Andy Levitre

NoName

2009 and beyond O-line proper assignments:

Bell- back-up

Levitre- back-up

Hangartner- back-up

Wood- capable starter

Meredith/Scott- out of NFL (I didn't see enough of Butler at RT before he got hurt but was a capable RG)

And one wonders why we cant run or pass the ball.

These rookies are performing much better than expected IMO. They have taken their lumps but overall the interior of the line is much better than the outside. With a solid off-season of strength and conditioning these guys will be better and this year's playing time should prove invaluable. As much as I am dissapointed in the Qb play, I'd like to see a continuos commitment to the lines. It's like money in the bank and the building blocks of a good franchise. :worthy:

Bell- back-up

Levitre- back-up

Hangartner- back-up

Wood- capable starter

Meredith/Scott- out of NFL (I didn't see enough of Butler at RT before he got hurt but was a capable RG)

I think you are a bit harsh in your assessments. I think folks who see them developing into a quality OL in 2010 are probably be doing some wishful thinking but I think your views are probably simply the other end of going to far. I think a more reasonable middle course assessment would be:

Bell- definitely back-up quality at this point. Has shown some extraordinary talent so far but potential simply means you are not there yet. Only needing a full year of playing to bring him up to the level we want seems like wishful thinking as he needs to improve not only his physical side (simply needs to put on some more muscle but do so without losing speed- this means adding muscle rather than just merely weight and this takes time) and on the mental side (way too many false start penalties should be reduced over time, 2011 is a more reasonable timeline for him to develop into a starter at the level we want.

LeVitre- also at back-up levels at current look. However, does show some promise but definitely not a sure thing and in fact if he suffers the not atypical sophomore slump 2011 may be a reasonable aspiration for him to achieve the levels we want. Calls he has had for holding a couple of times this year show he may be a bit overmatched and one wishes his learning could have come in practice and pre-season rather than a trial by fire trying to prevent Trent from being concussed.

Hamgartner- true he was a back-up for the most part prior to this season. but from backing up at a number of positions in his time he has learned the whole offensive blocking techniques that increase his ability to call blocking assignments at C. This backup actually forced his way into the starting line-up half the Panthers schedule last year. He actually has proved to be a not unreasonable choice to be C on an OL with basically zero pro experience. With 7 years in the league he can last a few more years as well, but it is doubtful he will be more than good when what this team wants and probably needs is a excellent OL in the Kent Hull mode who arguably is an HOF caliber player. Hamgartner is good but not great. To declare him a back-up though is too harsh a judgment

Wood- His viewed as better than LeVitre because while LeVitre may become a stud, Wood shows signs that he will be a stud. His demeanor and the leadership ability he has shown as a rookie are outstanding. Like LeVitre he clearly needs to benefit from playing more. However, though Hangartner is young enough to play center for us for the next few years, the way the Bills braintrust sings his praises we may see the two flip roles next year.

Meredith/Scott- its a bit harsh and probably incorrect to declare them out of football soon. OL players simply are too valuable and develop to slowly for this to be true of players trusted as starters today. They are certainly inadequate starters but the bench is a more likely destination for them than unemployment.

At this point, I would say we have no OL studs, 2 starting caliber linemen (Wood & Hangartner), 2 backup caliber players (Levitre & Bell) and 1 developmental project (Meredith). There was not way to judge Butler or Scott because they didn't play enough.

Next year, players may improve... but they may not.

I may go as far as 4/5, I like Bell and Meredith. Maybe I am too optimistic, but I think they have potential. They were thrown into a tough situation that they weren't ready for and I believe they will improve...

not sure what you could like about them. Our running game is putrid, bell gets 2-4 penalties a game, our qb has been dropping back and looking to checkdown or run after 3 seconds all year. I think our oline is terrible and our weakest link, besides qb. We NEED at least 2 new olineman if we're gonna suceed.

I love how people give these guys (Really just Bell but Andy too) 7 weeks and say aw, they suck. Bell was raw as ****, did you expect him to be great his 1st season? I didn't I thought he'd be worse that what he is. Saying Andy is a back-up type your dumb he has played just as well as Wood if not better. You have to give this YOUNG line time. They aren't very good now but have the chance the be very good.

Bell- back-up

Levitre- back-up

Hangartner- back-up

Wood- capable starter

What an awful post. Are you Spartacus' svengali lover? God, what a waste of bandwidth.

Bell- back-up

Levitre- back-up

Hangartner- back-up

Wood- capable starter

That is a bit harsh. Wood and Levitre are more than capable starters. Hang is solid but I would feel better if we were so solid on the OL he as a backup - which is not saying he cant start and be solid I just would like to be more dominant up front.

Bell and Meredith are backups I agree. People want these players to develope, well let them develope as backups. IF they develpoe (not all players do FYI) then they can be starters. NOT the other way around. OL is a position players dont normally need time to develope. Rookies come in every season and play like stud veterns. Late round picks are different I understand, but Bell has not lived up to the expectations and IMO has not improved much from what I saw of him last preseason. He does not play strong or quick enough, and is a penalty machine. Unlike most I was fairly impressed with Meredith lask week. I would have expected much worse from him blocking Peppers every play - dont get me wrong he was not the best but no worse than the others we have had in, and they werent blocking the most physically dominant DE in football.. As far as watching a player and seeing upside, I see a lot more with Meredith than Bell. He may only be a career RT though, which relegates him to backup duty with Butler coming back, who is still a ? at RT.

Hopefully we can draft a top LT to start instantly, Move Butler back to G, Wood to Center, and Bell or Meredith can develope into the RT. That way Hang is the first OL off the bench no matter where the injury occurs (Butler kicks out to T, Wood to G etc.) It is still early, but the OL does need adressing - no one could argue differently.

I love the way we took J. Meredith -- we got a player who can perform now and for the future with high upside, and did not cost us a good draft pick. Despite all of the negative criticism, that was another great FO move.

The future of this OL is looking very bright.

Agreeed this was a really great Fo move.

Same as an extra draft pick really, that bears fruit and plays.

Surprised, but, they got it right for once.

Guest dog14787
These rookies are performing much better than expected IMO. They have taken their lumps but overall the interior of the line is much better than the outside. With a solid off-season of strength and conditioning these guys will be better and this year's playing time should prove invaluable. As much as I am dissapointed in the Qb play, I'd like to see a continuos commitment to the lines. It's like money in the bank and the building blocks of a good franchise. :doh:

The Bills O-line is horrible and Wood is the only decent starter we have at this point in my opinion :worthy:

We lead the league in getting our QB hit at 54 which equals out to almost 8 hits a game or 2 a quarter and that's nothing to do with the pressures. Even T.O. who has never been shy about throwing his QB under the bus puts the blame of his quote "pathetic" offensive output so far this season on the inexperienced O-line and an offense that lacks the sophistication needed to get him the ball properly.