3 Possible GM candidates

jahbonas

This from Brian Guilford of Buffalo Rumblings.

He did a nice job identifying 3 realistic possibilities of GM's that would be affordable...have familiarty with Bills organization and would be a "football only' GM while Brandon stays on for the Business side of GM duties....

Also indicating that Juaron and John guy would be "must go' types....Modrak would depend on GM chosen

Here they are (Brian Polian not included because assumed he'd likely stay with Colts)

I've got the names of three men for you now - all are rising GM candidates, and all have unique qualities that could work in Wilson's ideal front office structure.

Marc Ross - Director of College Scouting, New York Giants (Ross reading material)

Ross is 34 years old. He's worked for the Bills before - as a national scout, under Tom Modrak. He worked as a scout for Modrak in Philadelphia, and was the Director of College Scouting there, too. Now, he works in the same capacity under Jerry Reese in New York, and has helped put together a couple of stellar draft classes for one of the best-run and easily-identifiable teams in the NFL right now. His best selection in those two years might be WR Mario Manningham, who has exploded onto the scene for New York this season.

If Wilson is looking to bring in some outside influence and culture while enabling as little shake-up to his front office as possible, Ross is clearly the best candidate. Ross is a "discovery" of Modrak's, so it's well beyond reasonable to assume that Ross would keep Modrak and his scouting staff on board - and again, that's not a bad thing. Buffalo has drafted relatively well the past few years, and Modrak is well-respected; with a different, more forceful personality calling the final shots, why can't it work? Ross is young enough to work alongside Brandon, too, and do so without complaint. As long as Ross gutted the pro personnel department - currently headed up by John Guy - he'd be a definite step in the right direction, and what's more, a beyond-plausible one for Wilson to consider.

Tell me why this wouldn't be possible, even to a mind that thinks as uniquely as Mr. Wilson:

Ralph Wilson - Owner, Team President

Russ Brandon - VP, Chief Operating Officer

Marc Ross - General Manager, Football Operations

Tom Modrak - Director of College Scouting

__________ - Director of Pro Personnel

__________ - Head Football Coach

What possible objection could Wilson have? You get the outside influence, you shake things up as little as possible, you get a football voice and streamline the efficiency of decision-making. Wilson himself, and the front office executives he'd be keeping (even if he forced Ross to keep Modrak, why would Ross object?), already have a familiarity with Ross. That's like win times a million.

Eric DeCosta - Director of Player Personnel, Baltimore Ravens (DeCosta reading material)If Wilson's feeling a little gutsier, the 38-year-old DeCosta would be a great fit as well. The only difference in the above organizational chart would be blanking out Modrak's name, because DeCosta comes from an organization that does things in a very specific way. He'd demand a little more authority than Ross would just based on his background (in my book, that's nowhere near a bad thing). He, too, is still young enough to accept working next to Brandon, the liaison between a GM and Wilson.

If there's one team that embodies the type of play that Bills fans appreciate most on the field, it's Baltimore. You'll be hard-pressed to find a team that plays faster and more physically than Baltimore, particularly defensively. They're blue-collar. We're blue-collar. That's what makes DeCosta so endearing - that and the fact that he's essentially the right-hand man of one of the greatest General Managers in the league, Ozzie Newsome. DeCosta isn't as snug a fit if we're talking about realistic options, but again, I believe that Brandon's presence makes any GM candidate a possibility - and DeCosta has the chops to be a great one.

Ruston Webster - Vice President of Player Personnel, Seattle Seahawks (Webster reading material)

Webster, 49, is yet again slightly different from the first two names on the list in that his background has a little less to do with scouting and a little more to do with pro personnel - he's far more balanced than either Ross or DeCosta in that department. Right now, Webster is the right-hand man of Seahawks GM Tim Ruskell - and Seattle has had some success recently, and always seems to draft relatively well - but Webster was also part of the great Buccaneers teams of early this decade, that were perennial playoff contenders under Tony Dungy and a won a Super Bowl with Gruden.

Again, Webster is more of a stretch than Ross considering he'd very likely want to re-vamp both the scouting and pro personnel departments - and Wilson has a deep respect for Modrak. In that light, Webster is less realistic - but that doesn't make him a possibility worth exploring. For a third time, Webster is a candidate that could work next to Brandon while commanding full, final say over the shape of the football roster.

This from Brian Guilford of Buffalo Rumblings.

He did a nice job identifying 3 realistic possibilities of GM's that would be affordable...have familiarty with Bills organization and would be a "football only' GM while Brandon stays on for the Business side of GM duties....

Also indicating that Juaron and John guy would be "must go' types....Modrak would depend on GM chosen

Here they are (Brian Polian not included because assumed he'd likely stay with Colts)

I've got the names of three men for you now - all are rising GM candidates, and all have unique qualities that could work in Wilson's ideal front office structure.

Marc Ross - Director of College Scouting, New York Giants (Ross reading material)

Ross is 34 years old. He's worked for the Bills before - as a national scout, under Tom Modrak. He worked as a scout for Modrak in Philadelphia, and was the Director of College Scouting there, too. Now, he works in the same capacity under Jerry Reese in New York, and has helped put together a couple of stellar draft classes for one of the best-run and easily-identifiable teams in the NFL right now. His best selection in those two years might be WR Mario Manningham, who has exploded onto the scene for New York this season.

If Wilson is looking to bring in some outside influence and culture while enabling as little shake-up to his front office as possible, Ross is clearly the best candidate. Ross is a "discovery" of Modrak's, so it's well beyond reasonable to assume that Ross would keep Modrak and his scouting staff on board - and again, that's not a bad thing. Buffalo has drafted relatively well the past few years, and Modrak is well-respected; with a different, more forceful personality calling the final shots, why can't it work? Ross is young enough to work alongside Brandon, too, and do so without complaint. As long as Ross gutted the pro personnel department - currently headed up by John Guy - he'd be a definite step in the right direction, and what's more, a beyond-plausible one for Wilson to consider.

Tell me why this wouldn't be possible, even to a mind that thinks as uniquely as Mr. Wilson:

Ralph Wilson - Owner, Team President

Russ Brandon - VP, Chief Operating Officer

Marc Ross - General Manager, Football Operations

Tom Modrak - Director of College Scouting

__________ - Director of Pro Personnel

__________ - Head Football Coach

What possible objection could Wilson have? You get the outside influence, you shake things up as little as possible, you get a football voice and streamline the efficiency of decision-making. Wilson himself, and the front office executives he'd be keeping (even if he forced Ross to keep Modrak, why would Ross object?), already have a familiarity with Ross. That's like win times a million.

Eric DeCosta - Director of Player Personnel, Baltimore Ravens (DeCosta reading material)If Wilson's feeling a little gutsier, the 38-year-old DeCosta would be a great fit as well. The only difference in the above organizational chart would be blanking out Modrak's name, because DeCosta comes from an organization that does things in a very specific way. He'd demand a little more authority than Ross would just based on his background (in my book, that's nowhere near a bad thing). He, too, is still young enough to accept working next to Brandon, the liaison between a GM and Wilson.

If there's one team that embodies the type of play that Bills fans appreciate most on the field, it's Baltimore. You'll be hard-pressed to find a team that plays faster and more physically than Baltimore, particularly defensively. They're blue-collar. We're blue-collar. That's what makes DeCosta so endearing - that and the fact that he's essentially the right-hand man of one of the greatest General Managers in the league, Ozzie Newsome. DeCosta isn't as snug a fit if we're talking about realistic options, but again, I believe that Brandon's presence makes any GM candidate a possibility - and DeCosta has the chops to be a great one.

Ruston Webster - Vice President of Player Personnel, Seattle Seahawks (Webster reading material)

Webster, 49, is yet again slightly different from the first two names on the list in that his background has a little less to do with scouting and a little more to do with pro personnel - he's far more balanced than either Ross or DeCosta in that department. Right now, Webster is the right-hand man of Seahawks GM Tim Ruskell - and Seattle has had some success recently, and always seems to draft relatively well - but Webster was also part of the great Buccaneers teams of early this decade, that were perennial playoff contenders under Tony Dungy and a won a Super Bowl with Gruden.

Again, Webster is more of a stretch than Ross considering he'd very likely want to re-vamp both the scouting and pro personnel departments - and Wilson has a deep respect for Modrak. In that light, Webster is less realistic - but that doesn't make him a possibility worth exploring. For a third time, Webster is a candidate that could work next to Brandon while commanding full, final say over the shape of the football roster.

I can't really comment on the viability of any of these guys, but I can't help feel like Ralph would never hire anyone as young as Ross or DeCosta. I think, if Ralph is going to hire a GM, it will be somebody who has been around a while. The Bruce Allen rumor intrigues me...

I can't really comment on the viability of any of these guys, but I can't help feel like Ralph would never hire anyone as young as Ross or DeCosta. I think, if Ralph is going to hire a GM, it will be somebody who has been around a while. The Bruce Allen rumor intrigues me...

Ralph hiring an older guy could be possible but also an older guy who is already a GM..or has GM experience would mean more $$$ which we all agree Ralph does not like to spend....

Another possibility may be inhouse..and is older..but likely not demand top pay......Buddy Nix who came over from San Diego last year

Ralph hiring an older guy could be possible but also an older guy who is already a GM..or has GM experience would mean more $$$ which we all agree Ralph does not like to spend....

Another possibility may be inhouse..and is older..but likely not demand top pay......Buddy Nix who came over from San Diego last year

He could get Matt Millen at a discount price, he was very successful

DJ may have to go finally even Ralph may see that.

Russ Brandon has made a TON of cash for the Wilsons he is going nowhere; Russ is our GM as loing as he keeps selling tickets with the terrible product he has to sell.

Nice find. Those three seem logical choices, but if any is self-respecting, he wouldn't take the job...with Brandon standing in the VP office as a veto against decisions. Working for Wilson would be insane enough, but working for Wilson and with Brandon would be impossible. Russ must go along with the entire front office.

We all know it won't happen. Good luck to those gentlemen elsewhere.

Particularly like Ross--

Forgot an obvious one--Greg Gabriel with the Chicago Bears--is a Buffalo native...was interested after Donahoe and after Levy...

http://www.chicagobears.com/team/FrontOffi...ont_office_id=7

JoeF, Promoting Russ Brandon from the marketing department was outright peculiar. Only Ralph could think of such an innovative way of not paying for another person to fill a critical vacancy. Keep it in-house and elevate someone not qualified to do the job. But at least he can put out a slick company brochure to the dispirited customer base. :censored:

Particularly like Ross--

Forgot an obvious one--Greg Gabriel with the Chicago Bears--is a Buffalo native...was interested after Donahoe and after Levy...

http://www.chicagobears.com/team/FrontOffi...ont_office_id=7

Yeah, but how successful have the Bears been - really. I hate the Cover 2 that Perry Fewell brought with him by way of Lovie Smith. Ask any Bills fan if they would like to keep our current defensive scheme, and I'm sure you would get a resounding 'NO!'.

Chicago's current philosophies don't work. We need a fresh start, not another re-tread from Chicago.

I like Ross & DeCosta though.

I read this, and completely disagree.

I will also disagree with anyone who thinks we should hire some unproven coordinator as our next head coach.

I think the time for hiring project GM's is over. I want someone who has proven themselves capable, built a winner, and are ready to do it again.

Same thing with coaches. I could care less how successful Mularkey is in Atlanta. He sucked in Buffalo, was kicked out of Miami, and just found his ideal situation. Gregg Williams is the same deal. Successful defensive coordinator. Sucked as a head coach. To the point that the Redskins wouldn't even seriously consider him as a replacement to Gibbs.

The time has come, and the time is right...to secure someone of stature who knows what they are doing. I'm tired of experiments and hopes.

Give me Floyd Reese or Ron Wolf or Bruce Allen at GM.

Give me Holmgren, Gruden, Shottenheimer, or Fisher at head coach.

I will also disagree with anyone who thinks we should hire some unproven coordinator as our next head coach.

I think the time for hiring project GM's is over. I want someone who has proven themselves capable, built a winner, and are ready to do it again.

Same thing with coaches. I could care less how successful Mularkey is in Atlanta. He sucked in Buffalo, was kicked out of Miami, and just found his ideal situation. Gregg Williams is the same deal. Successful defensive coordinator. Sucked as a head coach. To the point that the Redskins wouldn't even seriously consider him as a replacement to Gibbs.

The time has come, and the time is right...to secure someone of stature who knows what they are doing. I'm tired of experiments and hopes.

I think almost everyone would agree with you, but, as Bills fans, we know what is realistic to expect. I could see one of your GM choices coming to fruition (Ron Wolf has been rumored a few times with the Bills, is older, and Ralph likely knows him), but no way do any of those coaches come to Buffalo, with the exception, possbibly of Schottenheimer. I could live with Wolfe and Schottenheimer...but a more likely scenario would be Schottenheimer as GM, and one of his sons as head coach.

JoeF, Promoting Russ Brandon from the marketing department was outright peculiar. Only Ralph could think of such an innovative way of not paying for another person to fill a critical vacancy. Keep it in-house and elevate someone not qualified to do the job. But at least he can put out a slick company brochure to the dispirited customer base. :censored:

I think I wrote that I like Marc ROSS not Russ Brandon....but thanks for the Emily Litella routine...

Finally a blog that makes sense! I agree that we don't want any more projects as far as GM's, Coaches, or sustained losing records like Jauron's. I want a GM like Bill Polian (okay I'm dreaming) or like the ones mentioned above with a sustained

history of a good amount of success....I want Bill Cowher (probably can't have'em okay..!) then maybe John Gruden, Marty over-the-hill Shottenheimer, Jeff Fisher, etc.....as long as the resume includes some success in the playoffs (just getting to the playoffs would be a huge upgrade though!). I also hope (but skeptical) that Kelly's Hereos buy the Bills from Ralph...(but that's alot of funds to put together and Ralph may not sell until the hand is forced by his passing...Well anyways good job/Go Bills!

right on--no more bad experiments