. Everyone dogged Gibbs of not knowing the rule.

If DJ had any kind of fire in his belly, and if he was really pissed, he would have used all 3 time-outs to 'ice' Bironas and show Fisher how pissed he was, instead of taking two into the locker room.

I thought you weren't allowed to do that. Isn't there a rule somewhere that says you can't call successive timeouts to ice a kicker?

As for DJ, I'm rapidly losing respect for Yale.

I thought you weren't allowed to do that. Isn't there a rule somewhere that says you can't call successive timeouts to ice a kicker?

As for DJ, I'm rapidly losing respect for Yale.

Bob DiCesare suggested that it might be time to request his transcripts. :oops:

I don't see where that can be concluded.

TO quit today, but Jauron just isn't good enough. Modrak and Guy are not good enough. We are seeing the fruits of GM-by-committee.

I don't know how you could look at the effort that the defense once again put out today, and say that they ever quit. The only problem with that, is that even though the offense was improved, the undersized defense wore out, yet again.

That's not quit. That's pure physical exhaustion.

The first game back, they had the lead against the Buffalo Bills and blew it, which involved Joe Gibbs’s back-to-back timeouts at the end. Everyone dogged Gibbs of not knowing the rule.

:oops:

Forgot about that game. I thought the opposing team could call back-to-back timeouts - and, in fact, they can - only not in an attempt to 'ice the kicker'. My bad.

So Jauron got one right. Still doesn't change the fact that he sucks.