Keep it up you liberals

Such brutal attacks at liberals, can't we all just get along...Hey we support the troops in Iraq..no matter what the circumstances are that got them there.

121612[/snapback]

The lefties support the troops? Hmmm, lets take a look-see at that statement shall we?

PetrinoinAlbany says this;

Now we're shooting unarmed, injured enemy combatants? I can't WAIT to hear Bush's lawyers turn this one into a perfectly acceptable act according to their 'interpretation' of the articles of the Geneva Convention. I saw the video ... both versions. Sickening. Apparently even the right-wing, hawk whacko's who make up most of the regulars in PPP (and provide at least one 'moderator' as well) aren't too thrilled about it either. Or, at least, they seem silent on the matter. But I must comment. Yes, you all know I hate this war already. But THIS takes it to a new low. The silence from the hawks in here is deafening ... that's why I'm posting this.

UCONN James echoes this (before an investigation is even begun mind you);

"One of them's still breathing!"

<M-16 spurt>

"Now he's not."

-----

I guess we can take comfort that everyone in the known world can see what this admin is allowing by sending the message to our troops that the Geneva Convention doesn't apply to us anymore. And they'll treat our soldiers in like kind.

The point is to have more moral authority than the terrorists. Not to be down in the ditch with them.

blzrul goes back to poster boy John Kerry and again makes no original point that doesnt sniff of "Bush-BAD"

Interesting isn't it? The people who are now defending this action are some of the same ones who condemned John Kerry for shooting a fleeing attacker in the back?

It's not all black and white, is it, much though some of you might like it that way.

Ahhhhh I love the smell of hypocrisy in the morning....or any time. It's always thick around here.

And from VABeachBledsoe;

It was an act of cruelity..especially after the Marine's comment "now he is dead"...I was sick watching the video....this is worst than another black eye on our mission in Iraq

SUPPORT THE TROOPS right? Keep putting those yellow ribbons on your cars and then turning around and stabbing them in the back lefties.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are suggesting that the actions of the military should not be reconciled with international law?

121645[/snapback]

Absolutely not.

It was a direct response to the point being made that the left is not supporting the troops on the ground.

To combine this post with the question you had raised about disagreements with foreign policy decisions of the adminstration, there is a big difference. I fully expect any administration's decisions to go through a full spectrum of criticism.

But it crosses the line when you have a stampede to jump in with a video or an account of combat transgressions that not only haven't been investigated, but worse, presented out of context.

Do you recall anyone on the right stumbling over themselves to show mistakes by the Marines in Balkans? I don't.

How many people wore the righteous cloak when the US jets ripped the Italian ski gondola from the air during Clinton's term?

Funny, but PiA wasn't the first. Dr. K wasted no time in misrepresenting actions of Marine snipers in taking down unfortunate civilians who were used as body shields.

I see a big difference.

Absolutely not. 

It was a direct response to the point being made that the left is not supporting the troops on the ground.

To combine this post with the question you had raised about disagreements with foreign policy decisions of the adminstration, there is a big difference.  I fully expect any administration's decisions to go through a full spectrum of criticism. 

But it crosses the line when you have a stampede to jump in with a video or an account of combat transgressions that not only haven't been investigated, but worse, presented out of context.

Do you recall anyone on the right stumbling over themselves to show mistakes by the Marines in Balkans?  I don't. 

How many people wore the righteous cloak when the US jets ripped the Italian ski gondola from the air during Clinton's term?

Funny, but PiA wasn't the first.  Dr. K wasted no time in misrepresenting actions of Marine snipers in taking down unfortunate civilians who were used as body shields.

I see a big difference.

121708[/snapback]

Got it. I was just looking for claritication B)

Nope.  US troops, US Commanders, US courts.  Period.

121781[/snapback]

I think the problem is when we go back on international law it is really detrimental to our troops and any civilians we have stationed anywhere. If our word is no good, why should anyone else have to adhere to the rules? This puts our guys in harm's way if they are captured, in Iraq or in the future. As for what else can be the answer when we're fighting some brutal enemies, I have no idea. Please don't kill the messenger.

I am passing no judgement on the events that transpired on tape. I hate killing, but I have no idea what was going on there. And the injured Iraqi may well have had a bomb; this is the mark of the awful war we are engaged in.

I think the problem is when we go back on international law it is really detrimental to our troops and any civilians we have stationed anywhere.  If our word is no good, why should anyone else have to adhere to the rules?  This puts our guys in harm's way if they are captured, in Iraq or in the future.  As for what else can be the answer when we're fighting some brutal enemies, I have no idea.  Please don't kill the messenger.

I am passing no judgement on the events that transpired on tape.  I hate killing, but I have no idea what was going on there.  And the injured Iraqi may well have had a bomb; this is the mark of the awful war we are engaged in.

121938[/snapback]

It's really the mark of every war we're engaged in. If you think we haven't given dying soldiers grenades, I've got news for you.

Our word is plenty good. If you're on the battle field, we'll kill you. Alot. If you want to negotiate peace, we'll do that too. That guy wasn't in that mosque negotiating stevestojan. He was trying to kill our soldiers just minutes earlier. If he had been turned loose, after his rehab he'd have been right back at it.

He wanted to collect on his 72 virgins (or Virginians). We simply arranged the meeting.

It's really the mark of every war we're engaged in.  If you think we haven't given dying soldiers grenades, I've got news for you.

Our word is plenty good.  If you're on the battle field, we'll kill you.  Alot.  If you want to negotiate peace, we'll do that too.  That guy wasn't in that mosque negotiating stevestojan.  He was trying to kill our soldiers just minutes earlier.  If he had been turned loose, after his rehab he'd have been right back at it.

He wanted to collect on his 72 virgins (or Virginians).  We simply arranged the meeting.

121950[/snapback]

You are probably right. I still think there is danger in ignoring the Geneva conventions, though, moreso in situations like Abu Ghraib. Surely what transpired in that prison has been a motivating and recruiting force for more terrible acts on behalf of the terrorists.

The lefties support the troops?  Hmmm, lets take a look-see at that statement shall we?

blzrul goes back to poster boy John Kerry and again makes no original point that doesnt sniff of "Bush-BAD"

And from VABeachBledsoe;

SUPPORT THE TROOPS right?    Keep putting those yellow ribbons on your cars and then turning around and stabbing them in the back lefties.

121685[/snapback]

I wrote my post on how i felt watching the video..it was an emotional reponse...god, what paranoia the Right seems to show on this forum. Are you too narrow minded to think we cannot feel support for the troops there....I'm not saying it was right or wrong what that marine did..It's not for me to decide. Military law will do its job in this case. But please come in from right field with this "we. liberals, don't support the troops" we are able to express our opinions on certain situations and those may not be right...but we are free to express them

I think the problem is when we go back on international law it is really detrimental to our troops and any civilians we have stationed anywhere.  If our word is no good, why should anyone else have to adhere to the rules?  This puts our guys in harm's way if they are captured, in Iraq or in the future.  As for what else can be the answer when we're fighting some brutal enemies, I have no idea.  Please don't kill the messenger.

I am passing no judgement on the events that transpired on tape.  I hate killing, but I have no idea what was going on there.  And the injured Iraqi may well have had a bomb; this is the mark of the awful war we are engaged in.

121938[/snapback]

Thing is, our guys are in harms way if they are captured or in the future ANYWAY! Have these scumbags ever needed to be enflamed to commit atrocities against us or civilians for that matter?

Thing is, our guys are in harms way if they are captured or in the future ANYWAY!  Have these scumbags ever needed to be enflamed to commit atrocities against us or civilians for that matter?

122012[/snapback]

The "true believers" do not need to have their flames stoked, you are right. But Abu Ghraib was a significant setback in that it naturalized a sentiment of hatred on the part of Iraqis for us. Some of those Iraqis probably became more involved in the insurgency, some merely more sympathetic; meanwhile the moderates who recognize the good we are doing have less feet to stand on because they are viewed as people who condoned our less savory actions as well.

These problems are not with our soldiers, they are systemic. Right now Bush has proven he is quite capable of winning a campaign and acting like a winner in war, but he has yet to prove he has what it takes to deal with other nations diplomatically, post-war. I hope for the sake of further American lives he learns, fast.

The lefties support the troops?  Hmmm, lets take a look-see at that statement shall we?

And from VABeachBledsoe;

SUPPORT THE TROOPS right?    Keep putting those yellow ribbons on your cars and then turning around and stabbing them in the back lefties.

121685[/snapback]

I am a "lefty", why did you not include my post?

Let me see, if I am critical of a priest who fondles boys, have I stabbed priests everywhere in the back? Am I anti-Catholic? It seems to me that one could be against shooting a prisoner if in fact the prisoner is unarmed and if in fact he presented no threat and still support the troops. As I said in my post, I think it is absolutely silly for anyone to applaud or condemn the soldier involved here until the facts are known. This incident will be investigated and if it is warranted, there will be some sort of trial by the proper authorities. What makes us special in the world isn't that we never do anything wrong, it is our willingness to submit ourselves to the jugment of fair and just laws.

I am no military lawyer but I am willing to guess that a soldier in this circumstance is granted quite a bit of latitude. Until we know his orders however and what ever other circumstances existed, we can't judge him nor exonerate him. If he needs a lawyer, I'd volunteer in a heartbeat. If I was on the jury of a court martial and it turns out he was guilty of the charges brought, no amount of jingoistic flag waving by misguided patriots would change my vote.

Keep up the crying about a brave patriotic marine slaughtering a scumbag terrorist and kiss 2008 goodbye like you did 2004. You’ll never learn, will you. Wussies.

120455[/snapback]

Hey don't complain. This is exactly why they did so good this past Nov 2nd. I for one hope to see much more of the same. It will only insure that the good people of our country will continue to see them for what they are.

GOD Bless America

Why the hell does this get so much press but Irish CARE female volunteer getting killed gets pushed to the back? WTF? War is hell. Get a clue. BTW Al Jazeera decided not to show the video of the CARE worker- they thought it was too brutal, but the Nick Berg video made for great TV. Talk about partisisan liberal lemmings. You guys buy into the propaganda the Al Jazeera puts out which trickles into our pathetic news programs. Seriously IMO this marine shooting should not even be an issue. We are at war people!

Why the hell does this get so much press but Irish CARE female volunteer getting killed gets pushed to the back?  WTF?  War is hell.  Get a clue.  BTW Al Jazeera decided not to show the video of the CARE worker- they thought it was too brutal, but the Nick Berg video made for great TV.  Talk about partisisan liberal lemmings.  You guys buy into the propaganda the Al Jazeera puts out which trickles into our pathetic news programs.  Seriously IMO this marine shooting should not even be an issue.  We are at war people!

122519[/snapback]

Then let's not hear about ANY of the deaths, because HEY, we're at war.

And while we're at it, why worry about the troops? Their job is ... WAR. So. We don't fret because of looser gun laws that may make our police officers more vulnerable. That's their JOB as cops, to take a bullet for us if needed, right? So then what the hey, if someone's in a war any injury or death is what they should expect and it's just A-OK.

That would all be true by your "logic" at least. Myself I prefer that our soldiers down the road NOT be made to pay for the stevestojan at Abu Grabass and this most recent event. But they will. All because of the actions of a few individuals who couldn't control themselves or who were battle-worn and injured and MAYBE should have been convalescing a bit instead of being thrown back into battle.