This team is built backwards

billsfan89

Its no secret that this team with DJ is never going to go anywhere but even in the TD era we just weren't building teams the right way.

The way most successful NFL teams build teams

1st- QB

2nd- O-line

3rd- Defensive front 7

4th- Skill positions

5th Secondary

We over the last ten years have not have a good QB or a good offensive line. And with DJ we have invested more in the secondary then anywhere else. Under TD we invested in the front 7 and not much else (and the times we invested elsewhere TD whiffed with fat mike and Losman and to a lesser extent Mcgahee).

Look at other bad teams Detroit kept drafting Wide Receivers and ignoring their QB situation and O-line. Honestly this team needs to get their **** in order and get the fundamentals down with building a team. Take time to draft a QB and then get an offensive line around him. Once you have those 2 things in place get some help on the defensive front 7.

This team currently has a good secondary and decent skill position players but a very average Front 7. The team has a young O-line with a LT and RT they are asking too much from. Then the Qb situation is terrible and even if Edwards might be the guy he has no protection from the offensive line.

IS there any doubt we not only need a new coaching staff but a new GM who realizes what every fan already does? I mean is anyone else feeling like this team is just build fundamentally wrong?

Its no secret that this team with DJ is never going to go anywhere but even in the TD era we just weren't building teams the right way.

1st- QB

2nd- O-line

3rd- Defensive front 7

4th- Skill positions

5th Secondary

We over the last ten years have not have a good QB or a good offensive line. And with DJ we have invested more in the secondary then anywhere else. Under TD we invested in the front 7 and not much else (and the times we invested elsewhere TD whiffed with fat mike and Losman and to a lesser extent Mcgahee).

Look at other bad teams Detroit kept drafting Wide Receivers and ignoring their QB situation and O-line. Honestly this team needs to get their **** in order and get the fundamentals down with building a team. Take time to draft a QB and then get an offensive line around him. Once you have those 2 things in place get some help on the defensive front 7.

This team currently has a good secondary and decent skill position players but a very average Front 7. The team has a young O-line with a LT and RT they are asking too much from. Then the Qb situation is terrible and even if Edwards might be the guy he has no protection from the offensive line.

IS there any doubt we not only need a new coaching staff but a new GM who realizes what every fan already does? I mean is anyone else feeling like this team is just build fundamentally wrong?

Look at Atlanta went for a QB and LT with a new HC, all the difference in the world. Even during SB years we failed to address the DL specifically the NT and interior LB positions.

Well, I for one, feel we have a pretty talanted group of players on this team. I think that our systems & schemes simply suck (Confusion Offense & bend & break in the 4th quarter defense)... as well as game day coaching (sucks).

We are missing a Killer (Ray Lewis) for linebacker and a Hog in the middle, as well as a qb with balls and enthusiasm.

...and for everyone who's going to pile it on (via this thread) to Brandon, Modrak & Guy... don't forget, these men are responsible for the latest & greatest sensation: The Byrdman.

This team has been hanging in there. Coaching sucks. Systems suck. Because of all the injuries, hafta say the training sucks.

There.

1st- QB

2nd- O-line

3rd- Defensive front 7

4th- Skill positions

5th Secondary

I prefer the parcels way of building a team. Start with the lines, and build inside out. If win the line battles, will win more than share of games.

Atlanta won big after getting a new coach and QB, but if look at team, they had a good one already, especially on the lines. Its not like they had been loosing for years, they were like the rest of that division, up one year down the next for a few years. Miami got better after changing coaches as well, and while they picked a new QB off the discard list, it was their line play that made the most improvement, and put them in position to win allot of those battles.

We need to improve the run defense, and the blocking on offensive line if team is ever going to get good again. LB play needs a huge improvement as well. QB play hasn't been good, but not allot of teams are successful when they only have 2 - 2.5 seconds to throw on majority of passes attempted. If they fix the line first, then get a new QB, they wont ruine his confidence by making him throw off back foot, and worry more about getting off quick than about where he is throwing it.

I prefer the parcels way of building a team. Start with the lines, and build inside out. If win the line battles, will win more than share of games.

Atlanta won big after getting a new coach and QB, but if look at team, they had a good one already, especially on the lines. Its not like they had been loosing for years, they were like the rest of that division, up one year down the next for a few years. Miami got better after changing coaches as well, and while they picked a new QB off the discard list, it was their line play that made the most improvement, and put them in position to win allot of those battles.

We need to improve the run defense, and the blocking on offensive line if team is ever going to get good again. LB play needs a huge improvement as well. QB play hasn't been good, but not allot of teams are successful when they only have 2 - 2.5 seconds to throw on majority of passes attempted. If they fix the line first, then get a new QB, they wont ruine his confidence by making him throw off back foot, and worry more about getting off quick than about where he is throwing it.

I feel that the lines are important its just that QB's are so hard to get that you need to develop or draft one high then find a way to protect him AND find a way to get after your opponents QB (Defensive front 7). Football revolves around the QB and if you get a good one its a lot easier to win in the league.

But yeah I get you point stop the run on D with big nasty lines and run it down teams throats with a big nasty line. Parcels and so many others did it that way. My point still stands that this franchise hasn't been building the right way even in theory.

I mean is secondary and running back the way to build the foundation of your team? What good is one of the better secondaries of the league if we can't stop the run. What good are all these Running backs and Wide outs if we don't have a QB that is properly protected to throw the ball and how effective can a running back be if there are no holes from the O-line?

This franchise needs to go out draft a QB round 1 and then go out and get a OT OLB or DT in round 2. Find a QB for !@#$s sake and help out the front seven or Oline in the second round. Its not a panacea but you have to start somewhere.

I feel that the lines are important its just that QB's are so hard to get that you need to develop or draft one high then find a way to protect him AND find a way to get after your opponents QB (Defensive front 7). Football revolves around the QB and if you get a good one its a lot easier to win in the league.

But yeah I get you point stop the run on D with big nasty lines and run it down teams throats with a big nasty line. Parcels and so many others did it that way. My point still stands that this franchise hasn't been building the right way even in theory.

I mean is secondary and running back the way to build the foundation of your team? What good is one of the better secondaries of the league if we can't stop the run. What good are all these Running backs and Wide outs if we don't have a QB that is properly protected to throw the ball and how effective can a running back be if there are no holes from the O-line?

This franchise needs to go out draft a QB round 1 and then go out and get a OT OLB or DT in round 2. Find a QB for !@#$s sake and help out the front seven or Oline in the second round. Its not a panacea but you have to start somewhere.

Both ways can be successful, I just prefer the run first method. Having a great QB can be successful as well, but seems the most of the best QB's were only successful on teams that were able to run the ball when needed and play good defense.

Marino and Elway come to mind, in that Marino never was on a very balanced team, and never one it all, and Elway didn't win it all till the team was able to run the ball at will.

But having a great QB makes running the ball easier if have a descent line and running back, so sort of balances out if get a great one, and you cant do squat if dont have atleast a good QB.

1st- QB

2nd- O-line

3rd- Defensive front 7

4th- Skill positions

5th Secondary

Basically all correct.

Only thing I would say is that RB is easily the most replaceable position on the field. It should be below WR on the importance scale. The problem with the Lions picking WR's was that most of them sucked, not that they were WR's. Megatron was obv. a good pick.

1st- QB

2nd- O-line

3rd- Defensive front 7

4th- Skill positions

5th Secondary

Give me:

1st- QB

2nd- o-line and d-line

3rd- everyone else

Just like core training. The Superbowl Ravens were like this. Trent Dilfer would never have got a ring in other way. If your lines are great then the other pieces only have to do their job. Get the solid foundation and then go get the skill positions. YOur qb doesn't get beat up on the way and all you need is a running back that will hit the holes.

A Franchise QB doesnt Is a needle in a haystack, our front office made some horrible judgement calls there, Rob Johnson had 1 good game filling in in Jacksonville and we throw a first for him, JP wasnt that good in college always was erratic with the ball and we trade up to get him, and without a good oline the Bledsoe trade was uncalled for. When It comes to QB's if you cant get a top rated QB in the draft dont use a first round pick on one it just seems to bite you in the ass. When in doubt grab a "Hog" as many as you can offense, defense doesnt matter if you can control the line of scrimmage you will have success in this game. I give our front office a pass on Mike Williams (anyone would have wiffed on him he was a freak in college) but McCargo was slightly above average in college and played next to Mario Willliams never was worth a first round pick, and Letting Big Pat go, dumb.

Well, I for one, feel we have a pretty talanted group of players on this team. I think that our systems & schemes simply suck (Confusion Offense & bend & break in the 4th quarter defense)... as well as game day coaching (sucks).

We are missing a Killer (Ray Lewis) for linebacker and a Hog in the middle, as well as a qb with balls and enthusiasm.

...and for everyone who's going to pile it on (via this thread) to Brandon, Modrak & Guy... don't forget, these men are responsible for the latest & greatest sensation: The Byrdman.

This team has been hanging in there. Coaching sucks. Systems suck. Because of all the injuries, hafta say the training sucks.

There.

I think that the Bills are a couple of starters (LB, LDE) away from being a top 5 defense. Jauron has done a good coaching job there. On offense however, there's a long way to go. The Bills still need 3 or 4 solid starters to emerge, including at the most important position: QB. Plus the offensive coaching has stunk over the last 4 years. The Bills keep changing systems and coaches and never get anywhere.

There are too many hands in the proverbial cookie jar at OBD.

The issue is that GM-by-committee does not work. Never has. Ralph is having some Al Davis moments these days, and is scared of crapping his depends by loosening his grip some and allowing a true, proven, NFL-worthy GM to run the team.

GM-by-committee will keep this franchise at the bottom.

Guest dog14787

There.

I'm willing to bet DJ had a little say in the Bills draft choices and Jauron was all about the Jairus Byrd pick.

Brandon, Modrak & Guy are the Guys responsible for trying to build a football team half ass backwards. <_<

Basically all correct.

Only thing I would say is that RB is easily the most replaceable position on the field. It should be below WR on the importance scale. The problem with the Lions picking WR's was that most of them sucked, not that they were WR's. Megatron was obv. a good pick.

True running back is easily replaceable many teams have proven that. I think that WR's are important but even though two were busts (Mike Williams and Carlos Rodgers) and one was decent but not a great player (Roy Williams) they kept drafting these guys even thought they were still developing other ones.

I mean they drafted Rodgers and Roy Williams in back to back years then (And remember they didn't know Rodgers was a bust) they drafted Mike Williams instead of getting other top ten players. Then After Rodgers and Mike Williams were deemed busts they needed to draft Calvin Johnson to replenish the talent at that position.

I mean if you keep drafting guys that need other positions to be successful then they won't be successful because you won't have replenished the talent at more important positions. I mean what good is have an elite Wide Reciving core if there isn't a good QB? How good could Wide Receivers be if the a good QB can't get enough time to throw to them?

With the Bills we have seen that no matter how good your skill position talent is they need to be put in a situation to be successful and OL and QB are the guys that put those guys in that position. With the defense how good could a secondary be if the QB gets a shitload of time to throw and the Wide Receivers have time to get open.