DeSean Jackson v. James Hardy

sharper802

Although i still say give the kid a chance, I have to agree that just watching Hardy run routes makes me a bit nervous. He just looks like he is stumbling over himself during his cuts and when going up for the ball. I just dont get how the scouting dept. didnt see that when evaluating him because it does seem to stand out. I guess maybe they figured we could coach him up like we did with.....(crickets)....well at least they are optimistic. In his defense, I do remember them saying something like Indiana's offense had no resemblance to a pro-style offense, and basically Hardy was never taught how to run precise routes.
More specifically, I remember reading last season that:

1) Hardy never had to adjust his routes based on coverage when he was in college.

2) The Bills coaches didn't know that until he showed up at practice.

1) I can find understandable. 2) is almost unbelievable.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya know, I don't remember seeing him run any routes for almost a year, so my memory's a little cloudy - but hey, the TSW experts have deemed Hardy a bust based his 3 starts in '08, so it must be true :thumbdown:

I thought he looked pretty good on this play - actually, just the exact reason we drafted him...

Anatomy of a Play Extra: Hardy's game-winning touchdown

Ya know, I don't remember seeing him run any routes for almost a year, so my memory's a little cloudy - but hey, the TSW experts have deemed Hardy a bust based his 3 starts in '08, so it must be true :thumbdown:

I thought he looked pretty good on this play - actually, just the exact reason we drafted him...

Anatomy of a Play Extra: Hardy's game-winning touchdown

AHH yes the play heard round the Hardy camp. Man for a guy with such a spotty memory, how did you remember that one play? I guess because it was a very unique play. Hardy was behind the power curve his rookie season and has yet to return from his injury. His uphill climb is even greater now and the timetable is further away. This can't be overlooked when grading a draft pick.

AHH yes the play heard round the Hardy camp. Man for a guy with such a spotty memory, how did you remember that one play? I guess because it was a very unique play. Hardy was behind the power curve his rookie season and has yet to return from his injury. His uphill climb is even greater now and the timetable is further away. This can't be overlooked when grading a draft pick.

My memory's not really 'spotty' per se - like I said, I'm just having trouble recalling him run any routes in almost a year.

Oh, that's right - he hasn't. I guess tearing his ACL last December must be the reason he's a bust???

Do you realize how insane you sound when you take opinions and play them off as facts? You did this in the Ellison thread too. Pretty soon it's going to come back at you. Maybe not with Hardy, but you've made a lot of ridiculous statements so far, and it's going to be real fun watching you respond when you eventually get called out.

Do you realize how insane you sound when you take opinions and play them off as facts? You did this in the Ellison thread too. Pretty soon it's going to come back at you. Maybe not with Hardy, but you've made a lot of ridiculous statements so far, and it's going to be real fun watching you respond when you eventually get called out.

[/quote

I will gladly own up to being wrong.

My memory's not really 'spotty' per se - like I said, I'm just having trouble recalling him run any routes in almost a year.

Oh, that's right - he hasn't. I guess tearing his ACL last December must be the reason he's a bust???

Yes tearing his ACL has alot to do with being a bust. IMO, his ability will be the main factor though.

They're completely different types of recievers. When we drafted Hardy, one of the biggest needs was a tall receiver. We got the tallest one. Desean Jackson is a burner type, a la Lee Evans and Roscoe Parrish. We didn't need anothe rone of those.

totally agree. Everyone in Buffalo knew we needed a big target a WR that year. We weren't looking for another small quick receiver, we wanted a target in the redzone. It's easy after the fact to be critical of the Bills for drafting the "wrong" WR but after the draft I think most everyone was happy we drafted Hardy.

So the Bills FO drafted a guy the masses would be happy with instead of the guy with more talent. Makes sense to me.

Actually they feel they drafted the guy with the most raw talent, but knew he needed work on his route running, since he hadn't played the position long, and was in a very basic offence. They underestimated how much work he needed, but he still has a ton of potential. Hopefully the time off gave him a chance to learn the play books, and watch the way the other receivers run the routes.

With TO here, when he does come back he wont see the field allot most likely, but at least will get time in practice to work on his shortcomings, and develop more. I wouldn't be surprised if he was starting next year, but don't expect him to be a top tier receiver.

They're completely different types of recievers. When we drafted Hardy, one of the biggest needs was a tall receiver. We got the tallest one. Desean Jackson is a burner type, a la Lee Evans and Roscoe Parrish. We didn't need anothe rone of those.

This IS what people said. At the time I said (many times) that we didn't need a tall reciever, we needed a GOOD reciever, and if he was tall, so much the better. I'm not always right but I certainly was in that case.

Who knows, perhaps Hardy will become a good reciever down the road. But there's no question that Jackson has shown up so far as a much better player.

Who knows, perhaps Hardy will become a good reciever down the road. But there's no question that Jackson has shown up so far as a much better player.

And there's also no question that Hardy's taller.

Yes, so far Jackson certainly looks better than the guy who hasn't played all season due to a torn ACL. :lol:

Dammit, Gump - you must be some kind of genius!

UMMMM lets see.......Hardy had a poor year as a Rookie.(some say) TO comes in and so far has failed. Reed has failed as the #2 for years prior to Hardy coming in.........You begin to wonder if it is the WR in place or the QB or better yet the offenseive coaching scheme. Im sorry but you can put Fitzgerald, Wayne, Colsten, Johnson in a Bills uniform, and this offense would still fail. Buffalo is borring. The team is borring. The coaching staff is boring. Indy, Philly, New orleans, New england, Denver, GB, Ariz are exciting teams and will be for years to come.........5 years from now Bills will still be boring.

This is my favorite. The level of optimism was probably never higher than in the early '80's. We were a laughing stock of the league, and within the next 5 years turned into an offensive powerhouse, then progressed into the most exciting offense the game has ever seen.

I am not a card carrying member of the Hardy fan club, but I hope he proves my initial impression of bust wrong. Fact is T.O. was supposed to fill that role, and the chances of him hanging around until there is an overhaul in the FO are less than zero. He wants to compete and play to win (see Edwards, Herman) not play in this dysfunctional system. I know many will say good riddance, but he will go somewhere else and put up good numbers next year. The TSW can say he was dogging it in Buffalo...and so it goes. Fact is we STILL need a big receiver, and we STILL have Hardy. It would be too nice to see him commit himself to his position and turn his physical prowess and raw talent into a true NFL asset.

I don't think we are a year away from the vaunted K-Gun, but with an exciting coach, or at least one with a pulse, and a tackle or two, we can have the kind of offense that you see on TV. I have to laugh when I see a QB throwing the ball all over the place...it has become such a foreign concept in Buffalo as of late, I almost forgot what it looked like.

And there's also no question that Hardy's taller.

Yes, so far Jackson certainly looks better than the guy who hasn't played all season due to a torn ACL. :worthy:

Dammit, Gump - you must be some kind of genius!

The Bills have played 23 regular season games since drafting Hardy and the Eagles have played 22.

James Hardy has been active for 14 of the 23 games.

James Hardy- 9 receptions for 87 yards and 2 TDs

Desean Jackson- 83 receptions for 1,335 yards and 5 TDs, 211 rushing yards and 2 tds, 2 punt return tds

One can make the argument that the Eagles are a better offense and that is undisputable. You could also make the argument that the Bills were one of the more desperate teams at WR in the NFL last year and Hardy played his way off the field. Desean Jackson has played his way into the number 1 role on a deep Eagle's WR group. In addition to this he has proved a major value outside of just recieving. It's a joke of a comparison. Hardy wouldn't see the field in Philly, even if he was healthy.

James Hardy's injury is part of being a bust. It's unfortunate that he suffered the injury, but a player's ability to stay healthy is undeniably important. The injury couldn't have come at a worse time of his career in terms of development. It will be interesting to see how much action he sees this year.

if we drafter desean you really think his numbers would be any better than hardy's? You think if eagles drafter hardy his numbers would be that much lower than desean's.

I can guarantee if those 2 players switched teams this thread would be the opposite of what it is.

The Bills have played 23 regular season games since drafting Hardy and the Eagles have played 22.

James Hardy has been active for 14 of the 23 games.

James Hardy- 9 receptions for 87 yards and 2 TDs

Desean Jackson- 83 receptions for 1,335 yards and 5 TDs, 211 rushing yards and 2 tds, 2 punt return tds

One can make the argument that the Eagles are a better offense and that is undisputable. You could also make the argument that the Bills were one of the more desperate teams at WR in the NFL last year and Hardy played his way off the field. Desean Jackson has played his way into the number 1 role on a deep Eagle's WR group. In addition to this he has proved a major value outside of just recieving. It's a joke of a comparison. Hardy wouldn't see the field in Philly, even if he was healthy.

James Hardy's injury is part of being a bust. It's unfortunate that he suffered the injury, but a player's ability to stay healthy is undeniably important. The injury couldn't have come at a worse time of his career in terms of development. It will be interesting to see how much action he sees this year.

Put Jackson on the Bills team...........What are his stats based on what you seen with the Bills QB play and coaching. The Two team are completely different.

for real... comments like these are stupid. It's easy to sit here and criticize everyone after the fact. but you were probably all the same people who were pumped we picked hardy when we did. You know there were hundreds of players taken after hardy and I'm sure a bunch of them would have been better picks... matt forte, eddie royal, ray rice, limus sweed, steve johnson... seventh round

the point is... you're all a bunch of whiners... why don't you jump ship to the newest greatest team that makes all the right draft picks... because I'm sure new england or pittsburgh have never made a mistake in the draft. or.... you can be good fans and be excited to have a former 2nd round draft pick back in the lineup and hopefully eat your words when he does something good.

I don't know... but I've always thought of the glass half full...

losers look at it half empty.... it's the power of persuasion... billieve in the loss and it will be yours....