NFL Offensive Line Rankings

MaineMoxie

For some reason I only just discovered this, but the NFL now keeps track of offensive line statistics. Click here for the current stats. One of the stats they track is experience. The Bills current line has 56 games of experience. The only other team in the NFL with fewer than 100 games is the Seahawks at 93. The Cowboys have the most experienced line with 535 games. That's nearly ten times what the Bills have.

Guest dog14787
For some reason I only just discovered this, but the NFL now keeps track of offensive line statistics. Click here for the current stats. One of the stats they track is experience. The Bills current line has 56 games of experience. The only other team in the NFL with fewer than 100 games is the Seahawks at 93. The Cowboys have the most experienced line with 535 games. That's nearly ten times what the Bills have.

Yup, the experience stat for the Bills is hilarious :unsure:

Wow, tied for the lead in QB hits. (54)

Talk about an anomaly, look at Titans (ranked 2 overall) whats going on with that team.

Funny, generally speaking how the O-line ranking correspond with the playoff caliber teams, excluding the Steelers, anyway.

All I hear is Big Ben does this with a bad O-line, Ben does that, yada,yada,yada,yada, yada Big Ben is a Freak of nature and anyone that thinks the better O-line doesn't get the job done, there's glaring proof right in front of, just take a look at the rankings.

It's even more absurd when you realize that the vast majority of those 56 games of experience belong to one guy (Hangartner).

As for the Titans, I was talking to a friend of mine about them after the blow-out against the Pats and we're convinced the team has completely given up on Jeff Fisher for some reason. There's no other explanation that I can think of. It's basically the same team that went 13-3 last year.

Makes Romo all the more suspect and the Bills' QB's all the more viable.

Makes Romo all the more suspect and the Bills' QB's all the more viable.

This should catch you some grief around here. I agree, but there are too many that think change is always best. I have also thought Romo has been way over hyped.

As for the Titans, I was talking to a friend of mine about them after the blow-out against the Pats and we're convinced the team has completely given up on Jeff Fisher for some reason. There's no other explanation that I can think of. It's basically the same team that went 13-3 last year.

The Titans are missing Albert Haynesworth. But it's hard to see one guy making them go from 13-3 to 0-6.

This chart showed me one thing sure to make any QB wince: 54 QB hits allowed in 7 games, tied for worst in the NFL. Even though Trent is prone to injury, that's far too many hits. Unless you've got Roethlisberger.

Guest dog14787
The Titans are missing Albert Haynesworth. But it's hard to see one guy making them go from 13-3 to 0-6.

This chart showed me one thing sure to make any QB wince: 54 QB hits allowed in 7 games, tied for worst in the NFL. Even though Trent is prone to injury, that's far too many hits. Unless you've got Roethlisberger.

A QB like Big Ben defies logic. :unsure:

It's even more absurd when you realize that the vast majority of those 56 games of experience belong to one guy (Hangartner).

Good. Maybe Bud will fire him so we COULD sign him (hey, I can dream, can't I?) or better yet trade him for Jauron straight up. :unsure: (Again, hey, I can dream, can't I?)

also, footballoutsiders' O-line ranking.

According to those metrics (which I trust) we rank overall (If you average out the many rankings) around 24-21. Which considering the lack of experience and the Butler injury isn't terrible. I mean if we play the rest of the way and end up 21-19 in terms of metrics rankings for offensive lines then I think thats a good sign for this offensive line.

I mean a line with 3 rookies and a second year player with no starts (And an injury to one of the few experienced players) is going to end up playing better then one third of the leagues offensive lines thats not bad considering the circumstances.

I mean the potential is there and even if a guy like jamon meredith isn't the awnser Butler could be in the plans long term so if Bell can just show improvement we may have a line that can be successful.

who needs experience on the oline? not us!

On the brightside, this same time next year we should break 100 games of experience on the oline!

Its not experience in the league as much as it is playing with each other. I could have 5 guys with 80 starts each and slap them on a line but if they haven't played with each other then they will struggle (Now those guys with 80 starts will take a lot less time to gel because unlike our guys they aren't learning how to play in the NFL along with each other).

It usually takes 12 games to a full year to learn to play with each other even if the guys along the line are experienced players. If this line can just finish out the season and improve notably we will see a line next season (I will assume the interior of Wood-Hangartner-Levitre will be back even if Bell and Jamon are not back) that will be much improved and will rank at least somewhere in the middle of the league at the very least.

I feel like with this O-line we are starting a rookie QB. Its killing this season but in the long it will help us out.

Here's the thing. We have a laughably under-experienced O-line, two questionable QBs, and yet we've managed to win three games despite some horrendous coaching and amateurish FO management. That tells me that there's talent on this team. I'd be curious to know how well this team would do with a real coach supported by an actual GM who knows the game.

Here's the thing. We have a laughably under-experienced O-line, two questionable QBs, and yet we've managed to win three games despite some horrendous coaching and amateurish FO management. That tells me that there's talent on this team. I'd be curious to know how well this team would do with a real coach supported by an actual GM who knows the game.

It tells me they've beat up on bad teams. Carolina is getting to be a dumpster fire at 2-4, the Jets are 4-3, and TB is 0-7. Combined W-L is 6-14. Just about par for the course when you roll back the layers behind DJ.

DJ was 57-76 entering the season. My records indicated his record against in these categories:

13-43 against playoff teams

44-33 against non-playoff teams.

So DJ is living up to reality once again. Beat up on bad to mediocre teams, while getting creamed by good teams.

Guest dog14787

We have a defensive minded HC who specializes in coaching DB's and we are winning ball games now with our DB's is what it boils down to, and if we had any help at all from the Offense we would probably be a real nasty Football team to play against.

Someone posted our opposing QB rating averaged out to the lowest in the league, I believe it was a 58 QB rating, but that's going by memory and not my stats so take it for what its worth.

Players like Jairus the bird man Byrd are stepping up and winning ball games and doing it for their Head coach Dick Jauron.

Are the Buffalo Bills building an identity...

It's a cascade effect. Without Haynesworth, they have no middle push and the center of their defense is much weaker. Without the center push, the DEs have been getting whipped. No pressure on the QB and the secondary is riddled with injuries. Teams are lighting them up in the passing game. Throw in the loss of Schwartz and a newbie DC and you have a mess. Because they fall behind so quickly, their preferred mode of attack with the running game is tossed out the window and they are forced to air it out. [Edit: In airing it out, their receivers have been putrid. Like someone once said, they'd complete more passes throwing it into a tree.] This team wasn't built to try and put up 50 or 60 points a game in a shootout. Because of their 13-3 finish last year, they also get to play a tough schedule. Now, Bud Adams has apparently decided that he wants Vince Young in there. Haynesworth was and is a totally dominating player and was the key to their defensive success.

Nearly halfway through the season, and the Bills have 1 rushing TD. Overflowing with potential, though.

If there's one word that's been tossed around far too much, it's potential. All it means, as mentioned repeatedly, is you ain't done nothing yet and that about sums up Buffalo Bills football from 2000-2009.

It all starts up front. Unfortunately for us, our QB, our, RBs, and our WRs, it is not getting done up front. This is a broken record. Unless and until our offensive line upgrades its play or is upgraded, don't expect much success on offense.